NOD and Win98SE question?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by martindijk, Aug 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martindijk

martindijk Registered Member

Hi all,

At my work now iam fiddling with a combined total of 48 workstations and the cuurrent AV licence is due to renew.

Now is it my choise to consider moving on with Symanec ( which i will absolutely not), so ofcourse NOD comes to my mind, but having no experience with NOD and Win98SE (at home i use ME), i would like to know how NOD is now behaving on Win98SE.

Any comment is welcome (both possitive and hope as little as much negative :D), for my wish is to purchase NOD for all these workstations, so i can be a happy camper both at home and at work ;)

rgds,
    Martin

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Martin,

Drop me an email at webmaster@wilders.org with the contents from your post ;)

regards.

paul

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hi, again, Martin. Yeah, I have Win98se, with IE6. You may remember that I do have a problem with that Invalid Page Fault freezing up my system. But by using NOD with the IMON turned off, I can avoid that problem. I've been using NOD with IMON turned off for about two weeks now without a single error message. You may also remember that Buster was having the same problem with a bunch of pcs, all of them were running Win98. Unlike me, however, he was getting the error all the time, even when he disabled IMON. Jan is trying to help him and I, too, am looking forward to the day that I can use NOD with the IMON. Good luck.

Acadia.

4. FireDancer

FireDancer Registered Member

Hi Martin,

I have been running NOD32v2 for a while now on Win98SE flawlessly AMON and IMON are working
    well. I truely belive that NOD32 is the best AV out and
    it is not hard at all on resources. Hope this helps a bit

Regards,
    FireDancer ;)

5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

NOD32 runs better on my W98SE than any other av and I have tried just about all of them recently except for Kaspersky which I know would be too powerful for my older box. Having said this though, I guess I should point out that I did not install IMON. I didn't do this because of known issues with it in W98SE as I didn't know until I read this thread now that there are issues. I didn't install IMON because it is not needed.

NOD32 does use a bit more resources than does PCC 2003 or McAfee. You MUST turn off Windows graphics if using NOD32 version 2 on a W98 box otherwise you will have a huge drain of resources. With Windows graphics off (and you don't need that on anyhow) the resource use is about 4% more than with version 1. Still very acceptable...of course, again, I am not running IMON. I might find NOD32 unacceptable on W98 if I was running IMON.

Nod scans very fast on W98 compared to other av. Still though it is TWICE as slow as version 1. Version 1 should be allowed for W98 users I think as it runs better on these boxes than does the current version. I ran the POP 3 scanner when I had version one and even with it running version 1 used less resources and was MUCH MUCH faster than is version 2 without IMON. Still, NOD32 is known for its blazing speed so even though it is far slower in version 2 on W98 boxes it is still much faster than any other av. :)

6. don evans

don evans Guest

Hello, Martin

I've run W98 SE for about 2 years and recently switched to NOD32 v2. I 've used a few of the other heavy hitters in the AV arena. They all worked nicely. :)
    Long story short?
    NOD32 v2 is the quickest scanner, is easy to configure,
    extremely thorough, easiest to update, uses fewer resources, and is just the best user friendly app of the Big 3 that I have used.
    I run Office 2000 with a Netgear router and I will never need any other AV.
    To be fair, I would like to see an easier method of accessing specifically flagged items from the scanner logs. What I lack in technical expertise is more than compensated for in this app.
    I recommend it highly. :D
    Nom de plume, Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.