NOD 32 locking up during on demand scans

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by mudlite, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mudlite

mudlite Registered Member

I recently installed NOD32 and got rid of all of the old norton files. I tried to run an on demand scan and two thirds of the way through the computer and program froze. I have been going through this for 2 days but the scheduled scans seem to work but i dont know if they are succesful because they are scheduled for 3am when im in bed. the scan freeze on the exact same file which i removed but still froze on another file about the same way throug the scan. Its now freezing on a nero program file. Anyone know the problem and a fix for this?

Also im new to these forums to hello toeveryone and thanks in advance for help

2. mudlite

i forgot to say im running version 2.5 and am using windows xp professional

3. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I'd run CCleaner
    Then run a checkdisk
    Then a defrag in safe mode.
    Then try running a scan in safe mode.

4. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Another possibility: It could be a hardware problem.

We had a similar issue with one of our computers. Actually, what would happen to us is that the scheduled scans would just quit in the middle, and the scanner log would be stuck at "Cleaning". Rebooting the computer would release the log, so we could better look at it.

I noticed that the scan *seemed* to stop at the same place, but I also realized that I was looking at error and warning messages. In order for the file to show up, the scan must have already passed that file. Therefore, the scan must have actually died sometime afterwards. I added the option to list all the files scanned (/list+ if you are using the command line). Lo and behold, it turns out that the scans were actually dying at different places.

To me, this behavior seemed reminiscent of a Prime95 stress test failure. (Prime95 is a program used by mathematicians to look for prime numbers, but it is often used as a way to test a computer's stability.) On a hunch, I started monitoring the computer's temperatures and voltages while running the on-demand scan. The temperatures seemed OK, but the CPU voltage was a tad low. I raised the CPU voltage setting on the motherboard just a little bit, and the scan seems to be working now.

Since I made this change just a couple of days ago, it is still too early for me to tell for sure if this fixes the problem, or if it was just a coincidence. Nevertheless, I just wanted to point out that the problem could be something besides the NOD32 software.

5. mudlite

I tried the defrag in safe mode and the scan and had the same problem.

algove, i seem to be having the exact same problem as you were having with the scheduled scans getting stuck on cleaning. The scan always shows getting stuck in the same place but you say it happens in different times so ill believe you for you seem quite knowledgeable. So you recoment increasing the cpu voltage? how is this done and does it have any bad disadvantages that come with it?
    thank you

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

raising the cpu voltage can be done via the BIOS if your motherboard supports it.

raising the voltage too much can fry your processor so be careful.

7. mudlite

well for some reason it just worked maybe the defragment fixed the problem. im doing a deep scan now so this is the final test and if it works ill be one happy man if it doesnt ill keep trying

8. alglove

Well, I meant to say that raising the CPU voltage was one possible solution, in addition to what YeOldStoneCat had already said. He knows his stuff, too. :)

As for raising the CPU voltage, it is pretty much as WSFuser says. Many motherboards have a setting in the BIOS to let you adjust this. Older motherboards may use jumpers on the motherboard itself to control the voltage. Some motherboards do not have these adjustment settings at all. It totally depends on the motherboard you have. If you happen to know which motherboard you have (or even computer model, like Dell Dimension 4100), I can probably tell you where to look. Also, tell me which CPU you have, so I know what the voltage should be.

Of course, if the defrag worked, then you do not need to worry about any of this. ;)

9. mudlite

well I do thank you YeOldStoneCat for your help becuase i made some progress.
    Here is the bad news. I then ran an in-depth analysis and what do you know it froze up as always at the same spot, so i think im back to increasing the cpu voltage because i want a reliable scanner without worries.

my cpu:2.67 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
    8 kilobyte primary memory cache
    512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

my motherboard:Board: E7205 1.x
    Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
    BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. F3 12/30/2002

The support for NOD32 is a very slow process and i talk to someone different everyt time so this is very easy and I thankyou everyone for your help this is much appreciated, for my last resort is kaspersky or bitdefender, dont want to spend more money;)

10. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    What directory does it freeze in? My hunch..either corrupted files there...or...more likely, hard drive is begging to go, or has a bad spot.

So you made it through a checkdisk? Select both checkboxes for checkdisk? Thorough, and auto-fix? Also ran a defrag?

The defrag should push the hard drive a bit hard..so if it's getting hosed...you might get errors there.

If defrag works in safe mode..try in standard mode.

When you yanked Norton...did you run the SymNRT tool..to more fully remove junk the regular installer services leaves behind?

11. mudlite

well i dont know if the file is corrupted but the first time it happened i deleted the file it was caught on becuase it was unimportant. i ran it again but the scanner got caught on the nero program file which i dont want to delete and i use often with no problems. I dobut its my harddrive because it doenst go under TONS of heavy usage and its not even half way full but i use my maxtor external for all my large files but Norton never hickuped on any file at all. I ran a defrag and disk clean up but now check disk or autofix but how do you run those? i also didnt run SymNRT tool and and also dont know what that is but i did deltete every norton file i found in search file for norton and symatec. And i did have on succesful scan but no luck after that hmmm dont know how much more of this i can handle before giving into kaspersky (i dont want to) but thanks for any replys

12. alglove

Hey, mudlite.

Hmmmm, that is a relatively generic motherboard BIOS name, but I may be able to track it down. In the meantime, I can say that your Pentium 4 2.66 GHz is supposed to run at a voltage of 1.525 V. If you go into your computer's BIOS, you may find a heading that says something like "PC Health", which shows various temperature and voltage readings. Check the Vcore, which is your CPU voltage.

When going through the BIOS, also look for any settings that may pertain to adjusting voltages. If you find any, let me know.

In the meantime, keep trying YeOldeStonecat's suggestions. It is useful to attack this problem from more than one angle.

***EDIT***
    Is this your motherboard? The Gigabyte GA-8INXP?
    http://www.giga-byte.com/Support/Mo...therboard&ProductID=1597&ProductName=GA-8INXP

13. mudlite

Well after raising the cpu voltage the exact same thing happened on the same file. kaspersky is looking better and better:'( but i wont give in yet. further help would be appreciated, maybe old yellowstone was right with the bad harddrive but is their a way i can test for that? thank you for any help

14. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

15. mudlite

just used the tool and all of norton is deleted, im actually not sure if i have in-cd but nero is fully operational so if they are necessary to run the program they are installed and sound very familiar to me anyway. I will rescan soon and inform you of what happens

16. mudlite

what about in-cd would have an effect on my virus scan? (forgot to mention that)

thank you

17. alglove

Well, OK. So it looks like CPU voltage was not the culprit in this case. Go ahead and put it back the way it was, then. Hey, at least you know what motherboard you have now. :shifty:

What brand hard drive do you have? The various hard disk manufacturers have disk checking utilities available for download on their websites.

You can also try the built in Windows disk checker. Right-click C drive --> Properties --> Tools --> Check Now. Check both of the boxes ("Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors"), and hit Start. The scan will not start until after you reboot the computer. It will take a while, so do it sometime when you will not be needing the computer.

The SymNRT that Jellystone and Blackbeard are talking about is a removal tool for Norton Antivirus from Symantec. It gets rid of files and registry entries that are left over, even after doing a proper uninstallation. It is definitely worth running. Oops, you already did that.

18. Blackspear

IN CD has been known to cause issues.

Cheers :D

19. mudlite

I have a maxtor hard drive and will do the harddrive check. i dotn know if in-cd is the problem and if it is uninstalation of it will cause nero not to work so if thats the cause ill have to swtich AV software. whew this is quite the mission but i thank you for all the help, without this id have to put up with nod32 support:mad: , and yes lol i now know what kind of mother board i have, i should have known anyone seeing i ordered it.

20. Blackspear

This is not correct, IN CD is only an option during installation of Nero, it is not a required component, we never install it.

21. alglove

22. mudlite

hmm ill run a hard drive check before i go to bed tonight and let you guys know how that turned out, also i dont think in-cd is installed i think i just have it because it wasnt in my control panel list of installed programs, sorry for the misconception that it was needed though thank you

23. mudlite

I ran a deep scan this morning and it worked! The only difference is that i used that norton tool but the harddrive scan seemed to stop on 57 and i needed the computer so i had to interupt that but when i watched the program scan i seen the nero file come up and was about ready to restart when 25 secnods later it started again. hmm maybe something to do with the fact that it never automaticaly scanned last night because i was scanning the harddrive, i dont know though. I still think that this will happen again though.

24. alglove

Which file is taking so long to scan? I went through my Nero folder, and none of the files took anywhere close to that long to scan. Could it be that you have some 670 MB file stuck in there somewhere? At least that would make some sort of sense.

25. Blackspear

I have seen way too many times issues after uninstalling Norton, that recommendation to use their removal tool is an absolute must.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.