NOD 32 5.0.93.0 & 5.0.94.0:PC freezes when USB HD is connected

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by DD2012, Oct 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The system should normally react to the hotkeys for invoking BSOD manually even if it seems to be frozen.

2. mouser

mouser Registered Member

Yeah that's what I did, set up the hotkeys in registry to trigger memory dump, set up registry to do a "complete" dump.

Then triggered one. No memory dump file written.

I even adjusted the page file to make it large enough to handle the complete memory dump (16gb mem) in case that was the problem.

Now why the dump failed is anyone's guess, but I suspect it's because ESET is completely blocking all file system activity - since that seems to be the root of what happens when eset hangs the computer -- you can kind of click around a little bit but any attempt to access file system, start a program, etc. is locked.

So I suspect that writing a memory dump will not be possible, but I could be wrong.

3. mouser

mouser Registered Member

I'd also buy a new usb dock if doing so would solve the problem - but i have two that are less than a year old, by different companies, that both have this problem.

4. wolliballa

wolliballa Registered Member

I am pretty sure, the dock is OK ( as with the dock, the drive IS a USB drive...)

5. kan

kan Registered Member

Yeah, I realized what is going on a week ago...

Yes, it is a shame for ESET that so important information is not available in changelog and "TOP ISSUES". This is the BIG issue and should/have to be.

Very good summary.

I have got last dev version of ekrn.exe and ekrnAmon.dll, no Nero, no other antivirus softwarea and still no go.
    The only way to use USB HDD drive I have found is to start/restart computer with drive connected to usb port.

6. Marcos

This is not true. As stated on the download page in the changelog:

December 7, 2011 - 5.0.95
    Fix: Computer freezes with external USB hard drive installed on Windows XP

Please generate a memory dump from the moment of a freeze / lockup as per the instructions here. When done, PM me for further instructions.

7. rif

rif Registered Member

But a changelog entry doesnt fix the issue, it still exists.

8. Marcos

Version 5.0.95 fixed the issue for the vast majority of users according to feedback from customer care. Afterwards, we've made additional fix that resolved the issue for a small portion of users who experienced the problems with 5.0.95. The rest is subject for investigation. Among them there are some cases with an older Nero driver responsible for the lockup. As soon as we receive memory dumps from those who installed the latest fix and haven't ever had Nero installed, we'll be able to comment on the cause.

9. rif

rif Registered Member

I can`t believe that this is the cause. That would mean there was no machine with XP and Nero in the Beta-Tests :rolleyes:

10. Marcos

I still haven't received any dumps from those having issues after installation of 5.0.95 and applying the hotfix provided (except one case where the culprit was an obsolete Nero driver). Without a dump we can only speculate about the cause.

11. Darlene123

Darlene123 Registered Member

Hi,
    I first wrote to you about the external hard drives not being recognized when I updated to version 5. I am some what of a novice and do not understand these memory dumps answers. I uninstalled version 5 and went back to version 3. Now everything is working again.
    Now I am buying a new computer, Windows 7 64 bit. Can I still use Version 3 on the new one. I just updated my virus definitions for 2 years until 2014.
    I don't want to mess up a new computer by installing version 3 and not having it work. I do not want to go to another virus program. So basically my question is will version 3 work on Windows 7 64 bit.
    The new computer is a HPE Pavilion Media Center h8 model 1214, Windows 9 installed on it, Windows 7 64 bit, 10Mg ram, AMD Processor 6 core.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  12. wolliballa

Version 3 is quite outdated, there are definitly 64 Bit Versions of 4.x around.
    However problems reported so far only refer to XP SP3-machines.
    My customers Vista / W7 machines work quite well ( 32 /64 Bit ) with 5.x ( at least my machines and there are no reports from my customers)
    Hope that helps with your decision. Your XP system should also work with 4.x ....

13. Darlene123

Darlene123 Registered Member

Thanks Wolliballa,
    If I am understanding you correctly, then it is Windows XP only that is having this problem with the external hard drives.
    So should I install version 4 or version 5? Did anyone using Windows 7 64 bit have a problem with this external hard drive problem?

I didn't feel like reading the whole 6 pages of posts all over again to find this out. I use my 5 external hard drives every day and keep them unplugged until I need something on them. I also have to plug in my cameras and PMP player to load. So having this problem with Nod32, is a real game changer for me.
    Thanks for taking the time to answer me.
    Darlene

14. GreenWhite

GreenWhite Registered Member

This does not bode well for the users with the problem but thanks for the patience and support. As I have concluded long before this, eset seems to have lost the plot with v5.

15. wolliballa

@darlene123

Note I am not associated with ESET, but from own experience and what I have read, USB-Drive problems only have been reported for specific XP SP3 installations ( I personally have 5 machines running, but only one had the problem until I included NOD32 support files and updated NERO, none of my customers has reported problems yet).
    4.2.71 should be fine with XP SP3 .

16. get_it

get_it Registered Member

Hello,

I have ESET Smart Security 5.0.95.0 (latest version) installed on 3 computers all running Win7 x64 with no issues regarding external USB hard drives. Everything works beautifully including other mass storage devices such as USB flash drives and the eject/safely remove function in windows also works perfectly each time. The main external hard drives that i use are Western Digital 1TB My Book [2008] and a Samsung G3 Station 2TB [2011] which has developed a fault and i must RMA it to seagate. However, when it was alive it was functioning well.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  17. mouser

mouser Registered Member

After trying one more time, I believe it's impossible (at least for me) to do a memory dump when this error occurs, because eset blocks disk writing when it happens.

18. Oswald2

Oswald2 Registered Member

I also find that no memory dump occurs when this error occurs. Yes, I do have full memory dumps turned on. For me, the problem went away with NOD32 v 5.0.95.0, but came back when I moved to ESS v 5.0.95.0.

19. Marcos

Check this thread which contains a link to a reg file that enables manual generation of memory dumps for both usb and ps2 keyboards.

If you use a USB keyboard and no dump is generated after pressing Ctrl+ScrollLock twice, try using a PS2 keyboard instead.

20. mouser

mouser Registered Member

Marcos,

I don't believe the problem is TRIGGERING the memory dump -- I don't know about Oswald but i can TRIGGER it.. the problem is that whatever eset is doing to fubar the system -- it has to do with blocking all disk writes, and so the memory dump fails to happen.

At least thats how it appears to me.

I have now rebooted a hung machine dozes of times trying to solved this -- some of them involving lost data before i discovered eset was to blame for this mess. I have messed with the registry in an attempt to save dump files. I have also downloaded and installed the new beta drivers from this forum that attempt to fix the problem.

I have also purchased an external esata dock in hopes this was a usb problem -- no good, the problem happens with the esata external drives too -- so warning to anyone else suffering from this who thinks they can solve it by using esata.

So far Marcos has gone above and beyond in trying to help people but after months i find it extremely troubling that eset does not seem to be taking this insanely unacceptable behavior of their software seriously. Can you guys really not find the change you put in your software in the last version that is causing this, and have some way to stop it from completely hanging our computers? Can you post something about the problem and at least pretend you guys are working on a fix? Do you want us to take up a collection to help you buy a windows xp x64 computer so you can do your own tests on this?

Marcos this is not addressed at you -- you have been great -- but this incident has completely reversed my opinion about Eset and convinced me that Eset should be avoided at all costs. I feel like an idiot for sticking with this for so long.

Can you give us some instructions on the best way to request a refund and let sales department know that this problem is why we need a refund?

21. kjz

kjz Registered Member

My suspicion: it may be caused by a very essential part of the new version 5 (e. g. HIPS, Drivers, etc.) and to eliminate this bug such an essential part must be 'kicked out' from the software or an essential part must be clompetely rewritten. Both options may be not very pleasant for Eset. I thought systems running WinXPSP3 are still very wide spread and wonder why this bug was not detected during the beta tests.

22. Marcos

I haven't come across a case where drivers would be responsible for preventing memory dumps from being written to the disk. Could you please verify it by uninstalling v5 and generating a memory dump manually then? Let me know about your findings, I'm really curious about them.

Most of the cases related to lockup issues on Windows XP were solved by installing 5.0.95. After that we made another fix which helped 1-2 guys who posted at Wilders'. An analysis of the other issues discovered that it was a 3rd-party software responsible for the lockups as they were locking up mount manager at a point where they shouldn't. A list of problematic software/drivers known so far can be found here. If you have any of the drivers present on your system, renaming it in safe mode should fix the issue.

A fix has already been made. As I have mentioned, we've found the issue to
    be related to 3rd party software/drivers in cases where the fix did not help. So far we haven't received any dumps that would show ESET to be the culprit. As written above, please try uninstalling v5 and then generating a memory dump to find out if it's generated fine then.
    We're not going to give up features like blocking of removable media or automatic media scan just because other software/drivers are not written properly. If there's still an ongoing issue on ESET's part which can be proved by memory dump we should be able to make a fix reasonably quickly. However, all dumps we've received so far showed that the problem is not on our part.

This should not be a problem if you contact the sales department of your distributor / reseller and explain them the situation.

23. layman

layman Registered Member

It isn't fine for me -- presumably because I updated to v5 and then reverted to v4. Problem never occurred prior to that.

24. Oswald2

Oswald2 Registered Member

I was missing a step, and one of the things was that a left-Ctrl-ScrollLock twice does not work, but I read on the Microsoft site that a right-Ctrl-ScrollLock was needed. That did the trick, and I got it, and PMed you earlier. Awaiting instructions on how to send the 2Gb dump in.

25. Marcos

Instuctions sent. I as well as many other guys here will be eager to know what your memory dump will show. Will keep you posted about our findings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.