Nod32 or Dr Web

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Barney, Nov 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barney

Barney Registered Member

I really havn't been keeping up with all the new features and upgrades made to NOD32 over the past few years. I personally use Dr Web and find it to be an excellent antivirus. I have a simple question. I have looked at various antivirus comparison test sites and see that Dr Web doesn't appear to have the same degree of detection it used to have. It has always outperformed Nod32 in the past, but I see according to some tests, this is changing. Is this the case?..... Is Dr WEb losing its edge. I sure hope not. Anybody out there have an opinion on this matter?

Barney

2. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

Barney,

Imo, nod32 is very, very hard to beat.It's light, its detection rate is soo good that, if I remember right, even microsoft uses this av.Dr Web having an edge ? not that I know of and most likely not on this planet.my 0.2 :)

3. marcromero

marcromero Guest

Microsoft uses eTrust for their desktop solutions, not Nod32.

4. Banshee

I think MS used nod32 in 2005.Did they really switch av ?

5. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Dr.Web is a very good AV, every light, excellent detection, set it and forget it.Soon they will be releasing version 5 which will be even better.
    Badcompany.

6. KikiBibi

KikiBibi Registered Member

What if you switched to NOD32 and the next day, DrWeb outperforms NOD32. It's better to wait for their new versions and compare.

7. marcromero

marcromero Guest

I just recently migrated from Nod32 to Dr.Web antivirus. Nod32 may have all the accolades and top honors, but it was a finicky and quirky software for me, it has the poorest update utility I have ever experienced in an antivirus program. It required constant tinkering to make sure everything was working right and that it was updating properly. For me, Nod32 was annoying and frustrating, to say the least. After trying several different av's, I settled on Dr.Web, they scored standard at av-comparatives and are improving steadily on their test score and standing. This av does everything I need an antivirus to do and it does it very well. Dr.Web may be a small company, but they're a behemoth when it comes to an antivirus solution. In my opinion, Dr.Web's performance and protection, are second to none.

8. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

I agree with Marcromero. Dr. Web does a great job. It's lean and mean. It updates regularly and without any problems. It doesn't need constant hand holding.

9. marcromero

marcromero Guest

Have no idea, it has been a while since I read that Microsoft white paper and I cannot remember the date.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2006
  10. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

I tried Nod32, and I felt very safe with it, but I will also agree it takes too much for an average person to make nod32 "user friendly." Well, I also tried Dr web and liked it alot, so I got my active Mcafee subscription (which I am not using or satisfied with) and migrated to Dr web. So, I will be getting further instructions in my email soon, and hopefully get my 2 year key soon!

11. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I disagree, i have used nod32 straight out of the box for a long time with no issues. For the average user it is more than sufficient in its default settings.

12. divedog

divedog Registered Member

My vote goes to NOD, I didn't find it hard to set up, simply follow Blackspears setup, I have never had to tweak with it once it was set up, going on year 3 now. I have never had it conflict with other software. Why not trial each of them and see what you think?

13. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Pound for pound, NOD32. It's simply a superior piece of security software. BTW Barney, do us a favor and shrink that font! :eek:

14. Banshee

>I tried Nod32, and I felt very safe with it, but I will also agree it takes too >much for an average person to make nod32 "user friendly."

I don't think I follow you here.Nod32 is easy to setup.It actually is just fine out of the box.All you need is install and reboot.Is that so difficult ?

If you want to follow blackspear's advice it will just take you 10-15mins max to "tweak" it.

15. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Your choice.

Marcromero says :
    'This av does everything I need an antivirus to do and it does it very well.'

...and as long as (for any av) this holds true with you, you should be happy:)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2006
  16. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Microsoft use NOD32 in their release labs.

17. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

If you like it, then why change? Have you been infected with DrWeb installled the past since you're considering this.

DrWeb has the same kind of detection it has always had in the AV-comparatives so this should not be the deciding factor if has served you good until now.

18. Minimax2000

Minimax2000 Registered Member

I have switched from KAV 6.0 to Dr.Web because it has low footprint, good usability and causes no conflicts with my other security applications. Effortless signature updating is included.

Frank

19. marcromero

marcromero Guest

Barney, I'll reiterate, Dr.Web is a solid product, if your having no problems with this software and it has kept you well protected, I'd stay put, it is only getting better, as an example, Nod, even with the addition of 7 more servers, faster backbone and the new version 2.7 release canadiate, some people still seem to be having update issues over in the Nod forum. Nod may have a higher detection rate than most other av's, but that doesn't make it a better performing software. Dr.Web updates flawlessly and almost hourly. Like you said, Dr.Web is an excellent antivirus and I agree.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2006
  20. Littlemutt

Littlemutt Guest

In my experience which lasted about 7 hrs, DrWeb was s-l-o-w in doing a scan of the system. 6hrs 30 mins, of the 7 hrs was trying to scan my system under zero load, and only 60% complete -

Stopped the scan and removed...

NOD32 and KAV both scanned a lot faster...

WinXP SP2, 512Meg Ran/ Athlon 650Mhz CPU, (yeah I know its old)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2006
  21. marcromero

marcromero Guest

Sorry to hear that, I've never had any kind of scanner issues, regardless of the av's I have tried. Were there any leftover registry remnants from the previous av you had installed ? Were you running any other security softwares in the background while scanning ? There could be several reasons for your experience with Dr.Web, it's always scanned pretty quick for me and no problems. Nod always scanned fast for me also, but Kav was a different story.

22. Littlemutt

Littlemutt Guest

No, nothing was running at all... I was just letting it do its initial scan of the system. No browsers open, just running the AV in scan.

I have been trialling several AV's, and also do a total remove, and registry clean before installing something else... so I'm pretty sure nothing was left over to interfere.

I am not a music downloader, so there were none of those to scan.. just your pretty vanilla PC... its too old, and slow for any modern games, so there are none of those on the system.

Not knowing anything about the program, I just installed it, and when prompted to run a scan I let it have a go.... 6 hrs 30mins and like the engergizer bunny... still going and going and going.... :(

23. marcromero

marcromero Guest

Interesting to say the least, although, I never did the scan on install option. I installed and re-booted first, that's just me.

24. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Littlemutt :
    :)
    nearly 7hrs:ouch: dont blame you for stopping the scan and removing - longest DrWeb scan+fix I've had was nearly and hour, but that was a test machine (also Athlon...850Mhz) with 100+ viruses, trojan, dialers, anyway sorry to hear that, I like DrWeb.

25. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

It is a rather slow scan I must agree but it is very thorough. The new version 5 due out next year is supposed to be just as effective and much faster...:rolleyes: :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.