NOD32 and Firefox

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Philippe_FR22, Jul 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Philippe_FR22

Philippe_FR22 Registered Member

Hello all,
    I'm currently with EAV 3.0.667. I installed firefox 3 yesterday. I used Firefox until today and I checked into advanced configuration tab - http web browsers...

Firefox 3 is not listed as others applications (internet explorer 7, etc...).

My question is why ? What is NOD32 policy regarding web browsers listing ?

Regards

Philippe

2. nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial Registered Member

I no expert in these things but in my xp nod32 667 advanced setup,web access protection,http,web browsers the firefox path is listed and can be checked.

3. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

Hello!

Philippe, have you used Firefox 2 before?

4. Philippe_FR22

No I did not install firefox 2. Firefox 3 is the first mozilla app installation...
    Regards

5. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

I tried to do this with ESS and it recognised firefox.exe as web browser and added him to list after short time. You can add him manually, if you want.

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Is your Protocol filtering set to "Ports and applications..." the default one ? If so , it should be recongnised because Firefox should be generating traffic through ports which EAV/ESS should scan with its web protection .

If "Protocol filtering" is set to "Applications marked as ..." then it is OK not to be listed , one must manually add the browsers.

If there is another reason and if Protocol filtering is set to "Ports and applications..." then again you should be OK because the traffic should be scanned in all cases. You can check with Eicar from eicar.org

7. Philippe_FR22

Yes Ports and applications is set... But no firefox in web browser list !
    Note that I will not add it to the list unless I understand exactly whu it was not listed !

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Well , I have no idea . Somehow ESS cannot accept it as a web browser or application generating http traffic . However , your other thread about Firefox (and eicar) shows that this is no security flaw because as "ports and applications" is set , Firefox3's traffic is still scanned by ESS.

You might try to reinstall ESS and Firefox3 and see if this will make a difference.

9. Philippe_FR22

Thank you for answer. I was speaking of EAV (not ESS).
    I tried to install firefox 3 with EAV 3.0.650 and result was the same.

Firefox 3 is not recognized as a web browser (either for EAV 3.0.650 or EAV 3.0.667)...

Regards

10. The Nodder

The Nodder Registered Member

FF3 was not listed in mine, all I do is simply add it in.
    No big deal.

Also, MailWasher Pro isn't listed so, again, all I do is add it in.

11. Philippe_FR22

Yes, in fact I did the same !
    I have another PC with same configuration but Firefox 2 (instead of Firefox 3). And same again : Firefox was not listed...

CONCLUSION for the post : FIREFOX is not RECOGNIZED by NOD32 as a web browser... Maybe I would suggest ESET to integrate it in new release...

Regards

12. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Actually it is "RECOGNIZED" on some setups, the question still remains why it is not being recognized on your setup and some others.

13. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I'm positive that malware would be detected even if Firefox is not listed as a web browser on your system. You can test it with eicar - it will be intercepted and blocked by the web access protection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.