NOD32 "broken" for now, so... (UPDATE)

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by SG1, Aug 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Due to a sudden onset of blue screen "fatal exception OC at f000:0000814d" messages/crashes, starting last Saturday, I can no longer run NOD32 on demand scanner. Imon, Amon work as do the updates and the e-mail is checked also... but I feel rather bare w/out the scanner as you may guess. I went on a download frenzy recently, and I wanted to be prudent in scanning files before I run-install any, of course... but I can't.
    A tech at Eset told me to run scandisk, check for updated (hardware) drivers esp. for video card, and to run a memory checker; I guess that the above problem may be related to a failing RAM chip. Again, trouble started on the weekend, suddenly, where all worked great until then.

1) So... if I were to get another AV program so I can have a scanner again, would I have to shut off Amon, Imon, etc., as it and another AV may have a conflict? (Everything but NOD32 scanner still works).

2) And, I was reading about AVs and firewalls here on this site, and have D'L some of the both to try. But, if you'd opine on (other) AVs a bit, I would appreciate it. (I know it sounds like a flame inducing query in this forum, to ask about "other" AVs, but I do need just a temporary fix).

Soon as I isolate trouble, I'll return to using NOD32, but until then I feel exposed w/out an on demand scanner (to check files after downloading them).

Many thanks for advice, for a temp. AV scanner-cleaner to use; again, that's assuming that it won't conflict with rest of NOD that is still working.

Best, SG1 (Pat)

2. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

If you have purchased NOD, go for;

1. Either a free on-demand only scanner such as BitDefender, F-Prot for DOS or eScan AV Utility( should therefore have less potential conflicts with NOD if you are keeping it installed).

2. A free scanner which also has a running guard; e.g Avast or AntiVir.

3. Failing this choose one of the good commercial scanners, KAV, Dr Web, F-Prot, Command, mks_vir 2004 etc and take advantage of their trial versions.

Hope your NOD gets better :D

4. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Agree with this.

Might also consider leaning on Housecall and their ilk for the foreseeable future, as well.

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.