NOD32 Antivirus 3.0 Trial Problem

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Peorth, Jun 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peorth

Peorth Registered Member

A few days ago I downloaded the NOD32 trial to test out and see if there were any compatibility issues before I buy the full version. It seems to work well for the most part but I am having an issue with the advanced configuration settings. Whenever I try to change anything under the 'ThreatSense engine parameter setup:' in any section I get the following error:

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/9782/image1rn6.jpg

image1rn6.jpg

Clicking on the 'here' button doesn't do anything. I was wondering if this was just a restriction as part of the trial or if there is something wrong with NOD32 on my computer. If I can't fully control the configuration of the program I don't plan on buying it.

Update: Apparently it won't save exclusions across computer restarts either.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

EAV cannot save its configuration due to write-limitation or not enough permission to write in the registry.

I would check the rights to the %Temp% variables , to the registry , do you have administrator rights ? Is this XP , running limited user account ?

3. Peorth

Peorth Registered Member

No I'm running as admin. I can manually write to the registry just fine using regedit, but when I try to manually change a value under the eset keys it won't let me; im assuming this is the av protecting itself.

Update: Okay trying a little trick I know I ran egui.exe with system privileges instead of administrator privileges and I don't seem to get that error so maybe it is a privilege problem, but how am I supposed to correct it? I would hope that the NOD32 installer would give the program the right privileges.

Update 2: Would it make a difference that I installed it using an account with admin rights but not THE admin account?

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

It's not normal but it must be a possibility. I would suggest making sure the below 2 entries are checked.

In the registry go to the HKLM hive and in it's Permissions\Advanced....Permissions tab

** Inherit from parent the permission entries that apply to child objects. Include these with entries explicitly defined here.

** Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects.

Permissions.JPG

5. Peorth

Peorth Registered Member

Well I changed the admin group privileges on the eset key to 'full access' on all subkeys and I am able to change the config now, but I would like to know what the privileges you have set on those subkeys is if you have successfully installed nod32. I would hope that the installer should give it the privileges it is supposed to have and I am a bit worried that by allowing this access I am disabling some sort of built in protection the program has against tampering.

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Don't worry about that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.