nod32 or avira?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by EQ2, Feb 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Trjam,

Thanks for the reply. I think you are right.

However, as I have looked at the Avira forums, it appears that the issues are still there for some. Although they did try to help, I do not have the patience or ability to troubleshoot the applications.
    That is the reason I am not using KAV6. I have a 2 year license for KAV, but am going to wait until I think the troubles are solved before I reinstall it. I am not good enough to do much sending in dmp files. I will have to leave that to others.

I considered the problems I had with Avira relatively minor, but did not want to bother with them. I may very well trial Avira again. I wanted it to do well.

Right now I have a 3 year OEM license for FS IS suite that I am using on the laptop, and a 2 year license for KAV. Hopefull FS will continue to run well, and KAV will get fixed. I am trialling NOD 32 now, and it is running perfectly.

Best,
    Jerry

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

since the last network driver update yesterday i havent had any problem with kaspersky crashing.
    i will keep you updated Jerry
    lodore

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

If you have licenses like that you should just keep using them. Kaspersky would be my second choice now anyway. As far as problems, you will see the same ones over and over here for Nod, the same ones at the Kas forums, like the checkdisk crap. It is par for the course for all vendors to try and create a product on all our computers with all the other crap we have on them. I really feel for the AV vendors. I really think in the end a lower rating for Eset will be good for them in the long haul. I have no fear that alot of things will improve with their suite. And I know, Marcos will not take this lightly so improvement will be a strong focus for them. And, as others have said, 3 months from now, Avira may be trying to catch up. The key is, all are good, the important thing now is creating a product that works in all areas. Yeah, I am happy for Avira, but critical to that it is taking this long to add features which are standard modules for other vendors, and they know I am. It doesnt matter who you go with, what matters is that we as consumers, keep demanding the never ending goal of perfection, even if it cant be attained with one product. And thank goodness for forums like Wilders, that lets us do this, face to face, with the vendors. It really is a win-win situation for all.

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hey, that is good news, and thank you. I will appreciate the update. I am going to complete the 30 day trial of NOD, and then take a look to see how KAV is doing. I would really like to reinstall it, and have it run as well as it did before MP2 came out.

Best,
    Jerry

5. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Hi Jerry,

Yeah, I was having problems with Avira's MailGuard in the beginning. It got very frustrating. I finally uninstalled it. I was told by the experts at the Avira forum, that it was a known problem, and that it would be taken care of. After about a month, I reinstalled it and have had no problems with MailGuard again. I guess those guys know what they were talking about. I know from checking out the Avira forum that there are still some who do have problems with it. But I guess there will always be something that doesn't work quite right with most AVs on any given PC. I hope you'll give Avira another try one of these days. I think you'll be surprised.

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I suspect I will give Avira another try. I may try it after the NOD trial expires. I like NOD, and if KAV doesn't get corrected I will probably use NOD for awhile.

Thanks for the reply,
    Jerry

7. DankH

DankH Registered Member

in my opion i think Antivir is better than NOD32,I am a Chinese user,in china NOD32 is worth than Antivir in Anti-Trojan.And I like Antivir best!!

8. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Hi Jerry, may I ask what problem you have with KAV? In my experience, only the old version 5 gave me headaches with its update module and startup scans. From version 6 on, everything is ok.

9. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I would also recommend NOD32 over Antivir (Avira). NOD32 has a better track record and is a proven winner whereas Avira is a new comer that has only had recent success. Also, I would rather have the NOD32 logo in my taskbar rather that stupid umbrella. NOD32 has rootkit detection right now. Antivir does not. There have also been reports that Antivir has issues with cleaning what infections it finds. Also, WTF is up with "luke filewalker?" It's understandable for Antivir classic but now it's time to grow up. NOD32 hands down...look out for version 3.

10. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I prefer Avira.
    But,there's no wrong choice between the two.
    Both are good.It's a matter of personal preference.

11. btman

btman Registered Member

*Cough* Kaspersky *Cough*

I mean...

Between these two I would say... Avira. Though I agree that things like Luke Filewalker... Should disappear.. As well as the umbrella...

12. n8chavez

Kaspersky is a great product. I just think it tries to do too much. I'd rather have a dedicated HIPS (SSM). As a scanner, I'd have to give the nod to NOD. BTW, I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that "luke filwalker" and the stupid red umbrella are detriments to Avira.

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

call it what you want, as long as it works and the bottom line is, it works better then Nod. Though some just cant admit it.:cool:

14. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Avira has scored Advanced in the on-demand test over at av-comparatives since August, 2005 and the new version 7 has scored Advanced or Advanced + in all tests over at this site since that date. I would rather use an AV with a good track record over the last 12-18 months than some others who are relying on past glories and going backwards ( no names mentioned but I am not including NOD in this description). Overall Avira 7 is a considerable improvement on past versions and this is what you are seeing of late in detection tests.
    What version have you used? In previous versions, LukeFilewalker was prominent in the main scan Window but in the new one it is quite discrete and hardly noticeable to my eyes. The animated umbrella icon I find useful, particularly if I have disabled the Guard and forgotten to turn it back on again.

I would hope that potential users of AntiVir/Avira would look beyond a Star Wars character and a tray icon in thinking about using this AV.

Attached Files:

15. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Aw...party poopers ...you guys that don't like the avira umbrella. That is extremely NEAT! I love it! Avira better not get rid of it. Plus, how great to have the umbrella white on a red background. Red is my favorite color and I get so tired of all the ugly, sleep inducing blue all over the internet...I want energy and aliveness and the red and white convey just that. I also really like "Luke Filewalker". Avira is a refreshing breeze from all the other staid, stodgy AVs. Avira has flare and creativity as well as the best GUI I have seen and I have tried almost all AVs...and Avira is number one in detection. Can't beat the package. I'd like Avira a lot less without the creativity. Then it would be like all the rest...dull, boring, hard to use GUI, humorless folks in charge, .....nah...I'll take Avira with its grace and humor and liveliness any day. I also rely a great deal on the position of the umbrella as I close Avira and it lacks a neat thing KAV has ...that you can close KAV for a certain number of minutes or until your next reboot, etc. Avira lacks that so I rely on the position of the umbrella.

16. Blackcat

Mele likes Avira :D :thumb:

17. jaydub

jaydub Registered Member

I don't have any issues with the umbrella. It does it's job and very clearly shows whether the guard is functioning or not.

I've always found the LukeFilewalker naming of the scan window a bit naff. Vaguely amusing for the first few seconds and annoying thereafter.

I have to say that the first time I loaded the free version I uninstalled it almost straight away, because the LukeFilewalker association made me think it was a bit of 'toy' software.

I think that Avira would do well to rename the scan screen, but I agree with Blackcat that this shouldn't be seen as a reason to not use Avira.

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

its still kinda worrying when the guard turns off during updates for a few seconds.
    i know its only the gui and not the engine but still.
    i still love the antivir GUI.
    they make it so simple to understand.
    i mean, guard,mail guard,scanner cant get much easier than that.
    lodore

19. n8chavez

I know that cost should not enter the equation whenever x +/- y is being discussed, but realistically it has to sense most of us have to worry about money. There is no other AV, with the recent exception of f-secure, that is as cheap as NOD32. I can get a two year student-discounted license for $29.75. Avira cannot touch that. Nor even Dr Web, with it's migration discount, is that cheap. When price matters NOD32 is clearly the winner over Dr Web, Kaspersky, and yes, Avira.

20. Blackcat

Yes, Eset have a very good discount for both students and Teachers/Lecturers. But if you are not in Education then there are much cheaper options than Nod ;)

21. Blackcat

n8chavez,

Have you looked into whether your College/University offers students a free AV. Certainly in the UK most Universities offer AV protection and at mine for example, students can choose between McAfee Enterprise, Symantec or Sophos; not bad choices for 3 years of free protection.

22. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I sent you a PM as I did not want to get off topic.
    Best,
    Jerry

23. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Doesn't ESET also have a military discount? I suspect it is only for active duty personnel if so.
    Jerry

24. ASpace

ASpace Guest

The answer can be found here:
    http://www.nod32usa.com/catalog/nod....html?osCsid=dda6cf2e1bbfb8a6dd9007caec5513ac

25. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, HTB. That is very good.
    Best,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.