Nod32 for DOS

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 1 Forum' started by testg, May 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. testg

testg Guest

Does the Nod32 for DOS also works with NTFS? NTFSDOS? Thus instead of peforming a scan in the safe mode one could do just that in DOS. (winXP)
    Also how do you update the signatures for the DOS variant of Nod32? Let say I want to make an emergency boot flopy with the Nod32 Dos scanner, how will I add the current signatures to that floppy so the scanner can use it?

Thank You.

2. Finn McCool

Finn McCool Registered Member

AFAIK, XP doesn't have a true DOS mode. Winnt is the base operating system, and DOS is just a program running under it.

3. jan

jan Former Eset Moderator

Hi testg,

>Does the Nod32 for DOS also works with NTFS?

Sorry, this is not possible.

>Also how do you update the signatures for the DOS variant of Nod32?

There is always the latest version of NOD32 for DOS on:

http://www.nod32.com/download/download.htm

Cheers, :)

jan

4. SDF

SDF Registered Member

What is the difference in NOD32 DOS and NOD32 Win98 ?

Do not all AV programs scan DOS ?

I use Norton's System Works 2001 with current updates at present.

5. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

The issue is with the av's ability to scan an NTFS (NT/2000/XP) volume, or a FAT (DOS/3.x/9x) volume.

Virtually all av's can scan FAT volumes. Not all (DOS specific, 9x specific) can scan NTFS because of the differences in the file systems used.

6. Andreas1

Andreas1 Security Expert

I suppose the question aimed at being able to scan the system from a DOS-rescue disc, so while XP (and2k?) don't have a dos mode, the question of the dos-rescue-disk-capability remains...
    what if you've launched something like Sysinternals' NTFSDos?
    TIA,
    Andreas

7. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Might work! I think the free version of NTFSDOS is read-only, right? The scanner might ID the bug, but not be able to remove it.

But yeah, you'd need a different driver (like NTFSDOS) to be able to access the NTFS volume in "DOS" mode.

8. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Well, I just did a (very) informal test using W2K, a DOS 6.22 boot disk containing the free (read-only) version of NTFSDOS, and the latest version of F-Prot, running everything totally from floppy and command line.

Result: I was able to mount the NTFS volume (sounds painful) as drive d, and scan most of the folders inside. Could not scan the WINNT directory at all, but virtually all of the directories and subs in the Program Files folders, IE content, etc., were covered.

I included an eicar test string to see if the scanner would pick it up, and it did, but could not remove it.

Anyway. FWIW... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.