Nod or antivir

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Oleg, Jul 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

From the Eset website;
    Most AV programs to-day cannot simply concentrate on one malware threat. Corporate customers, in particular now demand protection from multiple threats.

Further, NOD's trojan detection has improved greatly in the last 6-12 months and appears to be on par now with some well-known trojan slayers such as Dr Web.

Overall most AV programs, to stay competitive in the market place, are now pumping up their trojan/backdoor/spyware/riskware detection.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

that is noted but as malware continues to evolve and multiply, many AV companies are now improving their products scanning abilities in other areas. neways for me, it seems that many AV caught the first example so maybe eset doesnt consider it worthy to be put in their defs? as for the second one, it seems rather new since only two AV caught it, should be submitted to eset. and lastly these jotti scans dont fully utilize an AVs option and capabilities and shouldnt be used to point out an AVs weak or strong points. no AV is perfect. period. if u dont like the fact that nod32 can sometimes miss a virus, then switch to an AV that u prefer. one thing to know tho is that perhaps on a windows machine with blackspears setting, nod32 couldve caught both trojans.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2005
  3. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

I am fully conversant with Nod32's abilities, your advice to switch to an av of my preference seems misplaced and I would ask you to keep your opinions on my choice to yourself, with respect, this time. I would yet again state that if you want Trojan's detected then buy a trojan detector, as I stated, Nod32 is an antivirus, despite its website claims it is just that, an Antivirus.

4. WSFuser

dont get me wrong, i use nod32 myself and i am quite happy with it. i guess my comments shouldve been directed at firefighter instead.

5. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

No problem, our friend Firefighter is a great asset to Wilders and without his input I fear we would have little to discuss:)
    My own choice of Nod32 is based on over 10 years of involvement in this field in an ongoing basis, so I am more than happy with my choice (based on detection, and resource useage)

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Re: antivir

No there is no shadow about it. There is just no doubt ;)

7. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Re: antivir

Just about any AV can miss trojans that are packed differently, or whatever, the strong memory scanning is what any AT has above any AV. NOD32 does have good trojan detection, but I don't think there's any AV that will have the same capabilities as an AT when it comes to memory scanning. The important aspect to that is that a real memory scanner will pick things up no matter what the trojan uses to slip by file scanning. That said, I've not had any problems with NOD32's trojan detection, it's still quite a bit ahead of most AVs. For dedicated trojan detection, however, I do have Ewido resident and TDS-3 for on-demand and system analysis on my machine, BOClean on other machines in the house, with Ewido free for on-demand. If you're worried about trojans, specifically, there's definitely no substitute for an AT, and with the freebies there's really no reason not to get them (at least for on-demand scanning), just as you would with an anti-spyware scanner.

8. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

That's a pretty apologetic thing to say when there not that many that viruses around (hasn't been for a while) compared to trojans/worms. So Eset/Nod is wrong, you are right, they must be since you are fully conversant with Nod32's abilities...............

Last edited: Jul 8, 2005
  9. waters

waters Registered Member

False advertising on eset part if even if fans are saying its an antivirus scanner,and to get a trojan scanner

10. WSFuser

afaik, they advertise nod32 as an antivirus but they also say it protects against worms and trojans. nowadays antiviruses dont just protect against viruses. their database/protection would be too limited. but what should we call these new generation of AV? anti-malware?

11. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Yes or Anti-Threat... ;)

12. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

NOD is still below 90% on trojan detection (NOD is 84%)whereas KAV, NAV,are well over 90. NOD also needs to really improve script protection. It's all in the link you provided.

13. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Don't know what to call it :doubt: . But you are correct AV's are getting better and better at catching all kinds of stuff. The public demands it. PSC admits it too (producers of BoClean). ;)

14. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

In the past I would, and indeed have agreed with you on this point, now however I do not and can not. The most prevalent infections breaking are Trojans, not viruses (I saw the statistics a while ago). Nod32 is advancing rapidly in the detection of Trojan's and especially with its heuristic ability to catch day zero outbreaks.

Today I would consider Nod32 and at least the majors to be Anti-virus and Trojan Detectors, none of these companies have an excuse anymore, the public do not differentiate between a Trojan and a Virus, and each company has had to keep pace or lose its customer base.

Todays customer is very fickle, keep me protected or I will spend elsewhere.

Cheers :D

15. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Still not submitted any sample to any av-vendor. Now the situation with this is like that. (Before, look at post 10. in here.)

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Attached Files:

16. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

Hi Firefighter,

I am not sure what your post has to do with the topic? All AVs miss a lot on Jotti's site.

Last file scanned at least one scanner reported something about: a variant of Win32/TrojanDownloader.IstBar in iinstall.exe, detected by:

Scanner Malware name
    AntiVir X
    ArcaVir X
    Avast X
    AVG Antivirus X
    BitDefender X
    ClamAV Trojan.Downloader.Istbar-145
    Dr.Web Trojan.DownLoader.3316
    F-Prot Antivirus X
    Fortinet Adware/IstBar
    Kaspersky Anti-Virus X
    NOD32 a variant of Win32/TrojanDownloader.IstBar
    Norman Virus Control X
    UNA X
    VBA32 X

17. Firefighter

Maybe I have to start a new thread. "How fast av-vendors really are updating those brand new trojan like defs"? I picked up my samples by downloading those cracks that were connected with those most downloaded aps and was very disappointed to almost every AV/AT proggie.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2005
  18. WSFuser

which trojans were those? are u submitting them?

19. Firefighter

That just before mentioned for example. But there were many other too. I don't want to submit them yet, until I know how fast they are really added to the "best" scanners defs.

Just check out these cracks what proggies those kids are using in video/music and downloading/playing situationtions, and you'll surprised.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.