NOD32 disables IE

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by CJTBAT, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CJTBAT

CJTBAT Registered Member

o_ODownloaded and installed nod32 on HP computer running XP pro with no errors. Before installing I removed Nortons AV.
    After installation IE and Netscape would not connect to the internet.
    Uninstalled nod32 and IE and Netscape work ok.
    Help!!

- Fixed subject line and "EI" references for benefit of future searches

2. CJTBAT

CJTBAT Registered Member

Re:NOD32 disables EI

Sorry for the Typo it should read "nod32 disables IE"

3. martindijk

martindijk Registered Member

Hi CJTBAT,

Try installing NOD after you have installed IE and Netscape.

Question: what will not connect to the internet??

rgds,
    Martin

4. sig

sig Registered Member

Uninstalling NAV isn't always as easy as it might appear, even using add/remove programs or its own uninstall routine will still leave bits and registry keys that can create problems. It's not unknown for something like this to happen, especially when another AV is subsequently installed.

Here's a link to a removal tool to get the last bits out or you can do that manually although when I last uninstalled NAV years ago I used the removal tool. http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606

So as long as you have NOD uninstalled, try the NAV removal tool per the instructions. It appears from the screenshots on the symantec page that the removal tool has you reboot when its done so the uninstallation can be completed. Once you've rebooted then reinstall NOD and see if that helps.

5. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

According to your post you have:
    (1) uninstalled NAV,
    (2) then installed NOD32,
    (3) then were not able to connect through IE or Netscape, so
    (4) then uninstalled NOD32, and
    (5) then were able to connect through IE/Netscape

Is this correct?

Try the manual removal of NAV as Sig suggests. Then try reinstalling NOD32. If you continue to have problems, see if disabling the resident scanner (called AMON) makes a difference. It's not as drastic as removing NOD32 again, and may demonstrate that NOD32 is not the problem.

6. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Kharma cookies for the both of you, sig and optigrab ;)

regards.

paul

7. CJTBAT

CJTBAT Registered Member

sig & optigrab
    optigrab, you have the problem listed correctly.
    I went to the link sig had in his reply and downloaded the removal tool. After using the tool and reinstalling nod I still have the same problem. When trying to connect to the internet through IE or Netscape in get a messsage "Can not find server". I then disabled AMON, IE or Netscape still can not find server.
    Uninstalled nod, IE or Netscape both connect to the internet.

8. optigrab

Peculiar! Seems strange that NOD32 would affect connectivity. Perhaps you could describe how you are connecting to the internet, and other software & services you are concurrently running. Hardware/software firewalls, routers, dial-up, cable, proxies, etc. Recent info from a firewall log would be a big help, if possible.

9. CJTBAT

CJTBAT Registered Member

This info is from nod:
    NOD32 Antivirus System information
    Virus signature database version: 1.498 (20030901)
    Dated: Monday, September 01, 2003
    Virus signature database build: 3887

Information on other scanner support parts
    Advanced heuristics module version: 1.003 (20030805)
    Advanced heuristics module build: 1032
    Archive support module version: 1.003 (20030903)
    Archive support module build version: 1056

Information on installed components
    NOD32 For Windows NT/2000/XP - Base
    Version: 2.000.6
    NOD32 For Windows NT/2000/XP - Internet support
    NOD32 for Windows NT/2000/XP - Standard component

Operating system information
    Platform: Windows XP
    Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1
    Version of common control components: 5.82.2800
    RAM: 512 MB
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.60GHz (2600 MHz)

Other equipment:
    Hp Officejet 7110
    Okidata ml420 printer
    Paradyne Stomeport 620 dsl modem
    Netgear mr814 router

I'm using XP built-in firewall. How do I get the firewall log?

Programs:
    XP Pro
    Ad-aware
    Spybot
    Office 97 Pro
    Quicken
    Microsoft Outlook
    IE 6.0
    Natscape 4.79
    Quick time
    Media play
    Real One

10. optigrab

To be honest, I do not use DSL, WinXP firewall, or a router (yet), so hopefully someone will check in with an experience-based opinion. In the meantime, if you want to try the following:

Here is, I believe, a page on viewing the XP Firewall log.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/proddocs/hnw_firewall_view_log.asp

And here are, I believe, instructions for disabling/enabling the XP Firewall:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/proddocs/hnw_enable_firewall.asp

You may wish to examine /post some of the firewall log. Further, I would see if temporarily disabling the firewall returns connectivity with NOD32 installed.

With a little more investigating, and some further assistance from other members, this will get ironed out. I'm confident the problem isn't NOD32.

11. sig

sig Registered Member

Well that would certainly irk me. (I don't have a great deal of patience when it comes to computer issues. And computers don't respond well to big thwacks with a ball peen hammer. ;) )

OK, I haven't had any of these problems myself, but I seemed to recall some other people reporting problems with internet connectivity after a NOD installation. You're not getting any error messages? Just can't connect to the net?

Well I went back and browsed a bit for some earlier threads that might involve a loss of connectivity and came up with one thread which led to another. These guys were also getting error messages, though, either from NOD or other programs. It seemed the email scanner IMON was involved in some fashion (or at least was a part of the symptom) since it does monitor internet traffic and not in a pop proxy mode like the old version 1 email scanner. (Not AMON which is the resident scanner.)

As a quickie test shut down IMON (I'm assuming your using that) and see if that makes a difference. If it does, that's a clue. If it doesn't well we're still clueless but on to the next step.

In the threads I've linked to below the fix attempts first involved attempting to repair network connectivity via IMON In the Control Center click on IMON, then setup then on the next panel advanced setup and then in the next panel that opens at the bottom you'll see network configuration change and a "repair connection" button. Click on that button to repair connection. It takes a while as I recall. See if that makes any difference. (Don't recall if you have to reboot or not.)

If that doesn't work perhaps using a winsock repair tool which is linked to in one of the threads. Clearly something is messing up your internet connection and it may be something similar to what these other two fellows had. Here are the two threads in order I read them going back in time:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=11051

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=11005

I hope this is helpful to you. Or at least gives you others' experiences to compare with your own. Let us know how it goes.

12. sig

sig Registered Member

Ah, I wouldn't advise temporarily disabling the firewall at this point until the similar issues and fixes other people had and tried are at least looked at. It may be the winsock that needs repair.

ICF is less intrusive than some other software firewalls since it has no outbound blocking and no self defense mechanisms (as far as I know) as does ZA, for example, which has been known to occasionally go wonky and prevent connectivity.

Anyway, let's see if he comes back with a report or at least asks to borrow my hammer. :D

13. CJTBAT

CJTBAT Registered Member

:D :D sig and optigrab
    sig, I don't think I need to borrow my hammer now. The thread http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=11005 was the answer.
    I didn't know I had SpamSubtract installed on my computer.
    By uninstalling SpamSubtract and then loading nod32 I now have internet connectivity through IE and Netscape.
    Thanks Guys for all your help!

14. sig

sig Registered Member

Wow! I didn't mention a spam blocker since you didn't list one, but I'm glad I picked the right thread for you to look at. Great! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.