NOD32 2.5 - Comments & opinions

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 v3 Beta Forum' started by Marcos, Mar 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

Hmmm,
    I was having some trouble with gaim connecting to MSN, the normal messenger client could connect without any issues at all.
    However shortly after I got ethereal out to watch the traffic it suddenly started working again (~5hrs ago)

I hadn't changed any IMON settings between when it was not working and when it started again. I did however exit ZA Pro shortly before it started working again so that might have been the cause of interference

Interestingly I don't see gaim.exe in the IMON program list, it doesn't help that the columns don't allow you to click on them to sort the lists, that would be a good thing to add in to conform with one of the now expected UI capabilities

2. pepito

pepito Registered Member

Re: Settings for Max Protection

FWIW I agree with this.

3. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

quick question, do you need 'emon' if you have just
    outlook express 6 ? thanks

4. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

No, EMON works only with Outlook. AMON or IMON would catch malware in OE. Be sure to check the email checking option in the IMON control panel btw.

5. ghassan

ghassan Registered Member

Hi,

I had problem loosing my connection, I have Netgear wireless router,
    unloading IMON did not help, changing the setting for AMON did not help.

I had to go back to my original version and every thing is OK.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If it's true that IMON and AMON were completely unloaded (indicated by a grey icon) than there's no chance NOD32 would have any side effect on the system whatsover.

7. ghassan

ghassan Registered Member

IMON was completely unloaded, I changed AMON to scan only predefined exetensions. the problem with the connection resolved only after I uninstalled NOD32 beta.
    I am not an expert in computers , but I tried my best, I tried to uninstall all my security applcations to see if any one of them caused the problem.
    I am not sure of what happened, but I feel good that things are OK now
    and I stil a NOD admirer

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

the one thing i dont like about that is when using custom settings (as with KAV). (KAV) changes the icon in the settings page from a green check to a yellow triangle. This makes it seems as if my custom settings arent as secure as the presets.

9. spm

spm Registered Member

This has nothing to do with KAV, so this is a red herring. No-one has suggested that NOD32 considers custom settings an undesirable situation, just to provide a simple way to set overall protection levels. I have simply made a suggestion for Eset to counter the biggest valid criticism that keeps many people away from using NOD32.

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Beta 2.5 is running better than 2.12.3 on my XP Home, SP2 machine with no known problems.

11. fosius

fosius Registered Member

hi,

my nod32 doesnt show any "buble" information when it is updated, and when it finds virus in Auto-run registry section it doesnt show any information... where is problem? I have enabled BUBLE message in windows registry..

12. SSK

SSK Registered Member

I agree with you, Ron.
    Just bought NOD32 a couple of days ago (I'm running KAV 4.5 on demand and Nod on access :D ) but after running current version 2, beta version 2.5 is/feels faster, even with Blackspear's settings.

Only thing that bothers me is settings under limited user account. I use a limited account for all normal surfing/email etc, but when setting options in the on-demand GUI do not "stick". I send a question to ESET, I hope that it is possible one way or another... :D

(Sorry for the rambling post, had a long day cramming for upcoming exams, can't even write coherent in my native language, let alone English :eek: )

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

That's a good find SSK. I'm sure they will work on that one.

14. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Tried to start the Control Center under admin (run as...), but then only the Personal Folders for the Admin account show up, not the local account folders.
    Hmmm, hope they change it!

15. Phil_S

Phil_S Registered Member

Log in as an adminstrator, set the options you want and save them under the relevant profile "Scanning objects from the context menu" or whatever.

The changes will apply systemwide to all users.

Surely that's how it should be on a multiuser OS with varying account priveledge levels?

16. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Should be, yes. And for the profiles it works that way.
    But setting local folders under Folders and files in the On-Demand (Manual) Scanner does not work when using a limited user account.

17. mystp

mystp Guest

Originally Posted by spm
    [snip]

I implore Eset, therefore, to offer a simple, single-option, way to select from among two or three 'overall protection levels' (incl, say, minimal, default and maximum protection levels) both at install time and via the NOD32 GUI.

I have no doubt this would greatly assist a large number of users, and also add to Eset's bottom line.

I definitely second that. As I see it, Eset should most certainly add some sort of option to easily set NOD32 protection levels, if at all possible. In my view, it would be a really simple way of pleasing a lot of users and giving them improved security, obviously.

I've installed NOD32 on quite a few machines now, and have spent a litte time with each installation implementing Blackspear's extra protection settings.
    I really don't see why less tech-savy users - or users who don't happen to stumble across Wilder's and/or Blackspears settings - should not be given the benefit of the increased protection.

After all, this isn't a question of adding new features - merely making the existing settings for added security more accessible. This would befit everyone - from experienced users having to do numerous NOD32 installations to average users who just want to ensure that their system is protected in the best way possible.

So please Eset, consider adding an easy way of setting overall protection levels, as SPM is suggesting.

- Asbjoern

18. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hi Mystp,
    It seems that you haven't installed the beta 2.50 yet. With the beta, there's probably no need to tweak it anyhow except that you would like NOD not to pop up alert windows.
    An option for choosing from more protection levels will most likely be implemented in NOD32 3.0 (again, please don't ask for any dates).

19. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

That applies especially to honeybunney - marcos forgot to say this :D

20. honeybunny

honeybunny Suspended Member

@Happy Bytes

How funny ! :D

That's not really fair. :'(

21. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

Will the 64 bit version be called NOD64? :D

22. MAL1

MAL1 Guest

Adding different levels of security like said in previous posts, something in the likes of minimal, default and maximum would be an excellent idea as the more novice user could still get maximum protection with minimal effort.

Also I noticed that at installation even though I chose not to install emon, it still comes up in the modules list even though its disabled, seeing how I chose to not install it period I would've liked to have it disappear. Also as mentionned in previous posts it would be great to merge dmon with imon or amon as an option, do we really need a seperate module just to scan .doc?

All in all great product and very satisfied with the heuristics nothing I like more then seeing (this is a possible new variant of blah blah virus) :p It just warms me up inside :)

Alot of people are saying their cpu is going up and memory use is a little higher.. now does 2mb REALLY make a difference? Either your av protects you or your av just sits there looking pretty and using 1k of memory. You can pick.

23. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

if amon and dmon are seperate, then each can scan a seperate file at the same time. otherwise a combined amon/dmon would scan the office files first then switch back to scanning the main hd. is this correct so far? n does an AV like avast use more resources because it can scan so many diff. areas of a pc at once?

24. spm

spm Registered Member

I have installed the 2.5 beta on one machine, and I see nothing to support this. Who says there's no need to tweak settings?

To hear that an oft requested feature may or may not be implemeted in some as-yet unscheduled future version is not exactly reassuring. You, of course, always have the choice to listen to your customers or not.

25. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

There is less tweaking with the new Beta, however there is still the need for tweaking as far as I am concerned ;) :D

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.