Nod32 and me being disappointed...

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by huldu, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huldu

huldu Registered Member

Well ive been using nod32 for a long time and its often worked fairly well. However this is about to change. First of all i got infected last night, or i didnt but ill go into detail right now.

Even with nod32 its not uncommon i check certain files on scanning sites. What always made me a bit annoyed is that some files which are clearly viruses/trojans etc dont get spotted by nod32 but by other AV's.

Anyway im running certain stuff that lets me see exactly what certain processes are doing. I got hold of this "suspicious" file which was clean according to nod32. After reading about it was it pretty clear that it was far from clean and very bad. Point being that if i would have run it on my system it would have been infected where many other AV's would have detected it!

I am very angry right now.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Well, if you make decisions based on the results of scanning certain files you'll probably end up with changing your AV every while. It's a matter of fact that no AV is perfect and no detects 100% of all threats. What we miss can be detected by other AVs and vice-versa. There are thousands of examples where files detected by NOD32 are missed by other big players. Also you should take into account that the online scanners are not as sensitive to malware as the other modules, such as web or email protection. That said, NOD32 can protect you against malware that is otherwise undetected by the online scanners. Anyways, if you come across a suspicious file always send it in a zip/rar archive protected with the password "infected" to samples[at]eset.com and provide as much information as possible (ie. the file location, what you were doing when symptoms of infection began manifesting, etc.).

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Scanning sites such as VirusTotal , Jotti , etc , even though they may give you an idea as a power user , they don't show real detection capabilities of certain product nor they can prove a file is infected or not .

You can find really a lot examples on the net . In my everyday work I personally have recently found two cases where other products (15 , actually) on VT show a file as infected , however it is not dangerous at all . Another example I was really "shocked" long time ago , 29 showed a file as infected , NOD32 not . Believe it or not , it turned out ESET was right . Thanks to some utilities one can easily find that.

In future , you can contact ESET Technical Support (support@eset.com) or ESET Virus Lab (samples@eset.com) and submit that file/s

Really not necesary !

4. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Well Eset detection has dropped at independent testing, and your concerns should not be blown off. I would use ESS if it wasn't for their philosophy and firewall that still gives attack false positives.

If you have read it is malicious, send the file to the e-mail above, and hopefully it will be detected if so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.