NOD32 Evaluation Woes

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 1 Forum' started by spm, Dec 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spm

spm Registered Member

Having heard positive comments about NOD32, I decided to give it a try on my Win2K (+SP3) system, also running Outlook 2002 (+SP2). So, I downloaded and installed the NOD32 eval for WinNT/2K/XP yesterday, and then performed a live update.

NB: All the tests I performed were done without any other anti-virus product installed.

Now to the problems...

1. There appears to a complete incompatibility between Outlook 2002 and NOD32's resident monitor (amon). If I start Outlook while amon is running, my system is summarily crashed. No, not frozen, no BSOD - the system simply powers off.

2. If I quit amon before running Outlook (not the most sensible action, from a security point of view), Outlook starts OK and the system does not crash. However, amon cannot subsequently be restarted. Attempts to do so result in the not-exactly-informative message "Error loading resident protection". The only way to restart amon is to reboot.

3. NOD32's resident MAPI protection does not work. Even though it is selected during installation, it does not appear in Outlook 2002's E-Mail accounts (which is where all server types are managed), and I can see no noticeable behaviour.

4. The NOD32 POP3 scanner does in fact seem to function (basically, the only test I was able to perform successfully).

5. When uninstalling NOD32, my system crashes (again, a simple power-off) on subsequrnt reboot when the POP3 service attempts to uninstall itself.

I have wasted considerable time evaluating NOD32, with countless system crashes and system reboots, all to no avail, and I have to report that I have found NOD32 the most unstable app I have ever installed here. All the other anti-virus products I have evaluated and/or used perform in a stable manner.

Does anyone have any helpful suggestions of how NOD32 may be made to work with Outlook 2002, to convince me why I should give it another chance?

(suggestions re using a different e-mail client are not what I am looking for, and will not be welcome)

2. jan

jan Former Eset Moderator

Hi Steve,
    I have to inform you are the only one NOD32 user having reported such a problem, as we know. Anyway, we want to help you. I'll contact you regarding your e-mail address and send you a special version that will log the actions taken on your computer to see what's going on, if you want.

rgds, :)

jan

3. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

...talking about customer support - even on a trial version!
    Outstanding, Jan :).

regards,

paul

4. spm

spm Registered Member

OK, Jan - I have IM'd you my e-mail address.

5. jan

jan Former Eset Moderator

Hey Paul,
    thanks for that, but the applause after we'll get it working ;)

Best wishes,

jan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.