NOD32 antivirus blocks iPod version 2.0 update

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by segalsegal, Jul 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. segalsegal

segalsegal Registered Member

If you've been trying to download the iPod software version 2.0 on Windows without success, and you have the NOD32 running, try turning it off. It fixed the problem for me.

When I tried to get the update the full 222 MB downloaded but then I got the message: "There was a problem downloading the iPod software for the iPod ...... The network connection timed out. Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active, or try again later."

iTunes listed the download as "iPod Software Update" and reported "zero KB of 222.6 MB - stopped (err = -3259)" despite having gone through the full download with the progress bar going up the full way over about 6 minutes.

I don't know if the problem is specific to NOD32 or affects antivirus programs more generally, but it does occur with NOD32.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

This most likely happens due to a large archive being scanned. When you download an archive, NOD32 decompresses its content to a temporary folder and scans each file with all options enabled (including advanced heuristics and runtime packers). As a result, it may take dozens of seconds or even minutes to scan such a large archive and the program that's been downloading the file may time out. A better solution than disabling archive scanning in the web protection will be better control over archive size.

3. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

which you have ZERO control over when you are installing a piece of software provided to you - the download for the iphone update is more than 210mb compressed - it just failed to install on my wife's phone and left the iphone in a horrible state... same update went onto my phone on my computer without a problem.. I am attempting to restore her phone using my machine.... I would hate to think that NOD32 was the cause, it is certainly possible...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.