Nod32 causing downloads to freeze

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by codylucas16, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Could we keep this thread on topic, please? If you have issues w/ installing NOD32, there's a new thread button.

2. vtol

vtol Registered Member

cannot agree more, though Eset keeps awfully silent on this, except for pointing the finger to the whiny user and advise to switch off NOD modules as a workaround... ...and thus might as well continue with installation issues to avert the matter of this thread

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Would you please create a Procmon log from the moment of downloading the JRE installer, upload it somewhere and PM me the link? It might shed more light and help us understand what's happening during the download.

4. doktornotor

Well sure, but not until Monday... Remote access to that box is limited to several IPs none of which I'll be able to use during the weekend. :)

5. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I can confirm that disabling Self-extracting archives in Web access protection solves this problem for me too.

6. doktornotor

Well... just FYI, this issue has been identified an a problem with copying NTFS Zone Identifiers (ADS) via SMB/CIFS. You can view those w/ AlternateStreamView e.g.; not sure how to solve the issue yet but that's NOD32 related apparently. The relation to the download problem here is only that "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer" warning which comes courtesy of those zone identifiers.

7. DavidNL

DavidNL Registered Member

Hello everyone,

Just want to report that i have the same problem, ekrn.exe going to 99% CPU and my computer freezing when i download files in Firefox.

For example downloading http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-3.6.3&os=win&lang=en-US takes about 40 seconds to scan (starting to count when the download reached 100%).

That doesn't seem acceptable to me ? Hopefully a fix will come soon.

Regards,
    David.

8. Marcos

As for the Firefox installer, it contains 1390 files inside and takes about 20 seconds to get scanned which is reasonable considering the number of files. None of the files inside was scanned slowly, it took most time (200 ms) to scan helper.exe, the others were scanned even faster.

9. MrBeen

MrBeen Registered Member

I have the same problem and i had to go back to 4.0.474 (even if that old version had another problemwith slow navigation)

all downloaded files freeze, sometimes if you clic on "pause" download et restart it finish it but most time i have to cancel

10. xacto

xacto Registered Member

Confirmed..4.0.314....5096 database here...
    Downloads stop at 99% and ekrn jumps to 99% cpu usage.
    For me, it happens downloading isos from microsoft like the WDK.
    Turning off stuff in nod "fixes it" but its not a real solution.

11. sunoracle

sunoracle Registered Member

I tried KIS 2010 and had problems with it. I guess it's just junk and I should stick with ESS. Oh, wait, davhag64 says NOD32 is junk, so I better look elsewhere.

Maybe NIS 2010? Oh, wait, I had some problems with it too.

I think I'm just going to not run any security software at all. I'll shut off the Windows firewall, WD and UAC too. Then I'll just run as an administrator and make my password blank. No more issues with downloads, false alerts, passwords.

I'm going to stop using Wilders Security Forums too, because I won't need any advice on security stuff.

In fact, I think I'm going to wipe the HD on my PC and not run any software at all. It's that darn software that causes all the problems.

There! Now I never have to worry about updates, patches, bugs, malware, or anything. I don't even have to plug my computer into the AC mains, so think how much money I'll save. Without any software, there's no reason to upgrade hardware ever. This computer will last me for the rest of my life.

Thank you davhag64! You changed my life!

12. Marcos

ISO files are usually large (hundreds of MB) so it takes time to extract all files from them and scan each one. A solution/workaround to this problem would be excluding iso files from scanning or setting a size limit for archives in the web protection setup.

13. MrBeen

MrBeen Registered Member

isn't it possible to admit that there is a real problem ?

i'm trying to download skype portable from portableapps (15mo) and the downloand never finished

14. Marcos

Could you please provide a url to that Skype installer? I couldn't find any that was about 15 MB in size.

15. MrBeen

MrBeen Registered Member

16. Marcos

No problems with this Skype installer whatsoever. The file was scanned in about 3 seconds and the subsequent online installation went quickly.

17. MrBeen

MrBeen Registered Member

very strange that many people has the same problem with that version

another ex of freezed file : MPC home cinema (5mn and still ... scanning ?)

FYI i have a netbook 2go ram and i had no pb with build 474

18. vtol

vtol Registered Member

yeah, strange it is, yet not to bother eset, just switch off all scanners and you good to go

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  19. Marcos

Please always provide a link to problematic files so that we can test it on our end.

20. vtol

vtol Registered Member

why don't recommend the usual workaround?
    that way Eset does not need to be bothered with the subject

21. Darkling

Darkling Registered Member

I think i found the problem. I have Admuncher installt. When i download as example Convertxtodvd from http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/download-convertxtodvd.php

I get the message that the sourchefile could not been read in FF (latest version) see screen1, also sometime FF freezes.

In IE8 i get the message that the connection to the server been broke and must download again.

When i uninstall Admuncher (latest version) I can download and save every file whitout problems in FF and IE8.

Does Nod32 4.2 has a conflict whit Admuncher and are you guys have installt Admuncher?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  22. vtol

vtol Registered Member

not my end

23. mrapoc

mrapoc Registered Member

definitely getting it my end

all setting on default

happens in every browser i have tried, chrome, ie, ff, opera

on a fresh install (aka nothing but a browser, and eset installed extra)

so yeh, this needs to be fixed eset, every file i download takes longer than it should, but my main gripe is the way it locks up/freezes the browser...

I think there is enough evidence that there is something wrong and about time we got an eset response on the matter else it may be time to jump ship

24. Marcos

If you download large archives on a regular basis it might be a good idea to set a size limit for scanned objects. Otherwise you may end up with the ESET scanner extracting dozens or hundreds of files which takes time and applications downloading the files may time out.

25. The PIT

The PIT Registered Member

Must be a better solution otherwise you're depending on the real time scanner to catch the virus hiding in the large file when it's opened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.