NOD 32 & Virtual Machiines

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Woody777, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

Apparently the licensing terms of NOD32 states that there can only be 1 functioning OS kernal per instance of functioning NOD 32. That being the case, this proviso would seem to negate the use of NOD32 on Computers that have NOD32 functioning as the main AV on the Host machine without the purchase of additional licenses. Since I am a retired Senior Citizen that would to me eliminate the use of NOD 32 in a VM for testing unless I purchase multiple licenses something I cannot do. Please correct me if I am wrong but it would seem to me that since I do Have the original FDISR I could make a snapshot with another AV & then install NOD32 in a VM or several VMS with no problem since I cannot run more than one VM anyway. This seems to me an insane proceedure but it would most likely meet the licensing terms. If indeed this is the case is there a recommendation for a robust free AV that would protect my computer while I am using NOD32 in a VM.

2. CarlB

CarlB Former Eset Employee

I would say that if you are only running one VM, and you are hosting that one VM on your one PC, you would be fine with one license.

Technically, that may not be 'the letter of the law' with the license agreement, but I think your situation is pretty clear. It doesn't sound like you're in a multi-VM hosted / terminal services sort of environment where you're just trying to cheese your way around buying the appropriate licenses. If you're just nesting one VM on your machine for testing, that seems like a 1-license situation to me.
    :isay:

3. Webby

Webby Registered Member

4. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

Thanks for the info. That should clear it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.