NOD32 AV 5 issue

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Shadowesque, Jan 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadowesque

Shadowesque Registered Member

Yesterday I updated to v5 and have had a couple of issues.

First, gamer mode activates when ever I click on the desktop (desktop has focus). I unchecked the option to activate it when a full screen application is detected and that sorta fix the issue... I say sorta because I would like it to work as intended.

My second issue (the main issue that brings me here today) is the email scanner. I use Thunderbird, which I know ESET has never been able to keep up the the update cycle of Mozilla.... so I didn't expect the extension to work, and it doesn't. However, I wasn't to worried about that because v5 can scan IMAP (I use GMail).

Now this is where the issue really starts. I enabled SSL protocol filtering so that I could use IMAPS... then I turned set tag message to be added "To all scanned email" because I wanted to make sure it was working. Now I launch Thunderbird write and email... send... received. I check the message and no tag messages have been added.

So now I think that maybe it just doesn't add tag messages when scanning IMAP. So I go into tools and check "Email client protection" under "Protection statistics" and it is telling me that no email messages have been scanned.

So basically everything I'm seeing is suggesting to me that email scanning is not working. o_O

This is pretty frustrating considering I know of free versions of virus scanners which use pop/imap scanning and work flawlessly and properly add messages to email sent/received. I expect nothing less from a product that I am paying money for. :mad: :'(

Any ideas? Thanks!

2. Shadowesque

I was playing around with email protection some more. I tried it with POP3 and POP3S and both of those worked as expected. Tag messages were added to email received and the statistics for email client protection showed the number of email scanned.

I can't test IMAP without SSL since GMail requires it. So I can't say if IMAP would work as apposed to IMAPS.

SSL protocal filtering is set to "Always scan SSL protocal" ... and I added exceptions for the ESET certificates when prompted to by Thunderbird.

So I can say for certain that the IMAPS filtering is NOT WORKING! :(

Also this is the software I am using:

Always running:
    COMODO Firewall & Defense+ (5.9.219863.2196)
    ESET NOD32 AntiVirus (5.0.95.0)

On-Demand/Manual only:
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    SpywareBlaster
    SUPERAntiSpyware
    HiJackThis

Email software
    Mozilla Thunderbird (9.0.1)

I have tried with Windows Defender enabled and disabled.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hello,
    this is because Mozilla refuses to accept ESET's root certificate. As a result, email received via POP3S/IMAPS cannot be scanned in recent versions of Thunderbird.

4. rcdailey

rcdailey Registered Member

Excuse me for butting in, but I have Thunderbird 9.0.1 and checked certificates in TB and found the ESET certificate there for both Yahoo and Google (GMail). Maybe I accepted the certificate, but I do not recall doing so. It's good until 2013. That said, I don't believe scanning of secure mail works for me, either. I don't let it bother me, however.

5. Shadowesque

When checking mail with Thunderbird it prompted me to add an exception for ESET's root certificate. I added an exception and it then shows up within Thunderbird's list of certificates. So unless Thunderbird isn't telling me the truth then it hasn't refused to accept the certificate as you are suggesting.

I would think if Thunderbird refuses the certificate, then my email would fail to work at all... however that is not the case. I can still send and receive email, but it just isn't being scanned my NOD32.

So I have to believe the issue is something else... it is broken regardless though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.