NOD32 A/V 3.0.669 hangs on shutdown after def. update

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Mike_Bailey, Oct 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike_Bailey

Mike_Bailey Registered Member

This is on a dual boot (XP/W2K Pro) system. Trying to change my A/V solution, I've been testing NOD32 on W2K Pro (SP4) and have found that regardless of what settings I disable in the trial version of NOD32 3.0.669 that my system will hang (totally unresponsive) after a definitions update when I try to shutdown. I have to power down using the switch. The events viewer states the profile could not be unloaded. I tried UPHClean which does not resolve the problem. This is a show stopper for me, but I want to figure out the problem so I can proceed. The system shutdown/reboot is normal if I have not allowed or done a definitions update after booting up. I have looked at a number of other A/V solutions - at least the ones that still support W2K - and none showed this particular problem.

I have a bare minimum of services running, only 16, and have no other A/V or firewall installed or running. My previous/current firewall is ZoneAlarm, of which I've tried all versions compatible under W2K and XP, up through 7.x which uses Kaspersky, which is a huge resource hog - the reason I am looking for a low resource solution like NOD32.

Machine is based on an ASUS M2N-E SLI motherboard, 4 gig of RAM, AMD 64 X2 6400, Matrox P750 Millenium graphics card.

2. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you have UPHC installed, did you exclude ekrn.exe per the instructions in the UPHC readme file?

4. Mike_Bailey

Thanks to both for the suggestions. I had updated to the 3231 definitions, which didn't seem to be the problem. However, I had installed UPHClean due to the added 60 second log-off NOD32 was causing and this in conjunction with NOD32 was what was producing the shutdown hanging after a definitions update. I added the ekrn.exe exclusion as described in the UPHClean.txt readme and that seems to have resolved the problem.

Looks like I get to buy a 3 machine license!

Thanks again.

Mike

5. Mike_Bailey

Post note: it wasn't quite that simple. After I finally got a definitions update, the computer hung on shut down. I had applied the one ekrn.exe exclusion to the USER_EXCLUSION_LIST as described in the readme.txt that came with UPHClean, but apparently more was needed. I added equi.exe to the USER_EXCLUSION_LIST and then added BOTH to the PROCESS_EXCLUSION_LIST. Then I was able to do a computer shut down without the hanging problem:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UPHClean\Parameters]

"USER_EXCLUSION_LIST"=hex(7):65,6b,72,6e,2e,65,78,65,00,65,67,75,69,2e,65,78,\
    "PROCESS_EXCLUSION_LIST"=hex(7):65,6b,72,6e,2e,65,78,65,00,65,67,75,69,2e,65,78,\

I hope this covers the problem.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.