NOD32+Comodo or ESET Smart Security 4

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by hamzah95, Jun 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hamzah95

hamzah95 Registered Member

I have been thinking and wanted to ask you guys if Nod32+Comodo's firewall would equal more protection than just ESET Smart Security. I am using the Trial version of ESET SS and have 17 days left and wanted to see what you guys think about the combo.
    I have some more questions(will ask for more as they come up):
    1.Does NOD32 also have the HTTP scanner? If doesn't
    2.Can I use ESET Smart Security with personal firewall disabled with comodo.
    3.Can i use 2 HIPS at the same time? (DefenseWall and Defense+)Like have NOD32+COMODO(with its defense+)+DefenseWall running at the same time without any conflicts.
    4. What settings should i use for Comodo?
    5.What the Firewall Security level should be at, for more security?
    6.What the Defense+ Security level should be at, for more security?
    7.What happens when i goto Firewall>Define a new Trusted application>Select>Groups>All applications.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  2. 3xist

3xist Guest

I can answer your Comodo questions.

3. It's not a good idea to use 2 HIPS at the same time due to possible conflicts, Comodo's HIPS is very powerful enough on it's own.
    4. Default Settings should be fine.
    5. Safe Mode is the way to go (on by default).
    6. Safe Mode.
    7. Then you trust all applications in that group, you won't get alerted much (or at all) for those applications or if you do receive an alert for that trusted application, it will say it's safe or signed.

Since you are POSSIBLY using NOD32 AV and Comodo Firewall, For strong protection switch Comodo to "Proactive Security (Right click tray icon, configuration and switch from there), This put's CIS on high. However during the Comodo installation when you choose COMODO Firewall only, you will have 3 options: Basic Firewall, Optimal, Max. Choosing Max will set it to high too, Optimal and default configuration is OK too.

Cheers,
    Josh

3. hamzah95

OMG Thanks a lot for replying.

Your answer for Q3, isn't Defensewall's HIPS stronger than COMODO's
    and if i do use both of them at once what conflicts can i get?
    Your answer for Q7, What do you mean by trust all applications in that group?
    Or can you just ellaborate the answer in greater details because I completly don't get it.
    Will it make all the apps in my pc trusted? If so then what abt the ones i install later will they be trusted aswell?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  4. hamzah95

::Crickets::
    Anybody there?

5. 3xist

3xist Guest

I won't say DefenseWall's HIPS is stronger then Comodo's, Nor Comodo's is stronger then DefenseWall. DefenseWall uses "sandbox" like HIPS and divides applications into "trusted" and "untrusted" HIPS. Comodo is just a very powerful classical HIPS. I am not aware of any conflicts between DefenseWall and COMODO, Maybe the DefenseWall developer can clarify this for us, I just PMed him. :)

If you make Trusted Applications in Firewall section, it created automatic allow rules. You will NOT get alerted with pop ups for the ones you trust (No Firewall Alerts).

Cheers,
    Josh

6. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

As far as I know, there is, technicaly, no conflicts between DefenseWall and Comodo.

7. cqpreson

cqpreson Registered Member

In my view,one is enough.Many will waste the resource.If you used ESS,you'd better not use other third part firewalls.It seems that they will have conflict.
    If you used ESET antivirus only,maybe it's ok.
    If you use comodo,you can use Cleaning PC mode firstly.When you had run all applications and comodo set rules for those applications,you can switch to Privity Mode.It is my opinion.

8. hamzah95

Thanks a lot all for your help. Problem Solved, moved from ESS to NOD32+Comodo+DefenseWall.
    Will continue using both the HIPS as they don't take up much resources. And will not select all applications as trusted as its still not clear, nvm.
    Thanks all again.

9. 3xist

3xist Guest

You can still do it.

It's very simple: You select on application, or a group of applications as you previously described, These will then NOT be alerted for by the Firewall. It just creates automatic allow rules. That's it.

Cheers,
    Josh

10. cqpreson

cqpreson Registered Member

Good idea.In this way,we can let comodo clear.

By the way:I want to know if this forum have MSN group:D ?

11. 3xist

3xist Guest

Hmmm... :)

Cheers,
    Josh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.