NOD32 Antivirus with Norton Internet Security 2006???

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by mimijo, Nov 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mimijo

mimijo Registered Member

Hi all,

i have just bought the NOD32 Antivirus System and Outpost Firewall Pro Version 3.0....was previously a ex-norton user here...

My question is:

I have tried out Outpost Pro Firewall, and its too confusing for me...I don't know anything regarding those firewall's rules etc...I will like to switch back to my Norton Internet Security 2006 (bcos Norton Personal Firewall is not avail in my country's store) but using NOD32 as my antivirus scan...

Is is possible to use NOD32 Antivirus System with Norton Internet Security 2006? I know that Norton Antivirus is Included in Norton Internet Security but I only want to use the NOD32 as my antivirus scan...

Can I disable the Antivirus in Norton so that I can use my NOD32?
    By the way, what is Resident and On-Demand Scannero_O
    Can I have 2 Antivirus on my computero_O

Pls advise....thanks in advance!!!:rolleyes:

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi mimijo

... and welcome to Wilders :)

Yes you can use NIS and NOD32 together.
    When installing NIS you should have the choice/option to install NAV. You could always elect not to install NAV.

Resident is the anti-virus running in real time scanning files as you are using them. On demand means it is not running, but can be started manually to scan files.

You do not want to have more than one real time/resident AV. So if you do install NAV, disable it from being a resident AV actively scanning files/starting automatically. NAV could then be used as an additional on demand scanner.

Regards,

CrazyM

3. mimijo

mimijo Registered Member

hi CrazyM,

thanks for the reply n info...

so that means that I can still use NIS with NOD32?
    Can you confirm that NIS have an option for me not to install NAV during installationo_O Cos I don't remember NIS has this option during the installation setup...?

Or maybe can I use NIS's Antivirus as "Resident"...
    And NOD32 for the On-Damand Av? If so, whats the setting for Nod32 to be the On-Demand scannero_O

thanks in advance!

4. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Yes.
    Well it did have that option, but it has been sometime since I have used NIS. The 2003 version to be precise, and when I had it installed to evaluate I had NOD32 as resident and configured NAV as on demand. Just pay close attention to the install routine (and look for a custom install option if offered in the 2006 version). During the same time frame I also just installed the firewall without NAV.

That would be an option as well. In that scenario you would disable Amon which is the resident/real time component of NOD32.

Regards,

CrazyM

5. mimijo

mimijo Registered Member

CrazyM,

alright anyway thanks so much for the info and guideline....
    I still have my NIS 2005 on hand now, and maybe its better for me to try installing it again to see whether NIS have the option for me to not to install the NAV during setup...

or if not, then I will disable Amon in NOD32...

thanks =)

6. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Re: NOD32 can use together with NIS 2006o_O

You can have 2 or more antivirus programs on your pc, but only have 1 resident scanner enabled, otherwise they will most likely crash your system quite fast and produce a massive amount of false/positives.

A resident scanner is the one that scans "on-the-fly". When you access files, view you email or surf the web, the resident scanner is the one protecting you.

A on-demand scanner will scan your whole pc (or your selected target areas) when you want to. No matter how good a resident scanner is, it's always a good idea to scan you whole system at least once a month.
    ---------------------------------
    About disabling NAV resident scanner completely, I can't help you there.
    But I'm sure someone else can. I haven't used it since 2002 was released, so I'm more than rusty in that area :)

7. mimijo

mimijo Registered Member

or maybe i should use Mcafee Personal Firewall Plus with NOD32o_O

My Local choice is:

NIS 2006 + NOD32? (am afraid that it will crash my system)
    Mcafee Personal Firewall Plus + NOD32? (No Ad-blocking/No Content Blocking)
    Trend Micro Internet Security + NOD32? (Never try before Trend Micro)

which one will be better for combination with NOD32 as Resident Scannero_O
    And also I need a firewall that is more "easy n simple" to use...

P.S: there are not other choices available in my country's store....

Bcos by tomorrow I will be going to town to buy either of them....

help pls....?!?

8. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

ZoneAlarm Pro would work quite well, ad/popup blocking, cookie management, easy to use, spyware capability, application control, decent firewall and no AV. Basically it's NIS without the NAV and much lighter on your system to boot.

9. mimijo

mimijo Registered Member

hi there tazdevl,

yes i have heard of Zone Alarm Pro but they don't sell it in my local store...

and yup i know that can be purchased from online but I prefer to get it from local stores in singapore...don't really have the habit of purchasing online...

anyway thanks for ur suggestion.... =)

10. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Norton Internet Security does have a custom install option where you can pick what you want to install.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.