NOD32 says this file is OK but I think it's Malware

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by mobileworm, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mobileworm

mobileworm Registered Member

Hi everyone. I am new here. Recently, I installed a trial copy of NOD32 on my Windows Vista 32-bit Laptop.

I'm trying out several AV suites before finally deciding which one to purchase. NOD32 is the 3rd AV that I'm testing after Norton Internet Security 2008 and Kaspersky Internet Security 2009.

I have read a lot of positive reviews about NOD32 so I included it on my list.

Anyway, today I received an obvious spam e-mail with the subject: "Best AntiVirus 2008." When I opened the e-mail, google mail posted a big red warning on top with the following message: "Warning: This message may not be from whom it claims to be. Beware of following any links in it or of providing the sender with any personal information."

Well, I felt that it was an opportunity for me to test NOD32's capability. I downloaded the file "setup.exe" to my desktop and scanned it using NOD32. I am surprised that NOD32 didnt pick up anything. Now, if I was somebody who didn't know better, I would have clicked on the installer and eventually compromised my system.

If anyone wants to check the file, here's the link:

~Link removed. No possible links to malware are to be posted on these forums. - Ron~

While I understand that there is no perfect AV system/suite, I think this one is fairly easy to spot for any AV. Anyway, I hope somebody from ESET check this out and do something about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2008
  2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

mobileworm,

Send the file to ESET. Do not post such links on this forum.

This is a support forum and not a testbed for malware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.