NOD 32 slowing my machine to a crawl

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Oct 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I'm having several issues that I believe to be caused by NOD 32.

1. It takes forever to copy or delete files from the desktop or any other directory.
    2. It takes forever for the start menu to load. The icons in the start menu are little blank white squares which slowly load to the way they are suppose to look. I have to wait for them to finish loading before being able to access them.
    3. Also when i open any folder with almost any type of file it shows the files as little blank white squares. The files then load very slowly to the way they are suppose to look. I'm not able to access them until they finish loading.

If I disable the real time file system protection all the problems I listed go away.

I have advanced hueristics on file execution unchecked as shown in the pic below. I have advanced hueristics on execution of files from removable media checked because I use flash drives, and mass storage devices everyday so I don't want to disable this feature. Is their any more settings that could be causing my machine to run at a crawl?

The pic below was taken after waiting for approximately 15 seconds, and the files still had not finished loading.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  2. vtol

vtol Registered Member

OS is WIN7 32bit/64bit? how much RAM - hybrid shared with graphic processor, what is the processor, RPM of the hard drive?

Did you just install NOD? Or did it run before and the issue just started? your signature indicates various real time protection, are they really all installed and running simultaneously - from the task bar notification icons shown above it looks like?

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2229

you may want to check also those settings

30-10-2010 02-19-55.png

3. Cutting_Edgetech

Thank you for the reply vtol!
    Prevx and Online armor are the only other realtime security apps installed on this machine. My sig is only a listing of my favorite security apps. I don't have them all on the same machine. I have 4 desktops, and a laptop. I'm running Windows 7 64 Ultimate Icore 7 930 2.8ghz, and 8gbs of DDR3 on this machine. I just installed NOD 32 on this machine yesterday, and that's when i first noticed the problem. I had Avira Premium installed on this machine with no problems. I was already aware of the setting you highlighted on your post. Thanks for taking the time to post the images anyways. I thought maybe there was something else I was overlooking. NOD 32 is also using the same amount of memory that Eset Smart Security is using on one of my other machines. NOD 32 is using 3 times the memory as V2.7 did on my machine about 3 or 4 years ago though i have been aware of this for a long time.

Attached Files:

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The question is now whether the slowdown occurs with the settings pointed out by vtol disabled. They are used on file access so it may slow down system performance if you enable them. This all depends on the type of files you have; large or packed/crypted PE files may take time to get analyzed by advanced heuristics, hence a warning is displayed when one attempts to enable either Advanced heuristics or Runtime packers on access (v2 didn't support these options). What may also cause a difference when opening a folder is, to my best knowledge, that Windows 7 opens files for writing which invokes a scan by advanced heuristics or unpacking runtime archives.

5. Cutting_Edgetech

I'm not sure why, but the problem worked itself out. I do have advanced Heuristics enabled, but not scanning of runtime packers. If i can get away with it i would prefer to keep advanced heuristics enabled for the added security. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.