NOD32 breaks ActiveX?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by csmager, Jan 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. csmager

csmager Registered Member

I really do think you've solved it - or at least found a workable solution!

What exactly is the install file? Just a copy of the program with the DMON module removed? Will I have to use this file everytime I have to install NOD32? Because if so, I'd better keep it somewhere very safe!

I know this is a solution, but ideally it'd be nice if it worked 'out of the box' as it were - can you think of any reason some people are getting unresolveable issues with this and some aren't?

Thanks again

Charlie

2. Phil_S

Phil_S Registered Member

Well done Mr. Coot, you've solved it :D :D :D

I had installed NOD in expert mode and excluded DMON, but like you said, it doesn't completely remove DMON as the icon is still visible in the contol centre.

Anyway, replacing the file you suggested has fixed it. I guess I'd better put a copy of that somewhere very safe, along with your instructions.

Thank you very much. I'm now going off to try and grow some hair again :)

3. jmc777

jmc777 Registered Member

Fixed it for me too! :)

4. Hexaguano

Hexaguano Registered Member

Completely removing DMON worked for me as well (WinXP SP2). I wouldn't have known I had a problem until I read this post. Thanks!

So, will the next release fix this problem or will we have to get another "special" file ?

5. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Wa-heeeeeey.......excellent news!

I'll ask the developers whether a fix can be added to the next PCU or not. For the moment, hang on to the .nup file that I sent (to Phil_S and csmager) and if anybody else needs this file, please contact me at support@eset.com and I'll gladly send you a copy.

I'll report back here as and when I get some information from my techno chums.

Bandicoot. :D

6. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

First of all, could I ask Phil_S, csmager and anybody else with the same issues regarding ActiveX, to send a HijackThis log in to Eset? When doing so, could you tell us what type of CPU you have on your machine and whether you're running XP SP2?

(Here's a link for HijackThis: http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/~merijn/downloads.html

Please send logs and info to support@eset.com

Thanks very much to everybody.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2005
  7. Phil_S

Phil_S Registered Member

Hi Bandicoot,

Log sent :)

Many thanks,

Phil

8. wpritch

wpritch Registered Member

I have tried the web site mentioned before. Sp2 with IE at default settings, and NOD32 at max settings....no problem in installing the component.

9. Phil_S

Phil_S Registered Member

For you, maybe not, but for those of us affected by this problem it has been necessary to replace one of the NOD installation files with a dummy file that has the effect of completely removing DMON from the NOD installation.

Why this is necessary, and why it only affects some machines is something that Eset are investigating, but I can assure you having applied Eset's fix that NOD (specifically DMON) was causing the problem.

10. S!x

S!x Registered Member

Active X is just a set of rules on how programs will share information...

So if this is NOD 32 (DMON) causing this, why isn't it the same for everyone with the same configuration?...(NOD,SP2, using IE) The rule applied would be the same for everybody.

Maybe DMON is doing it's job? ... possibly those Active x controls may not be safe to run on your PC for one reason or another? ...

Definantly a strange deal ... seems it's about a 50/50 chance of being affected.

Test works fine on mine running IE, SP2, NOD32 ...DMON running strong. Although i had to weaken mi IE security settings ...to allow Active X controls to run.

(A.) An ActiveX control is similar to a Java applet. Unlike Java applets, however, ActiveX controls have full access to the Windows operating system.)

(B.) An ActiveX control can be automatically downloaded and executed by any Web browser.)

i usually don't allow any Active X controls to run at all ... not good for security.

NOD32 Antivirus System information
    Virus signature database version: 1.964 (20050104)
    Dated: Tuesday, January 04, 2005
    Virus signature database build: 5124

Information on other scanner support parts
    Advanced heuristics module version: 1.011 (20041126)
    Advanced heuristics module build: 1067
    Internet filter version: 1.002 (2004070:cool:
    Internet filter build: 1013
    Archive support module version: 1.025 (20041221)
    Archive support module build version: 1106

Information on installed components
    NOD32 For Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 - Base
    Version: 2.12.4
    NOD32 For Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 - Internet support
    NOD32 for Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 - Standard component

Operating system information
    Platform: Windows XP
    Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
    Version of common control components: 5.82.2900
    RAM: 512 MB
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53GHz (2545 MHz)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2005
  11. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Could it possibly be related to whether it's simply a stand-alone computer or a LAN? Or indeed to whether or not you've even got M$ Office installed? (I don't). Pete

12. csmager

But it does this when DMON is supposed to be disabled? And it does this on ActiveX controls that are perfectly safe - actually, it does it on every ActiveX control!

All my PCs are on a Windows 2003 Domain behind a NAT ADSL router, and they all have the same problem. I did try completely reinstalliing windows and not joining the domain, still it didn't work. I also tried using a dialup connection, and it still didn't work - although I probably did this one while joined to the domain.

Office 2003 is installed, but it wasn't on the completely blank installation.

13. aliwiseman

aliwiseman Registered Member

Hi there. Not sure if this may help but i'll put it anyway.

Nod32 is commonly picked upon as a prog that conflicts with many things. This is quiet often resolved by the order of how things are installed... eg uninstall Nod, install app, re-install nod, or vice versa.

I've encountered this with a few things when using Nod, not least Spysweeper, which throws a fit and disables more shields than u can shake a stick at!

Following this with a curious air as i've seen nod mentioned enuff to think maybe its easier to do without.

Alistair Wiseman

Alistair Wiseman Homepage

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Nod is the least intrusive antivirus program I have ever used. I have used a lot of them over a ten year period.
    It is a fact, any antivirus program can have conflicts on different machine configurations.

15. Phil_S

Phil_S Registered Member

If you read through the thread, you'll see that we both did some fairly extensive testing before suggesting NOD as being related to the problem.

I for one had been applying MSKB tweaks and altering registry settings for over two weeks before exhausting ideas. I then completely wiped everything and started again from scratch.

It's difficult to suggest how to install things differently when I came to the conclusion that NOD was implicated after completely wiping my machine, reformatting and installing only the OS before installing NOD. Should I have installed NOD before I put an OS on my machine o_O

The fact is that on my machine with only XP Pro installed straight off disk and SP2 including all available updates applied, activeX worked. As soon as I installed NOD it stopped. As soon as I applied the fix suggested by Bandicoot (who is an Eset employee) the problem was resolved. There were no other apps on my machine to conflict with NOD.

I am not knocking NOD at all. I think it is the best AV around, otherwise I wouldn't be using it. I posted in the forum having identified an issue that was a real problem for me, and having become certain through logical testing that NOD was somehow involved. I am also very impressed with Eset's support, which once the problem was identified, could not have been quicker.

The fact is that there are thousands of different permutations of computers, hardware and software configuration out there, and conflicts are to be expected. That is one reason why both hardware and software vendors update their wares and issue patches. MSKB for example is full of solutions for problems that affect some, but not all users of MS software.

I am not blaming NOD. I am not saying NOD is necessarily the component at fault, but there is a conflict between the current version of NOD and my machine. Eset have provided a solution which overcomes this, and they have asked for, and been given, further information in an effort to locate the problem and possibly obtain a more permanent solution. As an end user, I could not ask for more in the way of support than I have been given.

I have been using computers for long enough to know that just because something works on one machine doesn't guarantee that it will work on every other. An assumption that "because X works for me, your problem cannot be X" can only be an assumption, no more, no less. It is helpful to know that other people may not be experiencing the same problem, but it is not helpful to be told that because they are not experiencing the same problem, I must be mistaken.

As a result of this thread it can be extrapolated that a great majority of users are not experiencing any problem with this issue. It is also apparent that a minority, maybe a very small minority, are. I only came across csmager after days spent searching the Internet and newsgroups trying to find if anyone was experiencing similar issues to me. Since posting our findings here, at least one other person (who has contributed to this thread) has found that he also had the same problem, which until he attempted the test, he had been completely unaware of, and he has also overcome the problem by applying Eset's fix. There may be others who also have the same issue, but are still unaware of it, because they don't subscribe to this forum, haven't read this thread, or haven't encountered a situation wher they needed to install a particular activex control to enable a new item of hardware, and found that to be impossible.

From the methological testing that I have carried out to verify this problem before I even contemplated posting anything here, I am certain that either:

1) There is a conflict between NOD 2.12.3 and my machine, which could well be caused by either the harware configuration of my machine, or the way in which it is networked, or:

2) There is a conflict between NOD 2.12.3 and the extremely rare and unique version of Windows XP Pro that Bill Gates wrote specially for me and a small handful of other (un?)lucky people ;)

I am not sure what more is to be gained by continuing discussions on this issue. A small minority of us had a problem. We identified the circumstances in which in manifested itself to us, and we raised it. Bandicoot, bless him, identified a solution. Problem resolved. The only thing I can see as being worthy of any further mention is if Eset or anyone else manages to pinpoint the exact nature and cause of our problem, and hopefully come up with a more permanent solution.

16. Phil_S

Phil_S Registered Member

Even the one that controls Windows Update!

I have four in a workgroup, rather than on a domain, again behind an ADSL router. Two W98SE, one XP and one Linux. I took the XP machine out of the workgroup and put it on a standalone dialup connection to see if the router was implicated. The problem persisted.

I do not have MS Office installed, I am using OpenOffice. DMON was disabled (in fact deselected during installation of NOD in expert mode) although that does not remove the DMON entry from the control centre, and as we now know, does not entirely disable DMON.

17. csmager

I know the people who've managed to fix this problem are now happy, and the people who don't have the problem were never unhappy in the first place, but I think I've made a discovery.

The last PC, which is in the office, I hadn't bothered checking until today. I tried the pcpitstop test, and it worked (to my disbelief). All PCs are pretty similar in their configurations, seeing as I set all of them up.

I was a little confused as to why this PC should work, so I opened up NOD32 Control Centre and low and behold, DMON was enabled. As it's DMON that appears to cause this problem I was slightly confused. Anyway, all my PCs usually have DMON disabled, and it suddenly struck me that this was the difference in the configs. Maybe we're looking at this the wrong way, I thought.

A bit of a long shot, but I deleted the ActiveX control from C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files so I could try and download it again... and then I disabled DMON.

Tried the pcpitstop test again, and it failed, just like usual. I then re-enabled DMON, and it was successful.

I'd like anyone who's read this far, if it's not too much trouble, to try this.

E.g. If you've tried the test, and posted 'no problem here' and can't see what the fuss is about, disable DMON, delete mhLabel.class from C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files and try again. Then re-enable DMON and try a second time.

If you've just used Banicoot's fix, maybe (if you can be bothered, as this one's more time consuming!), install NOD32 from the default installer and try enabling DMON.

If this is the case, then it appears there is a conflict between ActiveX and DMON being disabled, but with it enabled it seems to work fine...

18. jmc777

jmc777 Registered Member

Someone buy this gent a drink! :eek:

I re-installed NOD32, disabled DMON and deleted my flash ActiveX control. Went to the Macromedia website, tried to install the Flash player and it wouldn't install.

Enabled DMON and returned to the Macromedia website, tried to install the Flash player again and.......it installed without a hitch! :D

So the problem only appears when DMON's disabled - this should be easy to fix I'd imagine. Good news!

19. Hexaguano

You are correct csmager!

I reinstalled w/o the "fix". Disabled DMON, and no go. Enabled DMON and the ActiveX control installed/worked fine. Repeated on my other PC. Same result.

20. Phil_S

Phil_S Registered Member

Same here! Can the people who are seeing this confirm that they are running XP SP2?

When I backed out to SP1 that also resolved the issue. Just tried enabling/disabling DMON on one of the W98 machines, and again that works fine either way.

21. Hexaguano

Yes.

PC #1 - XP Home - SP2 latest "updates".
    PC #2 - XP Pro - SP2 latest "updates"

22. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Well done csmager......you're a 'star'! I spent Wenesday afternoon going through 5 user's logs trying to find a common denominator without success. Yesterday was a public holiday in Slovakia, so I was well pleased to see your results today.

I will explain the details of this phenomena to the developers at Eset and hope that they can produce a fix. I'm sure they will be able to.

I will let you all know of developments here on the forum. Thanks again to csmager!

23. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Right..... the bug has been fixed and will be issued with the next version of NOD32 which will be version 2.13.0 and should be out fairly soon.... and no, I haven't been told a date yet, sorry...... just very soon.

Bandicoot.
    :D

24. Phil_S

Phil_S Registered Member

Thanks Bandicoot. You're a star :D

Big thank you to csmager as well :D

Phil

25. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Wellll that might be stretching things a little, have you seeeen what a Bandicoot looks like, it's a rodent, some say varmint, though they are tasty when roasted slowly over a spit ;) :D

:D :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.