NOD32 and Opera Mail?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Tetra, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tetra

Tetra Registered Member

Hi everyone. Sorry if this is a stupid or trivial question, but I'm a little concerned about something that recently occured, and I'd like some opinions.

I check my email from two locations: At home on a Desktop running WinXP, protected by the latest update of NOD32 v2 - And on a Laptop at work running OSX 10.5.5 protected by Symantec (Don't ask. It's work-required and I hate it).

Anyhow, tonight something weird happened. My home computer is ever-vigilent, and hasn't found any virus to speak of as it regularly scans once a week and has all the typical monitoring processes in place. My laptop also scans once a week - But this time the laptop found a 'downloader' virus that upon closer inspection was contained in the Opera mail files. Because I use IMAP for my mail, this means that the virus was in both locations (the infected file was dated several days ago).

I deleted the file from the IMAP server, but I'm concerned that Symantec might've caught something that NOD32 let slip through. That's not something I'd ever expect! Therefore, I'm concerned that I may not have NOD32 set up to monitor my mail correctly. Can anyone provide any insight into this at all? I'd hate to get caught by a virus just because I've not ticked a radio box somewhere.

Thanks in advance!

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

NOD32 v2.70's IMON module does not scan mail transferred via the IMAP protocol for Opera. That function is provided by the EMON module, but only when using Microsoft Outlook.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. Tetra

Tetra Registered Member

Thank you for the reply! Does this mean that even an In-Depth scan from the NOD32 on-demand module will not see a virus in Opera Mail? I did an in depth-analysis after this infected message should have been in my inbox, but NOD32 didn't seem to find it.

Does this mean that Opera Mail is a way for viruses to bypass my NOD32 protection? Can they infect my system from the mail folder on my harddrive without NOD32 interveining? Or will NOD catch them if they try to launch?

I'm concerned that Opera Mail might be a huge backdoor, now! I despise Outlook, and I really hope I can keep using both Opera and NOD32. Thanks.

4. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

Hello, when file is downloaded and you want to run him, NOD32's AMON will scan this file and if malware will be found, he notices you.

If you have got undetected files, yet, send them in archive with password "infected" to samples[at]eset.sk with this thread's url in the subject.

5. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

You may also study this thread on the Opera Forum for some background info re Opera Mail and virus alerts:

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=47422

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.