nod32 for Exchange - opinions?

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by hutchingsp, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hutchingsp

hutchingsp Registered Member

We're currently using Trend Scanmail 8.

Today I've had a bunch of "UPS Invoice" attachments delivered to users, and not be detected/recognized using Trend with the latest definition files.

An online scan of the file(s) at jotti (I think?) clearly shows they are a virus/trojan/malware.

Also a sweep with Spysweeper on a couple of PCs where people did run the executable has detected various spyware which Trend seems to have simply ignored.

If I do move from Trend I would prefer to keep our exchange and desktop/server A/V with one vendor because there are usually significant financial benefits in doing so.

NOD32 always pops up and I always found reasons not to look too closely or take the plunge. The last time was around 9 months back.

What's the Exchange product currently like in terms of effectiveness, and above all stability i.e. I think there used to be a few horror stories about resource usage/bad updates/crashing the store etc.

Appreciate any feedback, as we have a front end Exchange server with no mailboxes on it I may install the NOD32 trial on it.

2. SoCal_Sparrow

SoCal_Sparrow Registered Member

NOD32 for Exchange (AKA: XMON) is great. I've used it reliably for close to 3 years now with Exchange 2003; never had it crash or cause any problems. This module is currently only available in the NOD32 version 2.7 release, but Eset should be upgrading it to 3.0 (soon?). Not a huge deal, but the fewer software versions I have to handle the better IMHO. The desktop version is at 3.0, which seems to require a bit more tuning than the 2.7 version did. I see this as good thing, I like fine-grain control, but it does appear that the default settings tend to be conservatively high (again, not a bad thing) which utilize a lot of processor time. There have been a few steps adapting to the new 3.0, after being used to 2.7, but it WAS a major revision and was something I expected. The newest version of the Remote Administrator (Management Console) is able to handle/update both versions reliably too.

NOD32 is my A/V of choice, I've used it since the 2.5 days and don't plan to change. Expect a bit of a learning curve, I came from Symantec and NOD32 seemed very different at first.

3. hutchingsp

Thanks for the reply. Sounds worthy of a demo then.

The one potential spanner in the works is that I only need to license something for Exchange initially.

Now if Eset can cut me a deal where I save money overall then that might be an option, but presumably they will just license the Exchange product, it doesn't have to be part of a suite or anything?

4. SoCal_Sparrow

SoCal_Sparrow Registered Member

I believe the XMON product is licensed seperately, per user/mailbox, and can be purchased alone. But I purchased everything bundled.

To really get the best deal, contact your local reseller. THey'll know the ins-and-outs of licensing, and help you better than I can.

http://www.eset.com/partners/napartner.php

5. duijv023

duijv023 Registered Member

I had a few customers that were using TrendMicro products first. After switching to us, at the moments their TRend licenses expired, we moved them to NOD32 Xmon, and Nod32 Enterprise (now: business) Edition.
    The overall performance of the Microsoft Smallbusiness of Exchange servers improved significantly (as we expected :D ). Each migration was a success, ending in a (more than) happy customer.

The one thing besides a little learning curve you must count with, is that some Trend products contain a spamfilter, an NOD32/XMON does NOT!
    So that might be a little point of attention!

Greetings from Holland

6. hutchingsp

That's quite encouraging.

So far it still seems the two main candidates are NOD32 and Kaspersky, I'm not sure if etiquette discussing those in this forum so I shall post in the general A/V forum about those.

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

It is appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.