NOD32 disappointed me :(

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Cryptopsy, Jan 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

Hence the choice of Heuristic detection level and the reduction of FP.

I still get FP with NOD32 whilist NOD32 doesn't have the detection heuristics of Avira on HIGH.

yes it's critical, and no I will not wipe my whole PC because of it. I have my system set to prompt. I will investigate the infection, investigate the file and then decide.
    I would rather know that something fishy is going on, then run dumb and blind into the fire. That way I will be more cautious processing info on a suspect system then process personal sensitive info on a system that is infected and has been infected without me even knowing about it.

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

That's besides the point, you're talking in the perspective of you, an experienced computer user. Yes FP's aren't as important as detection rate, but they are important, and getting a high amount is just as open to criticism as getting a low amount of detection. Yes NOD32 need to improve their detection, but with Avira's high FP rate, and ESET's long track record, I'll wait until they do that.

3. GrammatonCleric

But you still missing the point that there is a CHOICE for you to turn on the HIGH DETECTION high FP, NOD32 has that choice it's called AH, but it's still not that effective.

If I am experienced user, I have a choice of very good protection while understanding the dangers associated with it.

NOD32 AH used to be the best around, however now many others are catching up and even surpassing it.

I understand what negative aspects FP brings to the table, but that would be a major issue if the AV got all bunch of FP with default heuristics or low heuristics, but understandable with high or HIGHEST heuristics.

It's the choice and capabaility that I want, a choice that an experienced user can feel safer and if something is cought can analyze it, while a normal mom/pop can run their system on default. (Avira with normal heuristic has very low FP alert)

And no AH on and fully maxed out does not compare to others heuristic engines even if the others get more FP....I choose to get higher heuristics so I choose to deal with more FPs.

Once again it's just my two cents and just my preferance, the last thing I want is loosing my personal info because maxed out AV did not lend a peep and worst of all, gave me a false sense of protection and security.

4. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Once again, the thread turns into a flaming war with fanboys all over the place.

5. GrammatonCleric

NOt really a fanboy, just a Nod32 user since version 1 among other AV's at the same time and sad to see it fall from grace while singing the old tune of "we miss it 50% of the times but at least we get very or little of FP so hey we are ADVANCE+"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.