NOD32 Kernel Service not working

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by PolarBear, Dec 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PolarBear

PolarBear Registered Member

My NOD32 AMON Service is not working, but this is to do with the NOD32 Kernel Service.

At the start of a PC scan it says...

And in the Event Logging Console in MMC when I try starting the service manually

http://server4.uploadit.org/files/051203-error.PNG

Someone help me please.. I have a virus...

~PB

2. sig

sig Registered Member

Hmn....this sounds out of my league since I haven't experienced this, but I want you to know you're not ignored. It's just perhaps that no one is around at this time who can definitively help.

Do you know for a fact you have a virus or are you thinking you do because of this problem? Can you tell that there is there something else going on with your pc now that might be or is an infection or if something noticeable happened before the service went down?

Ordinarily, my inclination on my machine would be to reboot and see if it goes back to normal, but I'm hesitant to suggest that to you since I have no idea what's going on. Have you tried scanning with NOD's on demand scanner to see what happens? Since it appears Amon is down, what happens if you try to run the on demand scanner?

Anyway, sorry if I'm not of much assistance but at least wanted to post to show that you're not being ignored. Meanwhile any info you could post as to what happened that you came to notice that Amon wasn't working could be helpful. Also if you try to run the on demand scanner and see what happens.

3. PolarBear

The service stopped for the last time believed at a power plug pullout, so count as a power failure, it was running then. Next time I started were the problems..

Right now I have a webdialer and Backdoor.Beast.202 on my computer. These infections are the cause on no AV scanner, I got them after I had NOD32 2.

When I run nod On-Demand, it scans, but at first gives this warning.

Thanks a tonne

~PB

4. Storm

Storm Registered Member

Hi Polarbear!

You could grab a trial-copy of TDS-3 and the most recent database and then send this beast to digital hell :D

Look here:
    http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=download

As for the webdialer...
    Grab a copy of Spybot Search&Destroy... it is able to remove many dialers... (don't forget to update definitions first!)

Look here:
    http://security.kolla.de/news.php?lang=en

NOD32 is a great AntiVirus, but it is not so great against trojans...
    I'd suggest buying a good AntiTrojan as supplement (TDS-3 or Trojan Hunter for example)

Good luck!

Greetz
    Storm

5. PolarBear

Yeah thanx for those links, but I need to fix NOD32 (Read my previous posts)

~PB

6. sig

sig Registered Member

Unless you've already cleaned out the malware (and it doesn't sound that you have since you use present tense when you refer to them) Storm's suggestions are sound: the priority is to take care of the most important thing first which is cleaning the malware from your computer. TDS is excellent and the free trial is available, simply update from the vendor's website after the trial version is installed and run a scan.

You can follow that with an updated Spybot as suggested.

Once the malware is gone (and you don't mention your OS so if you have system restore you'll have to disable it before disinfecting your system so that the malware also won't be restored), uninstall NOD, reboot then reinstall NOD and see if it still gives you any trouble.

7. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

Hi,
    Do you have NOD32 AV installed in the default folder?. Many times, NOD32 can't start if you install into another folder.

8. PolarBear

No, not default folder. I'll try it.

~PB

9. Guy

Guy Guest

Sir_Carew, you're a genius.

~PB

10. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

I like help the people in the PC security matter.
    Best Regards.

11. Ton

Ton Guest

Well, I have the same problem. I had NOD32 installed in the default folder it proposes since I thought "well, let's give this thing a try".

I am very confident my computer (XP PRO SP1) is free of any malware. I uninstalled Norton AV2004 first, installed NOD32, reboot, I get the splash screen, it stays for about 1 or 2 minutes, and then I get the message about not being able to communicate to the service. I uninstalled it, rebooted: XP PRO refuses to continu starting after the logon (as administrator). In the event log I saw that at the sime time ZoneAlarm (Pro, 4.5) had corrupted databases which it had to restore, my recovery console was suddenly messed up (hal.dll could not be found), so, after all: great software, this NOD32. The supportsite at NOD32 doesn't offer any support at all, the FAQ does not contain errormessages; I'm not quite so impressed. So, thanks to this great software, I'm going to have to restore an image, will have to update my system afterwards to get it to the most current level of fixes etc; will cost me another 2-4 hrs. Great work, NOD32. For the time being I'll stick to Norton; it slows down my system, but at least I can work and am not wasting my time on non-value adding activities like trying to get a virusscanner to work.

12. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Ton,

Nothing in your description solely points to NOD32. There could be numerous reasons as of why this has happened - not cleaning up the registry after uninstalling NAV to name just one.

Anyway, all the best in using NAV.

regards,

paul

13. NewNOD

NewNOD Guest

sir_carew wrote
    Guy wrote:
    I have no doubt that sir_carew is a genius. :)

But, let me offer the suggestion that reinstalling the software was what caused the glitch to be repaired, irrespective of the folder to which it was installed.

I have NOD32 (and all security software) installed in a non-default folder, and all is fine (at least in terms of your problem :)). The philosophy behind installing security software in different folders is to prevent malware that rely on known paths from directing an attack on the contents of the path. More sophisticated attacks would not rely on a hard-coded path, so this might just make me feel warm and fuzzy. But nevertheless, my NOD installation does not present the problems you describe and it's not in the default folder.

Thanks.

14. iNsuRRecTioN

iNsuRRecTioN Registered Member

It would be risible furthermore, when the NOD32 Kernel cannot start from an non default installation folder..! ;)

greetz

iNsuRRecTiON

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.