NOD32 not scanning inside TrueImage files?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Passing Through, Nov 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've double posted, not sure the best place for this thread.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=54278

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Could use some help from you guys that know this package.
    Just installed trial last night and did some disk scans.

As best as I can tell the scans of my USB drive and respective partitions have come back with recognition of the TrueImage backup files I have out there but did nothing to "get inside" and look at the content.

I read some things here and there about NOD32s ability to scan compressed, zipped, etc backups & archives.... there's some recent improvements that allow some of this.... but I'm a little unclear if in fact it is the case that I'm out luck in getting NOD32 to look under the hood of my TrueImage Backup files out on that USB drive.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi

I know nothing about NOD32 but be aware that True Image doesn't carry out "file" based imaging, it does "sector copy" based imaging. Could that be the reason?

Regards

3. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Passing Through

I agree part with what Menorcaman says, but as with any scanner it must know how something is packed and have the unpacker to "look" inside the file [Image], plus if a scanner did have a unpacker for Ti's Images and you had password protected it it still would not be unable to unpack it because of the password protection.

One of the good thing with Ti/s Images is security against attack, ie privacy, and safety from all sorts of malware.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

4. Yeah, I'm sure you guys are getting at the root of this....and as I use TI and NOD32 it should really be ok that the TI files don't get scanned.

When any of those files/directories are restored they'll get jumped on by NOD32 the minute they're being copied in....so that should be protection enough.

This is an old Win98 backup that I'm going back to to retrieve files since I did a clean install of WinXP. All done before I had NOD32....and should be ok assuming Norton AV did it's job.

Thanks for the input.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.