NOD32 v2.7 not updating

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Stijnson, Jan 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ideafix

Ideafix Registered Member

Same here!
    I re-installed windows on Dec. 31 and till now I am unprotected (yes, because signatures dating from 18 May 2007 is the same has having no protection at all).
    I am amazed that ESET continues allowing this to happen, since this has happened every time a larger update comes out.
    Leaving users without protection for several days is a bad business strategy - it's the second time this has happened to me since I got NOD32 and let me tell you that I don't feel safe! It's like trying my luck at the lottery every time I re-install windows.
    When the time comes to renew my license I may ponder a more stable product instead - which is a shame, because I really like NOD32 (when it is actually working propperly).
    By the way: The message NOD displays upon failure is both useless and a lie! How hard is it to replace it with one that doesn't lie to your face, telling you that you are protected when in fact you aren't?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  2. windance

windance Registered Member

For whatever reason, I had the updating problem past few days too. BUT... after reading these few posts, I found a solution a few posts back and will emphasize it.

1) Unless it 'really' updates, yes, you keep getting the message, "Your version of NOD32 is up to date. No update necessary". Dumb in view of the fact that you can see how old your file is.

2) Windows (if you still allow it) tells you it's NOT up to date. But ... HiTech_boy had the answer, simple as that:

I am using 2.7 trial on dektop and ver 3 full on lap and both had stopped updating automatically. But with the HiTech_boy method: just keep hitting update until it does work. If you have in auto update setup 'choose automatically' for server, it will eventually find a server and update you. On the desktop, it took 14 trys in a row. On the laptop 21 tries. :) But it found a server and updated. Obviously there IS a problem but hey, until it's fixed for those of us who have the problem, keep hitting update. Worked for me.....

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  3. brunos

brunos Registered Member

No mather what you do in last 24h, even after 50 times of pressing manually the "Update now" button, every single time it says it is "Up-to-date" but it is not at all!!!
    I installed today Eset NOD32 2.70.39 Trial and i cannot Update at all, not even on my test PC with yesterday installed freshly MSWinXPSP2, and I installed that just for this testing Eset purpose!!!
    In last 10 days I have numerous people and colegges complains about Eset NOD32 2.70.39 - legall, ilegall, still valid Trials, whats so ever...
    Every single one have difficulties or totaly permanate problem with any Updateing at all in last prox. 10 days!!!
    Right now, I am written this on right this and mine Test PC with the last official Update of Eset NOD32 2.70.39 from the default date of Virus signature database and that is ancient: 2047(20070208 )...
    And it still says that it is Up-to-date after 50 pressings of the same "Update now" button. It is resiliant and the quicker I press "Update now" button, the quicker he says that I am Up-to-date" :) :-( ...

Well, this is all that I have to say right now, and actually for the first time here ever on this great Forum...
    I just want to say that verry well known "catch" with "be patient" and press "Update Now" button more than once not function here any more at all, because I try this all day long today, and every single time I am so-called and falsely "Up-to-date". i will even not say that many people do not know how to check is this true or not, so they cute and naive believe that they are safe to maximum possiblle and present way...

Fruthermore, only one of mine colegge was able to really Update Eset NOD32 2.70.39, but that was before some 27 hours ago, and that Update was supriselly huge - prox. 8.5MB (?!)

~~At the verry end here, i just want to say that I am really honered to be a part of this Forum for the first time now actually, and it is not too late to wish you all here a great whole New Year 2008!~~

4. biggerbyte

biggerbyte Registered Member

As of 1/6/08, ver. 2767 is out. I found a server that gave me the, "update". I say it this way, because even though the version number is correct on my computer, just as it was with 2766, both of these downloads were very quick, and they seemed to do nothing but change the version number. I was watching the update and saw nothing being "downloaded" like we usually do. It just had a very short pause before changing the version number. I might be wrong, but It seems like something is not right here with this. Folks, until we find out for sure, I'd suggest we all not feel exactly comfortable that we are protected past anything on that larger download, which I think was 2765. All of the above mentioned updates were difficult to get, just as this thread speaks about. I'm not sure what to do until eset gets this fixed. One thing is for sure, I DO NOT feel safe right now with NOD 32.

5. cdx

cdx Registered Member

Re: NOD32 v2.7 not updating - the solution

I registered just to make this one post but I think it's worth it if it helps you as much as windance's post helped me. What he and HiTech_boy said is true - hit "Update now" enough times and it should work. It did for me. In short:

Update now
    Update now
    Update now
    Update now

Keeping the mouse over the "Update now" button and hitting Space for OK speeds up the process a bit to around one try per second. My trial 2.70.39 succeeded after about two minutes of trying. An aggressive fast song helps too:)

PS: This works for someone with a new installation of nod32. For automatic update better hope the staff to fix it or get used to clicking:)

6. richo

richo Registered Member

The lack of comment from an ESET representative is disappointing to say the least. This is clearly very concerning for many users.

7. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

Every time you hit the update button, it also changes the server from witch it starts to download. So IMO if you are hitting the update button more then ones, you will find a server that's not to busy. You just scroll faster true the list of servers.

8. brunos

brunos Registered Member

Well, I believe that some Users really was able to download from legitimate Eset Download Update servers today.
    Personally, I am not unexperianced users and all this tricks is verry well know to me. I have Eset NOD32 from the year 2000 on my PCs, and I work professionaly with Computers some 19 years cumulative.
    I am completelly aware that Eset have numerous legitimate Servers, and that every time when I press "Update Now" he will change to some other legitimate Server, if the prior trying was unsucesfull.
    But, when I said that after 50 tryings and more than 15 people that I know have the same particullar problem with Eset NOD32 2.70.39 in last prox. 2 days, than I am not getting the logic, why some here are so resiliant to except that (?!)

Something goes on, I had never such a problem with Eset in last 6 and a half years... I'll just hope that people will finally believe now what I wrote...

On the completelly other hand, all legitimate Users that I personally know, that has Eset NOD32 3.x did not have any problem with Updateing it at all.

I am a Computer expert, I know the people and I give my self time to investigate this during last 2 days. On the other hand, people calls me in panic what should they do...

At last, if after some 15 people, only one was able to really Update from Official Update Server, that is telling me that something is wrong here and that is not the fruit of mine imagination or unexperiances...

9. apm

apm Registered Member

Using nod32 version 2.70.39, still can't update, the sig date is still 20080101, how come it takes so long. Now begin to hear from others having the same problem too, they some use trial, some registered version. Is this only 2.7 problem or for all Nod users? But Eset should say something to their customers.

10. spiketoo

spiketoo Registered Member

Same here - finally got the 8MB update from server u41.eset.com.

11. brunos

brunos Registered Member

The users with allready registered versions of Eset NOD32 3.x or Eset ESS 3.x DOES NOT have any problem with Updateing. The same goes for this versions but in Trial versions which aint pass to zero days left...

The problem is ONLY present in all Eset NOD32 2.70.39 or earlier...

I believe that Eset has two types of Servers or more:

a) First, slow and older Servers for the Trial Users and for users in b) figure here, if the b) figure here is overload

b) Second, new and fast Servers exclusively for Registered users

Well, according on that rule, te Eset NOD32 2.70.39 users maybe, hierarchy viewed, just maybe, has lower Update priority than users with Eset NOD32 3.x or Eset ESS 3.x

Maybe I am wrong here, I'll hope I am, but I know some Corporations even in my Country, that work on the above rule or similar...
    Nothing can surprise me any more, although, like I said, I love Eset for years...

The last here - yes, affirmative, still no any official response from Eset directly?!

Some of my knowed people during last two days just said in their own black and pesimistic humour, maybe they all want from us that we pursue to buy newest Eset NOD32 3.x, and totally dump the Eset NOD32 2.7x to the garbage...

I completelly understand that Eset is not God here, and that is so-called normall that they have some problems with Updates sometime, but, yes, I think so, that they need at least respond with some newsflash here...
    We will not kill anybody if they have some problem, well once in a few years...
    So what... But it will be finally polite to respond in some common manner and time... I do not get it either...o_O!!!

At the totally end, some people here and on some other Forums decide to temporary go on some wiled and unofficial Download Servers...
    I do not think that this is clever and wised...

I personaly know at least 34 unofficialy download Servers right now for Eset. On the other hand I had never use them or advice someone to use it, of mine friends and colegges. Why? - Despite the fact that Eset has the really fair price, I do not trust unnoffical Updates whick can be some repacks - they are not probaly digitally signed by Eset any more, and they can contain an malware infiltrations... The hacker can repack the Update file and put something in it... So, next time, please be aware of that posiblle scenario...

12. xxrpxx

xxrpxx Registered Member

Same here

13. xxrpxx

xxrpxx Registered Member

Just updated to latest version ... For GMT+8 users, do note that the eset server is less busy during 2000hr (GMT+:cool:

14. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The update problem affected only users of NOD32 v2. Those who have ESS/EAV installed and update it on a regular basis will never encounter such a problem because of the way the new update files are distributed. The problem lasted for less than 24 hours until all paying users had downloaded the large 8 MB update file. Trial users could not receive an update during that period, but here I must add that the trial version for OS Windows 2000 and newer was replaced with a trial version of ESS/EAV which is actually a full version with a temporary username/password embedded.

15. Stijnson

Stijnson Registered Member

Hi Marcos, thanks for your reply. Can you confirm that all new definitions are in fact installed correctly and that NOD32 2.7 isn't just 'rising' the definitions number?

16. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The version number rises after a successful load of the engine.

17. noway

noway Registered Member

Do you know if ESET has made any improvements so that this will not happen again in the future?

ie.

a notification on their website admitting there is a problem, and why?
    workarounds, like having a downloadable updater executable on their web site just before the next 8 MB update is rolled out?
    more update servers?

18. bpk

bpk Registered Member

so it works fine now?

19. Stijnson

Stijnson Registered Member

Meaning that the definitions are installed correctly I assume?

20. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Installed correctly and working . If they weren't downloaded correctly , NOD32 would auto revert to the previous version

21. src2206

src2206 Registered Member

So what's the conclusion? Can we update our 2.7 or not? I tried the version 3 but did not like it. I am still with 2.7 and I would prefer to remain so. I tried that hitting manual update button for (hell knows) how many times but it never worked and I am stuck with 2047 update 'cause I reinstalled it today after i found that NOD32 was not updating anymore but giving me an "up to date virus definition" notification. And I'm in a mess now :( Please clarify..... I am using a licensed version yet to expire and XP as OS.

22. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Marcos must clarify but I think 2.7 trial is not supported , it just can't be made update . If you want to use 2.7 and want to trial it , contact ESET representative and ask for NFR license . This license is real license and will let you try the product for some time with the priority of paid user . With this NFR license for ESS (for example) you can use whatever ESET product you want -> either ESS or EAV v3 , or NOD32 v2 as long as the NFR license is active .

Then , after it expires , you can purchase and use v2 (if you don't like v3) till it is supported

23. 4L3X

4L3X Registered Member

I think the only people that cant update any more are the people on the trial versions of 2.7, and if you have a proper paid for 2.7 you can still update with your username and password.

In short 2.7 i guess trial aint supported , as they have removed the links to it from their webpages also :(

24. biggerbyte

biggerbyte Registered Member

I need someone to clarify this, and hopefully soon. 2770 was out today. My computer auto installed this upon bootup of my machine this afternoon. It was a fluke however, because my roommates machine would not update to 2770 without a hassle. We are both trialing 2.7.

If this is true, what a shame. I don't like ver. 3.0, and the troubles others are having concernes me. I'm afraid eset is biting off their own nose to spite their face. Many new and potential customers will go elsewhere in fear of what they are reading about ver. 3. I even heard of some having to uninstall it, and that uninstall somehow messed up the operating system. Some have complained of trouble going back to 2.7. I don't have time for any of that.

The smart thing for ESET to have done was to provide support and downloads for 2.7 across the board until 3.0 was stable for all.

25. xxrpxx

xxrpxx Registered Member

Mine will not update to 2770 automatically HELPPP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.