NOD 5.0.94.0 hour and forty minutes scanning time??

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by acillatem, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Just to make sure, this you enable logging of all scanned objects in the profile that was used for the scan? Did you look at the right on-demand scanner log?

2. acillatem

acillatem Registered Member

Yes and yes. :)

3. acillatem

O.k. I went out for awhile, and started a scan before I left, and enabled scanning of all objects before I did, and when I came back it was at 99%, and had already been scanning over 2 hours. It was logging everything it was scanning. I paused it to check the log, and when I clicked 'resume" it just stayed in a frozen state, and it said "waiting for scan to resume" I left it alone, but it didn't move, so after a few minutes, I tried to just close the program, and got the Windows message that NOD32 wasn't responding. Does anyone have any idea what the hell is going on?

4. acillatem

I ran that memtest86. I'm assuming everything is o.k.. I ran it for 30 minutes.....don't really know how long one is supposed to run it. Never heard of this test before today, but from what I can tell, everything is o.k.

Attached Files:

5. gugarci

gugarci Registered Member

The longer you run memtest the better. I like to let it run over night.

On Eset here's my take. No 2 PC's are ever the same. Obviously there's something in your system, hardware or software related, that is causing Eset not to work well. When this has happened to me in the past and I can't solve the problem in a timely manner I move on.

There are others good AV that you can try. Uninstall Eset for now and try a couple of other AV. At least you have choices since Eset is not the only AV in the market. If you don't like the other AV you can always install Eset again.

6. acillatem

Thanks for the input!

I'll try running memtest overnight tonight, just for the heck of it.

I've used Eset for a while now, and not long ago, like I said, the scan time wasn't an issue. I'm going to try version 4 again today, just for the heck of it. If not, then I may try some other AV programs to see if they are any faster.

7. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I have had memory fail consistently on MemTest86, but only after eight passes, so it is a good idea to run it overnight.

One thing that might be a contributing factor is disk fragmentation. Hard to say if that's the case, of course, but do you regularly defragment the hard disk drive?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

8. acillatem

I did defragment it the other day, so some of these long scans are definitely after it was defragmented. I'll try and run memtest overnight tonight.

9. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hi acillatem.

I am just wondering (though not that is should matter), but is it a long time since you did a fresh install of your OS? If I remember correctly you said that your PC is quite old and making a fresh install on older systems usually makes them noticeably faster. I do a format once a year to keep my system as slim and fast as possible because it's a PC from 2003.

Now I am not saying that doing this will solve the issue, but it's always worth a try on older PC. Just FYI :)

10. acillatem

I haven't done that in a long time, and I'n not real willing to, at this point. I need a new computer, but with this economy, holding off on that for a while. I'll keep it in mind though.

11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I see no problems ;)

I also need a new one BADLY. And the reason that I haven't bought a new one is that I am going to switch to a Mac. (sooner or later, when depends on Apple ;) )

Also you are talking about trying out another AV if the ESET On-demand scan time issue doesn't get solved.
    By doing that you may get faster on-demand scan times, but you may also get a slower PC because the real-time resource usage are higher.
    (ESET is one of, if not the fastest I have ever tried)

And I just wanted to let you know since the only product that is similar in Real-time resource usage is Webroot SecureAnywhere (based on Prevx 4) wich is a fully cloud-based solution.

Why I am saying this is that I really doubt that you will get a faster PC by switching to a new AV. But the choice is yours of course :)

12. acillatem

Well, I have always liked ESET because I hardly ever knew it was there, until recently, after installing version 5, and the hour and forty minute scan. Then version 4 did the same thing when I tried it again. As crazy as it may sound, I'd rather find out my RAM is failing, or something easy to fix like that, and I will continue to use ESET.

13. Marcos

It may take hours to complete a scan if there are many large archives (e.g. several ISO images with thousands of files inside that are several GB in size) and it's pretty normal. Of coures, other AV programs that do not support certain archives you have on the disk and that are internally scanned by ESET would finish scans much faster because of that.
    Try excluding the following extensions from scanning just for a test: ISO, RAR, ZIP. Alternatively you can limit the size of scanned objects to, let's say, 50 MB.

14. acillatem

I already explained that I don't have a bunch of ISO files or ZIP/RAR files, and I removed a bunch of stuff from the HDD already, and it didn't make a bit of difference. Like I said, not too long ago, my scans were in the 45 minute(give or take) neighborhood.

15. SweX

SweX Registered Member

We hear ya ;)

Well it's hard for me to figure out why the scan times have increased so much just like that.

Since it wasn't that long ago that the scan times were normal as you say.
    Is it possible for you to try a system restore and then make a scan to see if it goes faster. Or have you tried that already?
    More info: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

16. acillatem

I tried that already.
    It's weird, I just did a full system scan with version 5 again, and this time it took an hour and 17 minutes, which is a little bit of an improvement. I started the scan and walked away, nothing else running, no web browsing, etc. I came back to check it, and it was at 96%. I brought it to the foreground in a new window just to check it out, then closed it again, and a few seconds later it said scan completed successfully. Seemed kind of weird, since normally it goes all the way to 99%, and stays there a while before completing. Here is my scan log, just for the heck of it. Maybe someone will see something odd, I don't know.

I did try Avira Antivir premium yesterday, and it had some AVGuard.exe in the system processes that REALLY slowed my computer down. That was enough for me. Like I said, I have been happy with NOD32 and that it is relatively "out of sight, out of mind". It does seem like possibly a memory thing, as it seems like it's just struggling, but that is just my guess.

When I was reading some comments on some site, about memtest, one person said his memory wasn't failing, according to the test, but somehow it led him to discover that his processor fan was failing, and so when the computer was under some strain, the processor would overheat......something to that affect. Can't help wonder if I have something strange like that going on. I will run memtest overnight first though. It would be too east, and not very expensive to simply replace one or both memory sticks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  17. acillatem

I let memtest run overnight last night, and it still looks like it found no problems, unless I'm missing something. It ran over 7 hours, not sure if an even longer test is needed to rule out a memory issue.

18. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

how many passes does it show it made on some systems its taken 8-10 passes before i had ram show errors.

19. Marcos

Perhaps logging file operations with Process Monitor while a scan seems to stall at a particular point would shed more light. Try creating such a log and supply me with the download link.

20. acillatem

Oh I meant to post a screenshot. Here it is right here. Looks like it did 9 passes.

Attached Files:

21. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi acillatem

OS Win7 Ux64, NOD32 5.0.94.0
    My last scan on my System with both archives and self extracting archives checked, >Nearly 1½ Million files.

Scan Log
    Version of virus signature database: 6616 (20111109)
    Date: 09/11/2011 Time: 22:38:25
    Scanned disks, folders and files: Operating memory;C:\Boot sector; D:\Boot sector;C:\; D:\
    Number of scanned objects: 1467003
    Number of threats found: 0
    Time of completion: 21:39:52 Total scanning time: 3687 sec (01:01:27)

Notes:
    [4] Object cannot be opened. It may be in use by another application or operating system.

Take Care
    TheQuest :cool:

PS: The :D is how Partition D shown as a text document copy, not me inserting a Smilie.

PPS: Thank you ronjor adding the spaces. :thumb:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  22. rcdailey

rcdailey Registered Member

With scanning of archives and self-extracting archives enabled, that doesn't seem like a bad total time for the number of files. It's just barely over an hour.

23. Marcos

In the advanced post editor you can tick the box "Disable smilies in text" to prevent the text from being converted to smilies :)

24. TheQuest

Hi Marcos
    Thank you for your reply.

The problem was from what I see that the edit ronjor done was not having a space between ; and D:\ on partition D:\. [which caused =:D] :eek: , :D.

Take Care

25. TheQuest

Hi rcdailey
    I agree with you. :)

I was trying to show that NOD32 5.0.94.0 was not to blame for the slow scan time on acillatem system.

Take Care

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.