NOD crashes on Windows XP Pro

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Howser, Aug 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howser

Howser Registered Member

Hello.

NOD32 makes Generic Host Process crash right after boot on a machine running WinXP Pro, and it makes it to reboot since RPC has encountered a failure. And no, it is not infected by Blaster. :cool:

The system has a fairly new installation of the operating system and is working fine until NOD is installed, other antivirus software runs without a problem.

Any ideas? o_O

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I've installed Nod32 on hundreds of XP machines, never seen it crash one yet...

What other software programs are you running?

Are you trying to run 2 anti-virus programs at the same time?

3. Howser

Howser Registered Member

Nope, no antivirus besides NOD is installed and other programs that are installed are pretty much the same as on other computers that run NOD flawlessly... :doubt:

4. Blackspear

Try an uninstall of Nod, remove the Eset directory from C\Program Files, do a registry clean, and then reinstall Nod32 V2.0 with a fresh download.

Also make sure there are NO traces of any other Anti-virus programs when doing a registry clean...

Hope this helps.

Cheers :D

5. Howser

Howser Registered Member

Have tried it already, no luck so far though... :'(

6. Scytale

Scytale Guest

If you have any programs/utilities running at startup, set them all not to run and reboot to see if it helps. Nod isn't friendly to one of the utilities my computer runs at startup. It hard freezes the system whenever it's is run. It's not a solution, but at least you might be able to find out what it's conflicting with...

7. Howser

Howser Registered Member

And what utility is that?

8. Blackspear

Can you post a screen shot of the programs you have installed.

9. Scytale

Scytale Guest

MyIRC. I posted a thread about it yesterday, when my computer was freezing, if you want some more info on it ( title: NOD + WinXP = system freeze )...

10. Howser

Howser Registered Member

I have now gotten it to work by installing NOD with as many features as possible deactivated and no autostarting programs and then reactivating a few features and autostarting programs at a time until everything was like before.

Unfortunately I still don't know what caused the problems in the first place...

11. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hi,
    I recommend that you download and install the appropriate security patch fixing the bug in RPC available at

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp

(applicable for Windows NT/2000/XP/2003)

This bug is exploited by the Lovson as well as Nachi worm.

As an interim solution, you can go to the Control Panel, Administartive tools, Services, double-click the RPC service and in the Recovery tab change all three actions to Restart service instead of Restart computer. After the patch has been applied it is highly recommended that you revert these values to defaults.

URL tags added to the link - paul

12. Howser

Howser Registered Member

Thanks but my system is always updated, I check WinUpdate on a daily basis. :cool:

13. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

Could you start excluding some of the programms you run on startup??

Ruben

14. Howser

Howser Registered Member

For clarification, everything works right now even with all autostarting programs and services enabled, I just had to enable them a few at a time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.