NO USB Mouse/Keyboard on acronis boot disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by xgman, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xgman

xgman Registered Member

On my 5xxx series intel server board, there is no support for the Linux based boot cd's of any kind for usb mice and keyboards. Therefore it's useless unfortunately. KBd and mouse works perfectly fine on any sort of Windows PE based boot disk however such as used in Northon Ghost, ShadowProtect, Spotmau, ERD Commender, etc. I have tried in vein to build a bart style boot disk with acronis plugin but failed there as well. Quite frankly I should NOT have to go to these sort of home made building disk measures to get this product to work. My question is is there a pre made boot disk that will work with acronis home true image products and therefore allow me to use this product? Other than home made hybrid boot disks, does Acronis have any solution for the no mouse/keybd scenario? Clearly there is a problem with using Linux boot disks on certain platforms. Any help would be appreciated.

2. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Hi xgman, sorry to hear you are having trouble, I had the same problem with TI 9 a couple of years back. No keyboard and no mouse. It was suggested that I hit the F11 key before selecting the full or safe mode and then writing usbmouse=off ( I think that was the command) this was in the sticky "please read before you post". I don't see that command in the sticky now. My question was " how can I type anything if my keyboard doesn't work", although hitting F11 did. I fooled around until I hit the "tab" key and all of a sudden I could print in the box. If you are able to hit the F11 key and have something happen (Ie: it opens a command line) then try hitting the "tab" key ( maybe you'll get lucky too) try writing quiet acpi=off noapic
    Talk about strange when I updated from Win 98 to Xp the same mouse and keyboard worked with the old "rescue CD"!
    Apparently you can build commands into the "rescue CD" (I have never done it sorry). You are right a Vistape should not have to be made, but it does work! and you will get a lot of good help here if needed.
    I wish I could be of more help,Best of luck to you!

3. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Just e-mail Acronis support - explaining the problem and they may be able to send you an amended ISO to allow you to build a new working CD

4. dougaross

dougaross Registered Member

Build a VistaPE disk. The instructions on how to do it are outstanding and eaily followed.

5. shieber

shieber Registered Member

With ATI11, you can specify, for example, the usbmouse=off parameter to be included on the bootCD when you create the CD. One of the new features of ATI11 that actually works.

6. xgman

xgman Registered Member

Look, I've built computers and am no dummy, but, don't you think that maybe this should not be necessary to go to these means for a "paid" program? If Linux is incompatible with certain configs, they should provide an alternative that doesn't have to be hand built by the user. Anyway, they haven't responded to my inquiries, so I guess they don't really care. I'll punt I guess. :(

7. xgman

xgman Registered Member

That did not work for me for whatever reason.

8. xgman

xgman Registered Member

Why does Acronis not respond to this or a case I logged with them? Is there support really this bad?

9. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

WHAT alternative?

And:
    The support isn't bad.
    Do you have registered at Acronis and opened an issue?

10. shieber

Support seems to be seriously backlogged due to all thebugs in ATI11.

Thre's lots of threads on this forum about the problem you're having.

11. xgman

xgman Registered Member

Yes over a week old and no response. Oh well. . . . :rolleyes:

12. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

Do you have an issue number?
    Then post it here. With a little fortune the AcronisSupport read that and can investigate the progress of the issue.

BTW:
    I can feel with you concerning the long delay.
    But if you read other threads here you can estimate what Acronis Support has to do :eek: .

13. xgman

xgman Registered Member

Nevermind. I'll use another product or find an alternative way. I give up on Acronis and would not recommend them to anyone. Some of the worst customer service I have ever encountered. :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

14. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello xgman,

Thank you for using Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Could you please let us know your Acronis request number (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? We will find out how the investigation of your issue is going. If you have not received an autoreply then please send us a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

Meanwhile, please make sure you use the latest build of the respective version of Acronis True Image. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after updating.

If the latest build doesn't solve the problem, please check for "Legacy USB support" (or similar) BIOS setting, and change its value. Please also try "usbmouse=off" with that change.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If you are not able to create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) then please do the following:

- Boot your computer from Acronis Bootable Rescue Media and press F11 key when the selection screen advising you to select either "Full", "Safe" or "Boot into Windows" option appears.
    - After you get the "Linux kernel command line" prompt, remove the word "quiet", click on the OK button and choose "Full Version".

When the screen stop scrolling please write down the output information you receive (last 5-10 lines), or use a digital camera to make shots of the output screen. You can use Shift+PgUp and Shift+PgDn keys to scroll the screen manually.

Then send the collected information with a reply to the message with your Acronis request number. We will do our best to investigate the problem and provide you with a solution.

P.S. Please also note that a possible workaround is to use a BartPE-based bootable CD created using Acronis True Image plug-in for BartPE and allowing one to boot the computer into a Windows-like environment loading the appropriate drivers for any hardware devices installed in the computer at startup. You can download the BartPE plug-in from "Registered products" page when logged into your account on Acronis website.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

15. xgman

xgman Registered Member

I am sorry, but that is way too much work to send a customer through to use a product. You should have a downloadable fully functioning PE environment boot disk available for those that can't use the Linux based one. Forced plugins, linux command lines etc, sheesh, just provide a working solution that the customer doesn't have to build themselves. That is why we purchase products, so we don't have to build them from scratch.

16. shieber

Yes, The sysinfo stuff is a bit much for the average use and novices. Someday, we hope, they will automate the steps in a program the way Nero does so all you have to do is download and run one command than send the data file to the Techs.

You can try diff brands of backup/imaging software and see which is easiest to use -- most offer free trials. None of them work on all hardware setups andthe collection of features varies too. We'd all love it if one company could make one prog that worked for everyone. Unfortunately, the one that comes closest has the least features and so, isn't the right cup of meat for everyone.

17. xgman

xgman Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried almost all of the backup/clone programs on the market. I like the acronis program in windows and the fact that it doesn't rely on VSS to make images, but the lack of a ready made cross platform boot disk is a deal killer for me and I think is a huge oversight. From my googling on this issue, I see that I am not the only one who feels this way. I'll revisit it when and if it provides one.

18. GeoffA

GeoffA Registered Member

Maybe this is a no-brainer solution from a novice but ....

All I did was to dig through my box of left over computer wires etc and dug out an adapter to change the USB, for my keyboard, to the round plug. (I think it is called PS2.)

Anyhow, after plugging that into the purple round socket at the back of my computer, all works fine and my boot disks get me going.

19. xgman

xgman Registered Member

good suggestion, but my server board doesn't have a ps/2 plug.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.