NOD32 Load on Startup

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by rnfolsom, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rnfolsom

rnfolsom Registered Member

Perhaps due to a conflict between Adobe's Download Manager and Install software (I was going for Reader version :cool:, and Webroot Spysweeper's passion for guarding me from unwanted startup settings, NOD32 no longer loads when I first start up the computer (or switch from one account to another).

I am running Windows 2000 Sp4. And some other startup settings also were missing also. But the only one I can't fix is NOD32.

I am fairly sure that NOD32 has a setting, somewhere, to load at startup, but I can't find it.

I did search the help, under "load" and "startup" and several other things that I now don't remember, but I could not find that setting.

I am running NOD32 2.5. But from messages here I see that version 2.7 is now out long enough to have already had the inevitable bug fix updates. So I will upgrade.

But since 2.7 apparently installs "over" version 2.5 --- Hurrah and Hurray for Eset's people --- I'd like to have 2.5 starting up properly before I do the upgrade.

Thanks for any help in telling me where NOD32's "load at startup" setting is. I hope there is one, because I sure don't want to uninstall version 2.5 in order for version 2.7 to install with a "load at startup" setting, because I sure don't want to go through redoing all of the other NOD32 settings from scratch.

Roger Folsom

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I'd say its probably best to uninstall 2.5 and do a clean install of 2.7, this should hopefully fix your problem of nod32 not loading.

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

This is from when you install NOD32 and the question is raised in concern to AMON loading/running at start up.

Cheers :D

4. rnfolsom

Blackspear:

I think, but am not sure, that you mean that the setting I am looking for is not available in the installed NOD32, but is available only when installing NOD32.

At your convenience, please confirm or deny. <grin>

But that's for possible future use.

For now, the issue is now moot for me because, since I didn't know what damage the argument between Webroot and Adobe might have done, I restored a backup image of my "System and Applications" partition C. After the restoration, NOD32 started on logons as it should, so I no longer have to start NOD32 manually.

Thanks.

Roger Folsom

P.S.: After restoring the backup image of C:, I installed version 2.7 "over" version 2.5, as Aryeh Goretsky's "2.7 is available" announcement suggested. On my Win2k Sp4 computer, the installation went perfectly --- and the opening screen after reboot, which asked if I wanted to continue with my existing settings (followed by a subsequent screen about the new ability to block "unwanted" software installations), confirmed Mr. Goretsky's suggestion.

5. rnfolsom

FarmerLee:

Thanks for your advice, with which I usually would agree. What I ended up doing (details in my preceding message to Blackspear) was restoring a backup image of partition C:, which restored NOD32's starting on logons, which allowed me to install NOD32 version 2.7, which went perfectly without even a hiccup.

Ordinarily I prefer clean installs for almost any software, but NOD32's interface requires setting many of the same preferences separately for each module, which is a huge time sink. The first time I installed NOD32 it took me most of a full day, but admittedly it might go faster now because I'm more familiar with the program. I say "might" because I don't know how much my memory would remember of a settings binge that's more than a year and a half old.

I do know (from a sticky message at the top of this forum) that Blackspear's settings are now automated, but my own preferences are somewhat different (although now I don't remember how they are different :( ).

6. Blackspear

No, it's available afterwards as well, it was just the wording that you remembered; it comes from when you are installing NOD32. You can disable startup of AMON through the Control Centre> AMON> Setup> Security> Enable automatic startup of AMON.

7. rnfolsom

Blackspear:

Probably like most people, I want all NOD32 modules to start running (particularly IMON) when I log on. And my original problem (before restoring the backup image) was that (to the best of my knowledge) logon did not start any NOD32 module running, based on the absence of NOD32 in the system tray, and on the absence of a NOD32 registry entry in HKLM...Run (I checked that via Mike Lin's Startup Control).

So I was looking for a setting in NOD32 that at logon would start "everything" (less AMON if it had been disabled as per your message). And that's what I couldn't find in NOD32 installed, and maybe it's not even an option when installing NOD32 (in any case, running everything at logon surely is the default).

I hope this message makes more sense than my previous ones on this issue!

Roger Folsom

8. Blackspear

Hi Roger, so when you clicked on Start> All Programs> Eset> NOD32 Control Centre did it start up?

9. rnfolsom

Yes. No problem there (except that my start menu shortcut spells "Center" properly :) ).

My problem was that NOD32 wasn't starting automatically at logon. Admittedly, having to start it manually wouldn't be a major crisis (unless something somehow slipped in while I was starting the AV manually, but that strikes me as unlikely, since I'm behind a Net Address Translation firewall). But I've been running some sort of AV program --- all of which started automatically at startup --- since the mid 1980s, so I'm not in the habit of remembering to start an AV automatically.

Consequently, especially since my Win2k task bar (and system tray) are set to hide, I found myself forgetting to start NOD32...

Which made restoring the backup image of C: worth doing (especially since I feared other problems resulting from the Adobe-Webroot fight that hadn't yet shown up).

Roger Folsom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.