NOD disappearing

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by davros, Jan 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davros

davros Registered Member

Hello All,

Hopefully this has not been posted before, I have tried searching. I have been using NOD now for about 6 - 7 weeks, and am very happy, previously a die-hard NAV/NIS user (NIS is still on the server computer). Over the last few days I noticed that the NOD icon was not in the SYSTEM TRAY where I expected it to be. I fired up NOD from the ALL PROGRAMS entry and it seemed up-to-date with the virus definitions and seemed to be doing the background scanning.

I have NOD set up to do a scan on the HDs at 1830 daily. Though I am usually with carers (I am a wheelchair user) I know it has run as it keeps detecting one of ZoneAlarm's components as a threat, which it has not been doing, I also did not see the virus definition update messages you usually see. ZAP has also disappeared, but on testing the SHIELDS UP on the CRC site it appears that I am still stealthed; so either ZAP is active or the hardware firewall/router is actually doing its job. <grin>

Is there a way of me testing whether NOD is active? I am not opposed to reinstalling, but do not want to if it is not necessary.

2. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Various issues can prevent the tray icon from showing. If you want to tell if the NOD32 Kernel service is doing it's job, try using EICAR.COM - one of the Anti-Virus test files and see what happens.
    HTH :)

3. davros

davros Registered Member

Hello NOD32 user, thanks for that I should have thought about that.

4. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Sometimes (not all the time) it disappears from me too.
    I just open control center from the start menu and it's back in the tray.

Not really sure why it does that though.

5. davros

davros Registered Member

Well I finally got around to REBOOTing the machine this morning (I had tested NOD32 with EICAR last night, after manually loading it, and of course it spotted it straight off) but when I put the mouse over the EICAR file nothing happened from NOD32 (though ZoneAlarm Security Suite spotted it), I then manually loaded NOD32 and had another go, of course it spotted it straight off. This leads me to think that NOD32 is not being run on START-UP.

A few days ago I did install Webroots's Spy Sweeper and told it not to include two entries in the START-UP sequence as I did not recognize them, so this could be (possibly is) user-error. <grin> I have had a look through the NOD Control centre options, as well as the ESET FAQ's, but cannot see a setting for getting it to load at START-UP. Is is it a simple job of just putting a SHORTCUT to NOD32 CONTROL CENTRE in the START-UP directory (folder), or is it going to be a reinstallation of NOD32?

6. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Probably a download of the latest version of NOD, a uninstall, reboot, removal of the remaining ESET folder and then an install of the newly downloaded version is the best option. (Please allow ALL NOD related startup keys by SpySweeper :))

7. davros

davros Registered Member

OK, thanks, I will do that. As for the keys being allowed it will be easier as Spy Sweeper is already on, so will be fairly obvious that any new START-UP entries will belong to NOD32. The problem arose due to Spy Sweeper checking the START-UP directory (folder), asking me, and the entries NOT obviously belonging to NOD32.

Thanks for your reply.

8. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Yep, well my experience is that SpySweeper can take its time before asking if these entries should be allowed or not :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.