nod32 or avira?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by EQ2, Feb 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

The first time I saw the LukeFilewalker thing, I gave a little laugh. I thought how refreshing for an AV company to do something like that. I'm not a Star Wars fan, but there's nothing wrong with having a little fun in an AV as long as it's doing its job. As far as the umbrella goes, I think I'd rather have that as an icon rather than that silly stethoscope use by another AV. I also like the fact that it alerts you when the guard is disabled by having the umbrella closed.

I didn't know about ESET offering discounts to active military personnel until JerryM brought it up. Very good ESET. Two thumbs up for that. :thumb: :thumb:

2. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Got it. Thanks Jerry.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

You are very welcome.
    Best,
    Jerry

4. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Talking about the icons war, IMO the clear winner is Sophos with its blue shield, this gives me a very 'strong' sensation of security.
    But its detection rate, man, that's another story :ouch:

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

nod32 offers piece of mind whereas avira (to me) does not.

IMO in the icon-war, i still think AVG has the best, sooo distinctive, so bold and bright, very good quality and is wildly recognised.

6. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Wow! I've never heard a icon described that way. :D

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Ooops, my bad?

i use to work for a graphics firm in the past and its first nature of "describing them" in a 'presentation-style'. :rolleyes:

lol, still.... i think im right. :D

Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  8. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Thanks C.S.J. I needed a good laugh.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the big red K is the best icon for an anti virus it really shows that your safe.
    the big K kicks malware ass!
    lodore

10. bugsy_pal

bugsy_pal Registered Member

After using PC-Cillin for a few years, and trialling Bitdefender, KAV/KIS and F-Secure Client Security, I am now down to choosing between NOD and Avira. Have yet to try NOD, but installed the Avira Suite and checked it out. I have now gone to Avira Premium (in demo mode) with Comodo firewall, as I felt that the Avira firewall was uninformative.

I like the Avira interface - clean and simple. Avira Premium demo won't update though, and I get the demo popup messages. It's a bummer not being able to check out how the updates run. Can I get a proper test license so that I can run some updates?

In the meantime, I might give NOD a run...

11. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

More proof. here

13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

doesnt look authentic that test trjam,

and dr.web aint even on it.

maybe it is, but i really do think they are getting percentages from (files scanned - infected objects) which just wont add up,(which is probably why nod32 has just 49%) they need to test a set of files, however many and get the percentage from that on the remaining files.

14. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

What the hell o_O
    AOL Active Virus Shield (Free): 89.02%
    Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0: 84.77%

... something looks a little wrong o_O
    AOL AVS and KIS have the same scanning engine :D

Also says in the report: Due to update schedule of virus signature is different, so the admissible error is
    between -4.3% and +4.3%... that means all the AVs have a 8.6% accuracy eg, Kaspersky Internet Security's detection is between 80.47 and 89.07... doesn't look accurate enough for me to take into too much consideration, sorry!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Hey Chris, I meant to say, "100 proof." As in Jack Daniels whiskey, because this guy must be drinking it when he tests.:eek:

16. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

As I have mentioned before, I would be happy to switch over to Avira because of its great interface and tremendous detection rate along with pretty good support. However, I still find the same things bothering me now that did several months ago. Not bashing Avira but just obstacles that stop me from fully committing to this geat product at this time.

1. Pricing too high for suite. Their price is a little high IMO. Three year license equal to Kaspersky pricing but the suite lacking in features for now.

2. Features lacking such as antispam and rootkit. Know they are coming soon but still probably should have been added before release of suite.

3. Concerned about firewall performance as compared to other firewalls. Not a technical user but Avira firewall has not gotten very good reviews from what I have read.

4. Still strange nagging behavior on my laptop such as security center popups occurring at startup and updates. Also the uninstall is not the cleanest I have seen.

Again, not bashing Avira beause the favorable detection and interface and support still tempt me to consider it and hope that these other areas might be improved over time.

Gary

17. bugsy_pal

I have been trialling a number of the top AV's and suites. The latest is Avira Premium. It runs pretty light and seems to work well on my PC. I got my 30-day demo license yesterday so that I can downlodd updates - and to my dismay, the updates failed. Avira could download update files, but fell over at the last minute on one or two files that it could not get.

Searching their forums, it seems that this has been a significant issue for folks since back in October, with some people upgrading to Premuim (after getting updates fine with Classic) and then having updates fail.

It seems that the problem may be related to proxy issues with the users' ISP. Avira support suggested trying to run HTTP Tunnel, a shareware tool, which acts as an encrypted proxy. I tried this and was able to downlaod and install the full update - but it was painful as the download was crippled to a 1Kb/sec speed. There is no way that I will have HTTP tunnel operating evry time I want to update Avira. Their other suggestion was to perfrom manual updates - download the zipped update files and load manually.

This seems an unacceptable situation for a commercial product. They acknowledge a poblem but have no effective solution after 4 months or more. I can't get around the proxy issue because my ISP doesn't use one (or if they do, it is transparent).

Thus, I am left in a similar situation as with my KAV/KIS trial. I thought KIS was great, but am still concerned at the CHKSDK issue. F-Secure was fine for a while, until it started thrashing my hard disk and eating up CPU.

I will now trial NOD. By all reports, it could be the answer. I just hope that updates run smoothly.

Sorry for the long post, but I felt it important to share this.

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Avira has potential, but it
    is about a good version behind Eset. And no one knows this better then me. Go with Eset, their future looks alot more positive.;)

19. bugsy_pal

trjam, I gather from other posts that you favour NOD these days, after being quite keen on Avira. There is no doubt that Avira has great virus detection, and a nice interface. Is there anything in particular about your experience with Avira that led you towards trying other products?

I must say that I really like the look and feel of Avira, and the fact that it seems to work without much fuss or slowdown of my machine. However, the following things I believe are not up to scratch:
    - Getting a demo license - their web site is quite unhelpful about how to obtain a fully functioning demo. I only got one because I PM'd one of the Avira staff based on a tip on this forum.
    - Updates - if you can't update your signatures in a reliable and timely manner, the value of the products falls off rapidly. It seems that tere are issues with Avira updates that need to be resolved. I am surprised at the rather casual attitude towards fixing this. It may well be to do with problems downloading certain update files over a connection that uses proxies - but if other AV companies can deliver updates without hitting this snag, why can't Avira?

I don't mean to bash Avira, as they have a top product, and I would purchase a license in a flash if the updates were working reliably.

20. FRug

FRug Registered Member

bugsy_pal: You do know that the paid avira products run on different servers? There have never been update problems on those.

21. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

trjam

What do mean by saying (Avira has potential, but it is about a good version behind Eset) ?

Maybe you havn't seen the latest and previous AV tests on Antivir http://www.av-comparatives.org/

@ bugsy_pal

Using the Premium version here with no problems whatsoever, either in running/updates/detection etc etc. When i had Classic before, sometimes the updates were a bit slow, but mainly perfectly fine. And all versions have the exact same definitions, apart from spyware, and excellent heuristics. I think some people expect too much for nothing !

StevieO

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

ok, I will agree with you.:rolleyes:

23. Monkey_Feces

Monkey_Feces Registered Member

What's the difference between Avira free and premium. If a free AV can keep up with nod 32, then Avira really has an advantage.

24. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Premium version includes spyware detection.

tD

25. FRug

FRug Registered Member

+ spyware/adware detection
    + email guard
    + different update servers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.