NOD32 not playing nice with Outlook?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by LawrenceG, Feb 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LawrenceG

LawrenceG Guest

I'm a novice computer user, and I'm currently running a trial of NOD32. I was impressed by all of the comments I read in bulletin boards about how lean and efficient the NOD32 code is. My computer already has too much bloatware; I like the idea of using something that uses few resources. At the same time, I'm getting frustrated with NOD32.

Since installing NOD32, when I open Outlook, I frequently get the message:

The data file "Personal Folders" was not closed properly...

as Outlook checks my PST file for errors. So far I haven't been told of any errors, but consistently seeing this error gives me serious concerns about what NOD32 is doing. Frankly, the integrity of my Outlook data file is more important to me than my choice of which (good) antivirus program to use.

Also, NOD seems to prevent my Outlook backup add-in from automatically backing up my PST file. I can execute the backup command manually, but that defeats the point of using the add-in and raises the possibility that I'll forget. Again, something I'm not willing to sacrifice just to use NOD32

Does anyone know whether these issues can be resolved, or should I just try another antivirus program?

2. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

Which version of Outlook are you using?
    I'm using Outlook 2003 SP3 with NOD32 without problems.
    I know there're some problems with EMON and Outlook 2006, but Outlook 2006 isn't a released version yet.
    Anyway you can try to disable EMON from NOD32 CC and look if the problem dissapear.
    Again this situation isn't normal.

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi there,

I've been running NOD32 and Outlook 2002 SP3 without any issues.

If I were you, I would start playing with the 'Detection' window that you can open within 'EMON' :You'll find two sections, 'ThreatSense Scanning Engine Options and Targets. Try to un-tick 'Potentially Dangerous Applications' .

You could also try reinstalling Nod. Hope this helps.

4. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

Re: his changing some EMON settings: Does the use of EMON still presume/require use of MAPI interface, which I understand isn't involved for stand-alone POP3 ISP Email setups feeding Outlook. If this is so, he hasn't said if MAPI is involved, and maybe for him EMON shouldn't be in use at all. Is this logic still correct in 2.5?

5. alglove

alglove Registered Member

EMON uses the MAPI interface to scan and manipulate the messages in the Outlook folders. However, IMON will scan POP3 data at the network level before it ever reaches Outlook. If all you use is POP3, then you can try disabling EMON and at least know that incoming e-mail is still getting scanned.

6. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Just to check the PST...run the "scanpst" repair tool included in Office.

I can attest NOD32 works fine with Outlook...I have hundreds of them running across various clients, all versions of Outlook from 97 to 2K3 latest updates. Exchange and POP3.

I'd also make sure your Office is patched to the last version, visit office.microsoft.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.