NOD32 questions

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by n8chavez, Nov 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I am trying to decide whether to buy KAV or NOD and am excited that they both will have new version (hopefully soon). I have used both in the past and like both very much My questions regarding NOD are:

1. ESET used to say that NOD was not anti malware but antivirus? Has this changed? Suites aside, how good is malware protection?

2. What other products do I need if I use NOD (eg. antispyware, etc.)

3. In the AMON setting, under the security tab, there is an option to "load the file system monitor dynamically." That option is greyed out and I can't select it. What is it and should I be concerned that I can't select it?

3. Until version 3 is released, what registry protection should I use. I have been using MJ RegWatcher.

Thanks Firecat, you just can't beat $29.50 for a two-year student discounted licence.

2. Farbod

Farbod Registered Member

1. Nod32 is Anti Threat System (TM) which firewall & antispam will be added soon. (in the next 10 years) :D

2. Now, you need only Firewall (and antispam). nod32 is checkmark certified for spyware detection.

3. from amon help: On certain Windows 95/98 you may experience a problem with shutdown. If installing the appropriate patch for Windows 98 SE provided by Microsoft does not make any difference, you may try enabling the Load resident protection dynamically option (not available on NT systems).

4. this one, I don't know ;)

3. n8chavez

I need to ask this and then I won't ask anything else about v3, but is this new version going to be the suite that was rumored? I really don't need a suite as I use LnS and spamslueth. I won't by it then if it is a suite, I don't need all the pieces. It's a shame to because I was just getting excited over NOD.

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I'd say that it's excellent all around antimalware protection, see, for example, av-comparatives.org test results and look by category.

Personally, I recommend something like BOClean and/or something proactive and pretty much dispense with AS software.

Ask yourself whether you need it and at what level (i.e. intercept vs. polling operation). Before switching based on casual recommendations here, try to acquaint yourself with the differences and how other components in your security setup could address some of the potential limitations of a polling type registry watcher. If you want standalone best-in-class, look at RegDefend.

It's probably best to wait until there is some formal public information available before worrying about feature set details. If they go that way, and that is the direction much of the market is taking, most vendors have tiered product categories and/or very modular designs. Your posture is, well, a little premature to say the least.

Blue

5. dog

dog Guest

NOD becoming a suite is currently just a rumour. ;) Even if Eset does move in this direction, it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that they would offer and sell both a stand alone AV and the suite package. So I wouldn't base your decision on purchasing NOD on this criteria.

Regards;

Steve

6. n8chavez

Well that is certainy good news. I know that KAV does the same thing which is great for someone for someone that wants an antimalware (AV) an not a suite. YEA :p

7. Farbod

Farbod Registered Member

Only a bit from...

FW & AS will probably come bundled with NOD32 as optional extras @ no extra charge... I think. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.