NOD32 Business Edition V3

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Chrisnet46, Oct 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrisnet46

Chrisnet46 Registered Member

Hello,

I am looking for a new corporate antivirus product for our company (12 servers, 250+ workstations). We are currently using CA Etrust V 7.1.
    I've read many good things about NOD32 V2.7. However, V3 seems to draw some complaints.

If there is any sysadmins on the forum who where using V2.7 and now V3. I would appreciate if they can give some feedback on this new version.

Thank you very much.

Christophe

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

No serious problems since I first used v2.5 to deploy in corporate environments. As with every new product , when v3 came out it took some time until one gets used to it and some more specific things about it .

Can you describe your network environment (what the server are , what they are used to , the workstations ... ) ?

3. ogsi

ogsi Registered Member

I had no problems with clients upgrading from 2.7 to 3.x
    most servers had no problem but some did on 3.0.650 - it is all fixed and working fine now
    the only problem I had with the way they work is the time it took from the moment 3.0.650 released to th point they fixed it and the no comment policy which left us in the dark for too long
    other then that the product is very good and I'm happy

4. Chrisnet46

Workstations OS : W2K/XP.
    We have some old computers (PIII / 128MB), that's why NOD32 drew my attention since it seems to be very light.

Servers OS : W2K and 2K3
    - File servers,
    - TSE servers, we have 30 remote sites with 1 to 10 computers per site,
    - Database servers (Oracle),
    - Exchange
    - ISA

5. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Hi Chrisnet46,

Welcome to the Official ESET Support Forum!

I've been using NOD32 for several years much like HiTech_boy and operate as the defacto admin for several clients.

To date my personal experience with the v3 products EAV & ESS has only been excellent and my only expectation in that will continue. The products are light, efficient and perhaps most importantly almost infinitely configurable!

Only this week we upgraded a corporate clients network from CA Etrust V 7.1 to ESS BE. The process was simple and painless and would not even have required a reboot of the server if it wasn't convenient, apart from removal of the previous product required one (although we did anyway because it's our standard practice)

We were able to deploy the product pre-configured to each workstation through the ESET Remote Administration Server without even having to visit each one individually, and confirm correct operation and update through the Remote Administration Console. ESS on the Office PC's for the anti-spam and EAV on the back-office terminals. It couldn't be easier.

I would suggest getting in contact with your local ESET reseller to arrange for an evaluation licence so that you have the opportunity to test drive v3 for yourself.

If you don't mind me asking, which country are you in?

Cheers :)

6. Chrisnet46

I did already contact a local reseller and did a test drive.

Why did your client didn't choose to upgrade to Etrust 8.1 ?

7. NOD32 user

Simply, it was on my recommendation - ESET has the best independently evaluated track record.
    The decision was immediately validated by the heuristic detection of a Win32/Hupigon variant that had been residing on one of the Office PC's unnoticed.

If it helps, one (and only one thankfully) of the workstations is XP Pro SP2 running on a Celeron 400 w/ 256MB RAM and some old AGP 1x card for video - no problem there, and as a bonus it's more responsive now than it was. Everything else is no worse than 2 year old P4's. Server is a dual quad core xeon beast.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  8. Chrisnet46

9. ASpace

ASpace Guest

CA's detection rate is has never been even close to ESET's , not to mention that CA's heuristic technologies (if there are any , at all) can in no way beat ESET's proactive protection.

Admins choose ESET solutions because of the fact they are light , fast , easy to use and does protection against (most) of the threats out there. I say most because no antivirus can and will ever detect every peace of malicious code , in the modern connected world we live in . However , some detect more than others :)

With ESET Smart Security you can easily deploy ^network policies^ and control ^network activities^ on the workstations , for example . Additionally you have easy to use anti-spam .

10. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Don't read/blindly trust forum topics because they doesn't represent the reality . They represent end-user computers full of all kind of software and disordered OSes + the lack of knowledge of some of them about the technical part of the program .

11. NOD32 user

The thing with a support forum is that nearly all posters are those with an issue looking for help, or a few who just have a proverbial axe to grind - either way if you count them they represent an extremely small percentage of the millions of licenses that ESET have out there.

I don't want to talk you into anything, but how did your evaluation go?

12. Chrisnet46

The evaluation was OK, but I've installed NOD32 only on three computers. It's difficult to extrapolate performance results from a test environment to predict production performance.

Two things, I've noticed though :

1 - I've tested the mail alert and I received a lot of blank emails, why ? I didn't find out.
    2 - One important feature is currently missing : no alert is sent to the sysadmin when the real-time scanner is disabled. I've tested the beta version of ERA, the new notifications manager will have this option implemented. Is there any release date for this update ?

Marcos says also in a post that potentially unsafe app should remain disabled in a network environment that means commercial keyloggers won't be detected, it quite worrying

13. NOD32 user

Hi Chrisnet46,

I'm just on my way out but so please forgive the lack of detail here, but I agree with Marcos, understanding that to mean off for real-time protection only so that the email and http entry points are still protected, and then once exclusions are added for anything that you actually use you may wish to re-enable again even for real-time protection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.