NOD32 AV unavoidable e-mail tags

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Pixelize, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pixelize

Pixelize Registered Member

I'm evaluating NOD32 Antivirus (v3.0669 trial downloaded 2 days ago) and the only option for e-mail tags available in the GUI is 'To all scanned email'.

I've checked in the ESET Knowledgebase and found a reply to a question on the subject that states:
    'ESET Smart Security/ESET NOD32 Antivirus 3.0 gives users the ability to append notifications to outgoing or incoming email messages, indicating that the message has been scanned and is not infected. It is very simple to remove these notifications or set them to appear in infected email messages only. To remove the notifications or adjust their settings, follow the steps below:...'
    and shows a GUI graphic menu with several options.

Why is there only one option in the menu I get? Is there any configuration parameter I am missing? - my OS is Win2k pro and so far everything I've tested is working fine except the options to tag/untag e-mail.

Any comments on a solution to this will be very welcome.

Pixelize

2. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

I have been currently build 669 of the business edition and do not see that same behavior, so I am guessing it is some kind of GUI glitch with the trial versions that is giving you the issue. In any case for a manual workaround go Setup, Import and Export settings... and export out an xml file of your current configuration. Open that file up in notepad or wordpad and search for the string "IncomingEmailTagLevel" and "OutgoingEmailTagLevel" and change the Value to "1" for both (I am guessing they will currently be set at 2) and then save and import that XML file back in to Nod32. That should configure things so only infected mail is tagged instead of all messages.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I assume you are using Windows 2000 which does not display the drop-down menus properly. However, you can toggle between the menu values by pressing the arrow keys.

4. Pixelize

Thanks SmackyTheFrog,
    I've just done what you say and it worked OK. Great.

I'm wondering now what happens if I ever get to send an infected message. If tagging is set to 'never' will it get sent and without warnings?. I'd assumed NOD32 AV will warn before sending an infected message or quarantine it immediately rather than sending. It's a test I fear to make.

I've just downloaded the manual, perhaps it is explained there.

Thanks again.

Regards. Pixel.

5. Pixelize

True Marcos,
    I didn't realize that; it does work as you say.

It's been very interesting to learn about the config xml file too; the more I learn about this program the more I like it. Amazing how light on resources it is.

Thanks very much.

Regards. Pixelize

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.