NOD32 complementary software

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by 1commander, Nov 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1commander

1commander Registered Member

I am pretty new to the security scene and am trying to get myself protected well. I don't mind learning new things, although I obviously prefer simplicity. I have NOD32 v3 since it was highly recommended by people on this forum for being lightweight but also a good av program in general. I am trying to build a security setup around NOD32.

My setup so far:
    NOD32
    Comodo Firewall with Defense+
    Mamutu

And on demand:
    Sandboxie (trying it out)
    MBAM
    SAS
    Spyware Blaster

I am looking for any and all suggestions. I understand that one should have the following: an antivirus program, a firewall, a HIPS program, and several on demand (non-real-time) anti-malware programs.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

It sounds like you are the right track already.

One package I use and recommend is SuperAntiSpyware.

The free version is an on-demand scanner only, but has the option to be real-time with the Pro version.

3. Jaki

Jaki Guest

Hi 1 Commander

The only flaw in your security is NOD32. Get rid of NOD32 man, do not trust it . Get instead Avira or Kaspersky or Avast Pro or free or VIPRE or Dr Web. That's my advice to you.

Peace.

4. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

I don't know if you should use both Comodo with D+ and Mamutu...seems like too much. I'd say you're fine with comodo with d+ only.

Anyway, I recommend:

Keyscrambler: Best protection against keyloggers, if they ever bypass your security apps. Free version available, premium recommended.
    Defensewall: Great security, easy to use, really recommended. Not free though.

Also if you're not using a backup app you could start using one. There are a lot of free ones, but personally I'd recommend Acronis True Image.

5. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Do you have any particular reason to bash NOD32 on its own support forum? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but do you have anything to back up your obvious hatred for the software?

As a reseller and a long time user of Eset products, I have never once had a problem with any of their software.

To the OP, having NOD32 is a good thing in my opinion. You are on the right track with securing your system. Keep up the good work :thumb:

6. gery

gery Registered Member

That is what i wanted to say you don't need both Mamutu and Comodo with D+ use one of them

7. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

@ 1commander

I think your setup is more than aadeguate. Malware should sweat to bypass those defences. You don't need anything else imho.

@Capp

Thanks for the nice little password manager. I found it very cosy. :thumb:

8. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Well thank you! :D:D:D
    Glad you like it. An update is being developed right now to add more functionality to it.

9. Fuzzfas

No, i insist, i thank YOU! :D I hope you won't overdo it with too much functionality. The reason i like it is because it is very straightforward. It does what's supposed to, in the most direct way possible. And being simple, it minimizes the chances of bugs. You don't need to read manuals, nothing. Maybe the improvement that i wouldn't mind in the future, would be stronger encryption.

Other than that, this little program is great, because even a 70 year old grandmother can understand it right away. :thumb:

10. Doodler

Doodler Registered Member

I tend to agree. I'm approaching my one-year anniversary with NOD32. I got infected with a trojan one month after dumping Norton in favor of NOD32. But it was a zero-day exploit and my thinking is I would have gotten infected regardless of my AV. Other than that experience, Eset has been very quiet on my system and not a resource hog like Norton was.

To the OP - I now consider my heavy weapon against malware to be Sandboxie. I've been using it, along with NOD32 and SuperAntispyware, since I recovered from the malware attack. I'm also behind a router that serves as my firewall. No HIPS for me...don't like it.

11. gery

gery Registered Member

Nod 32 is a very good antivirus and no reason to bash it anyway

12. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

NOD32 has been shown to be weak with Spyware. So best to complement it with some good AS, like SAS or MBAM.
    Also since Eset has no behavioral component, something like ThreatFire may be also a great addition.

13. ronnycopeh

ronnycopeh Registered Member

Just came back to Nod32 after an update to Avast started causing user a lot of problems, been happy every since, I use it with Spyware terminator & Superantispyware (realtime) and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (on demand) and spywareblaster installed. My system run great with no slow downs.I also use windows firewall.

14. 1commander

Why do you say that? Don't trust NOD 32? I was under the impression it was considered one of the best.

15. 1commander

I've worried about the mamutu and D+ combination. Truth be told, I often disable D+ because it is so annoying sometimes, and Mamutu just seems to work. Plus, at my skill level, I am not always sure that something is or is not a bad thing, so I appreciate Mamutu's ability to go by community actions.

Would defensewall overlap with D+ or Mamutu? Or are they entirely different programs?

16. 1commander

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I really do try to consider everything, but I have to learn a lot to make the appropriate considerations.

17. Fuzzfas

They are different. Having all 3 is mostly overkill. Comodo alone, if you reply correctly to pop ups, should suffice. With either Mamutu or Defensewall it's more than enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.