NOD32 & DUN

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by GuruGuy, Jun 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

Recently went from Broadband to dial-up. Have noticed that periodically the pc will dial up when left unattended. No Trojans, Viruses present. I leave Outlook open all the time, however it is set to LAN and the place to automatically dial up to send/retrieve messages is NOT checked. This only leaves one other thing running.............NOD32.

Does NOD32 dial-up and retrieve updates....if so, what settings, where are they located, etc. I think it is currently set to LAN for updates, but I know there is another place where I have TWO checkmarks......the bottom one was left unchecked by default and I have it checked....something about detecting a modem connection...or something. Wondering if maybe this is causing it to dial by itself......

Sorry to ramble.....

2. Karl_Menshy

Karl_Menshy Registered Member

Hi GuruGuy,

I suppose you didn't change the setting after moving to dialup. NOD will think it is connected to the internet or internet is available via broadband and try to retrieve updates periodically. On a dialup system, this may cause the standard provider connection to start.

But you can adjust NOD's update behaviour in the update settings dialog. Start the command center (click on the NOD icon in the system tray bar) and select "update" in the tree view. Next select the menu entry "update" which is a subkey of the one mentioned before (hmmm...maybe the naming could be a bit more precise...); the update settings dialog will appear to the right. You can adjust all updates via the setup button.

However, if you wish to remove a scheduled update, or disable the automatic update, then go to Schedule/Planner menu entry from the NOD32 system tools submenu and adjust the list of scheduled updates.

Hope this is enough info for you, if not, please ask :).

3. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

Is the setting that you are referring to the one where you select LAN, Modem, etc. If so, I have it currently to LAN.....will changing it to "modem" in this place stop it from dialing up by itself, yet still recognize when it is connected to the internet and update while actually dialed up via another method; i.e., Internet Explorer, Outlook, etc.?

Thanks for the reply.

4. Karl_Menshy

When you set it to modem, you can add an automatic schedule item that lets NOD check for updates once it detects a modem connection to the internet.

So set it to dialup, then go to the scheduler, deselect all other update items and add a new one. Select NOD update, event triggered, modem connection to the internet (the last few being settings from the scheduler wizard), and adjust the rest to your wish.

Regards,

Karl

5. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll set it that way when I get home this afternoon.

I'm a little confused as to why it is dialing up by itself though with the LAN setting chosen.......

6. Karl_Menshy

It is not specifically NOD dialing up. NOD is trying to access the internet. And on a dialup system the internet components react to this request by launching the dialup process. You can adjust this behaviour by rightclicking on the IE icon on your desktop. There will be a "connections" tab and there you'll find the settings to disallow any dialling on request. If you set it to never dial a connection, nothing will happen, may NOD or any other program try to access the internet.

7. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

Yes, I'm familiar with that. My workaround has always been to select "lan" and that has always stopped things from dialing up. For example, Outlook is set for lan and it doesn't dial up when it can't find the lan. It just gives a "mail delivery error" until it has a connection. That's why I'm confused about NOD32 dialing up while set to LAN.

I could live with it dialing up all on its own when it is set to "modem".....that would be expected behavior. Setting it to LAN and then having it dial up is not expected behavior. None of my other programs that are set to LAN dial up when they can't find a connection...........why does NOD32?

I'm not trying to be difficult.......just want an explanation. Maybe I'm not understanding something.....

8. Karl_Menshy

Well, you a right about that NOD maybe should not try to dial when set to LAN, good point :). Btw, you should definitely check your scheduled updates settings, if I remember correctly, NOD installs a modem dialup by default...but I may be wrong on this. I guess you can disable the update calls from the scheduler. Good luck when getting home ;).

9. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

Thanks for your help Karl. I'll try your suggestion and see if it stops dialing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.