NOD32 interferes with Skype update

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by xerces8, Mar 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xerces8

xerces8 Registered Member

I have NOD32 Antivirus 4 on WinXP and noticed that since a while the update in Skype does not work, unless I temporarily turn off protection in NOD32.

I have version 4.0.417.0

What happens is that I run Skype and select its menu Help / Check for Updates.
    It reports that a new version is available and offers to download it. After I click to dowload, it downloads the update , then there is large CPU activity for a few seconds, then Skype reports that the upgrade failed. It offers a manual download or a retry. Clicking retry just repeats the same scenario. But if I disable protection in NOD32, then click Retry, the update proceeds successfully.

I noticed this for a while now, each time I tried to update Skype, last time just a few minutes ago when I tried to update Skype 5.8.0.156 to 5.8.0.158.

Regards,
    David

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

That's probably because of a long scan of the 23-MB installer when Skype does not wait long enough and times out. We'll exclude the installer from scanning. In the mean time, you can add *.skype.com* to the list of addresses excluded from content filtering.
    I'd also recommend upgrading to the latest version 4.2.71 or 5.0.95 (Home Edition).

3. siljaline

siljaline Former Poster

It may be the • EasyBitsMedia • bundleware that is causing the issues.

Look for this in subdirectories of the installation folder. It would also depend on where you obtained the software. Some sites are paid per-installation to allow the third party gaming software.

This is not a new tactic for third party sites in making extra revenue. However undesirable this may be.

Skype may have a current uninstaller for this third-party software available to you. There may be an opt-out tool within Skype.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.