NOD32 and Firefox not able to connect to 'net?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by M_S, Oct 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M_S

M_S Registered Member

I've an odd situation: I've just installed FF and NOD32 on a machine, and although IE continues to be able to access the 'net straightforwardly, neither of these two new programs can... I also installed Kerio 2.15 at the same time, but that doesn't seem to be the problem, because it makes no difference when that is switched off. Any ideas why they might not be working. The machine in running Win 98 SE2, on a network with a broadband connection - no proxy, no hardware firewall.

2. jayt

jayt Registered Member

I'm not sure that I understand your question. You say
    What do you mean that Nod32 cannot access the net? Do you mean it can not update itself? Otherwise why would it want to "access the net"?
    Anyway, I use FF and Nod32 and they are extremely compatible with each other. If you are having trouble accessing the net with FF, it is probably because you have not allowed it in your firewall (Kerio). Check the programs in Kerio and see if FF has permission to access the internet.

3. M_S

M_S Registered Member

Thanks for your response. Problem is fixed now. Yes, what I meant was NOD needed to go online to update. The solution: I had disabled Norton Internet Security (by disabling what I could and removing all start-up processes and services to try to stop the rest) because the owner of the machine was uncertain whether she wanted to get NOD, so I offered a trial. But I should have just uninstalled Norton, which is what I ended up doing anyway. And then it worked fine... I don't like Norton much! While checkingout the machine I found that whenever she went online, Norton was hogging 70-80% of resources, and that had been playing havoc with her internet access. Anyway, problem solved - NAV and NIS gone, holy NOD in place (and ZA, which I regret: wish Kerio would run on 98!).

4. jayt

jayt Registered Member

Glad you got your problem fixed. I like Kerio also, but did you know that the company is discontinuing support of the Kerio personal firewall as of the end of the year? ZA works great for me, but some people in the ZA forum have had problems with the new 6.0.667.000 release.

5. M_S

M_S Registered Member

I read about Kerio stopping awhile back on this forum. ZA is a fine firewall - I used it for years - but it is quite heavy on resources. That said, it's a bit easier to get the hang of than Kerio...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.