Nod and file last accessed stamp?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Jaska, Nov 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaska

Jaska Registered Member

I have been trialling Ultimate defrag -program, which can move unused files to harddisk areas that are the slowest. This optimisation depends on the time stamp windows has when the file was last accessed. But it seems that Nod32 scans alter this date to current date and the defragger doesn't work properly. Is there any way to change this behaviour in Nod? I would not like to disable the scheduled scand for this reason. o_O

2. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

perfectdisk from raxco is what I use - it doesn't seem to have problems with nod32 at all.

3. Jaska

Jaska Registered Member

Perfectdisk and Ultimate defragger work a slightly different way. I think PD uses it's own background service to log file usage and UD relies on Windows own last acccessed data. So it does not need to have any programs or services running on the background. It even uses Windows own scheduler for scheduled defrags. That's why Nod32 disturbs it's job.

4. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

A bit off-topic, and maybe I don't know much about this, but wouldn't it be better for a defragmentation program to look at the "Modified" time stamp instead of "Accessed" (does accessing a file cause fragmentation?)?

Anyway, back on track, I tried a scan on my pc and it still shows same time stamp on file after scanning it as before I scanned it. I'm using the new 2.7 (Release Candidate). Not sure if that makes a difference?

EDIT: I haven't set my NOD32 to scan in Alternative NTFS Streams, if that makes any difference?

5. Jaska

Jaska Registered Member

Accessed files are not fragmented, UD only moves files that are rarely used "out of the way" to the inner and slower areas of the drive. So the often needed files lie near ech other and drive head movement is reduced and data reading speed in increased.

And maybe you can have a point, now it seems that also a freeware search-tool Locate32 is causing this "stamping"...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.