NOD32 3 won't update

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by jonkoer, Jun 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonkoer

jonkoer Registered Member

stopped updating as of 06/25/08

Why?

NOD32's "Help" system is useless, worthless. Duh. Plus if you open help it retains focus, so user cannot do jack while help is open, it stays on top, Duh.
    STUPID. Who's designing this crap?

No update servers in list. Can't add them, because, well what is user supposed to add? Duh.

So I managed to find entries to add elsewhere, off another computer, and added them, still no go.

Get error 0x01014 now. What is it? Nothing in Help , of course. This is worse than Norton.

2. Melchi501

Melchi501 Registered Member

"This is worse than Norton."

You make my day. :D

3. jonkoer

Glad to hear it... there's got to be some joy in here somewhere.;)

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I have other software that uses chm files which stay on top as well. However, we'll reconsider this for future versions. There are some advantages of having the help file on top and, if you mind it, you can resize its window and make it smaller

There's no reason to add your own servers unless you use a local mirror created by Business Edition. Otherwise the server must remain set to "Choose automatically"

We have never run into nor have been reported this error. It means the operating system didn't return information about the size of a particular file. We cannot think of a reason for that so it'd be interesting to know if you get the same error after a computer restart. It could be that your disk is faulty or there's another serious problem with your OS causing the function we call to fail.

5. jonkoer

Resizing does not address the problem, which is not just that the help is "on top" of your main program window, but rather that it has the FOCUS, meaning that even if you resize the help window, you cannot perform any action in the NOD32 main window. o_O

You definitely should reconsider this.
    1. The user has some problem
    2. User opens Help window
    3. Help window says "Do this, then do that, then do this..."
    4. User cannot do this that or the other until he closes the help window, but then the instructions for what to do are no longer in front of him.
    5. That is why I said: "Who is designing this crap?" :eek:

Well there IS a reason to add your own servers when, as in my case, the list of servers is empty. User cannot select "Choose Automatically" because that choice is not in the list -- nor can he choose any particular server name to update from, because none are in the list. :'(

It has now been a few days ago, but if I recall correctly, I DID reboot the computer while trying to fix the problem. I will reboot it again just to be sure that rebooting does not fix the problem (but I'm not hopeful).

I received a reply from Eset tech support about this incident, which suggested that I need to Uninstall, then Reinstall NOD32.

But I am wondering - if I am going to have to reinstall NOD32, should I perhaps install v.2.7 at that time instead of 3.x, since (from looking at this forum), it does appear that there are still a significant number of problems with 3.x.

Anybody knowledgeable here who would care to give straight advice on that question (i.e., pros/cons of doing so and waiting for 3.x to stabilize)? :cool:

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

The user has a couple of choices in order to "do this that or the other" without having to close out from help.

1) They could minimize the Help window and accomplish what they wish.

or

2) They could resize the help Window and place it next to the Setup area they are working on.

Those are just two examples that allows a user to continue working without closing the Help window.

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

One my computer, the help is opened in a small window to the right of the ESS window. Though it's on top, it doesn't prevent me from doing any actions in the ESS window. As I said, we can reconsider opening the help on top of other open windows. Frankly, no one has ever complained about this until now and it has never been a problem for me either.

As for the server list, if you have created a mirror using Business Edition you can add this server manually. Otherwise "Choose automatically" should be selected. I for one can't think of a reason why this option would be missing in the drop-down menu. If it's actually missing, could you please post a screenshot of it here?

As for the error 0x01014, all we know is that it was returned by Windows when calling a Windows API function for determining the size of a file. We can only guess the reason, personally neither me, our clients nor our developers have run into it so far.

8. jonkoer

NOD32 v.3.x User Interface Blunders

NOD32 v.3.x User Interface Blunders:

Well, I have to apologize about one thing -- you are correct that it IS still possible to use the main NOD32 window while the Help is open.

I think my mistaken notion about that arose because I was also using the Help-About, and the Help-Contact Customer Care --- if either of those is open, then the main window is indeed disabled.

Also - on my system here, the Help window does not open in a small window off to the side of the main window -- it opens in a rather large window which almost entirely covers up the main NOD32 window. It is not so easy to just drag it out of the way while keeping it visible -- a lot of window resizing and moving is required to have them both visible at once side by side. And this is on a 21" CRT.

I fail to understand the design rationale in forcing the Help window to float on top of the main window. Why not let the user decide which one to bring to the top by clicking in the desired window? I'm not intractable -- if someone can give a persuasive rationale for why help-always-on-top makes good sense, I'll buy it. But I haven't heard it yet

In v.2.7 NOD32, this was not the case -- user could bring either window to the top by clicking on it. So, why the change now?

Furthermore, the 2.7 Control Center interface was VERY compact (& kudos to the intelligent person who designed that!), whereas now the Main Window comes up unnecessarily huge -- again, for no obvious good reason. Does the developer there somehow figure that he owns my screen real estate and can squander it however he sees fit?

Not only was the Control Center tiny, but it opened the modules in separate (& also small) windows, so all of it was conservative of screen space, and one could make just the module currently being used visible, if so desired.

Now, both the menu (on left) and the module (on right) appear in the same window, so user is stuck with viewing the menu whether he wants/needs it or not, while looking at a "module's" content.

The 2.7 Help window also came up smallish and off to the side of the screen (much as you describe the 3.0 Help window's opening placement on your system) - but on my system, the 3.0 Help Window comes up (on first use) very large, almost covering my entire 1600x1200 screen. Why? (I now have discovered that it seems to remember size & placement when you close help and then re-open it. Glad for that. But I don't yet know if this remembering survives a reboot (or whether it would survive turning NOD32 off and then back on).

(Which brings up another user interface blunder:) If only one COULD turn NOD32 off and back on. Like we could with 2.7. Why is there no QUIT button now, as we had in 2.7?

I could go on (and on and on...), but I'll stop for now. Looking at the many user frustrations expressed in this forum pertaining to user interface issues, the conclusion is obvious -- Eset really needs to hire me -- a bona fide Human Factors / Usability expert -- to address these issues before things go from bad to worse and NOD32 ends up being another Norton.

9. jonkoer

Re: NOD32 3 now will update after uninstall/reinstall

FYI, Eset tech support recommended that I uninstall / reinstall EAV v.3.x to try to fix the "not updating" problem. I did so, and it is now updating again.

I should be glad for that, I guess, but it leaves a number of questions unanswered, such as why it occurred and whether it will recur.

Well, at least I won't be bored while waiting to see... there are plenty of user interface issues to contemplate in the meantime....

10. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Re: NOD32 v.3.x User Interface Blunders

:D

There is still too much room between Norton and NOD32 . It will be at least 3069 if NOD32 ends being a Norton clone

It was already answered:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.