NOD32 or KIS 2006?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by gracie123, Oct 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I heard KAV2006 stopped those latest Beagles with Proactive Defense...

2. fosius

fosius Registered Member

So what do you say about this one? Never submitted and only NOD32 picked it up... don't show only cases when KAV succeed and NOD32 failed...

Attached Files:

• img.JPG
      img.JPG
      File size:
      49.5 KB
      Views:
  3. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Propably you didn't read the quote in that post you was writing about. I meant to show only the reaction time against those common trojanlike nasties scanned in Jotti's and VT. That Kaspersky example was only there because it's true that they are the quickiest to add all kind of signatures overall.

Btw, does anybody know if BitDefender has done some changes to the heuristics engine lately just because of my scanning results?

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Well, maybe you think that adding several thousands signatures incoming every day is a doddle. I wouldn't be surprised if the file dropped would be picked up by NOD32. In my opinion, it's much more important to detect dropped files rather than the dropper itself.

I'm enclosing another example which is not a dropper but a trojan itself. It's detected only by 3 AVs, including NOD32.

Please remember that signatures are picked up on a per-need basis which means not everything is added immediately. It's a matter of fact that no AV will detect every malicious file. However, some of them pose bigger threats than the others (e.g. trojans vs droppers).

Attached Files:

5. Firefighter

Just now this race is going to even more strange direction. Look at QuickHeal now.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Attached Files:

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I heard that KAV may improve its file heuristics (not the proactive defense) in the coming year. :)

7. Tooltimetim

Tooltimetim Registered Member

I would say that both are very good antivirus's. But because Kaspersky I believe probably has more signatures in it, its more likely to find an old virus or kind of malware than to rely on advanced heuristics which NOD32 has which is a 50/50 chance on catching anything. Advanced heuristics are helpful yes... but not as helpful as signatures + quickness in responding to new threats.

Does anyone agree?

8. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

No I don't agree. I think heuristics would be based on previously seen behaviour and would be just as likely catch something that has not been seen for eons before a updated signature could be introduced.

9. Firefighter

And now even one more av capable to detect this. But AntiVir seemed to change the name of this nasty.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Attached Files:

10. Firefighter

I'll hope this helps a bit. After 13 days I've submitted this sample to certain av-vendor, it was capable to detect this on 17:th November 2005. Unfortunately I've got any feedback of that infection yet from that av-vendor.

PS. I didn't submit this sample to McAfee, but it was able to detect this one day later than the one av mentioned above.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.