No Updates - Spybot S&D

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by marvinw3, May 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marvinw3

marvinw3 Registered Member

No Updates

The last update to SpyBot I have been able to get was 3-09-04. Each time I "Search for Updates" I get message that no new updates are available. Is 3-09-04 the last update or do I have another problem?
    Thanks.

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Re: No Updates

Marvin,

To be on the sure side: Spybot is no Javacool Software. Are you sure about the name?

regards.

paul

3. ennyoueffsea

ennyoueffsea Registered Member

Hi Marvin and Paul,

I've been having the same thing happening to me. Earlier this week, I even uninstalled and reinstalled Spybot in case the one I had was not right. New download still has no updates available.

Many thanks,

Terry

4. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I've been hearing all over the place that it's been ages since the last Spybot S&D update, if it's been agreed that's the one we're talking about.

And of course anti-spyware (or at least the kinds that use specific definitions) are like anti-virus, next to useless if definitions aren't kept right up to date.

Ad-Aware will miss things that Spybot will catch and vice-versa -- the biggest difference between them is that Lavasoft has been excellent about keeping Ad-Aware's definitions up to date. So you might want to think about relying more on A-A, at least until things get straightened out with Spybot.

5. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I do believe you will find the primary reason for a lack of Spybot S&D updates is because their small crew is currently working very hard on a new release candidate version of their program. I agree with Mike that for now Ad-Aware will probably be your primay spyware detector, but it won't be long before the new full-release Spybot S&D is out, in my opinion. Do note I don't form this opinion on any solid insider info or anything - lol - I just figure it won't be long.

6. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Nothing personal, Detox, but I've found Webroot Spy Sweeper a better product. Not that AdAware is a bad product, because it's not . I still use them both, but since I've installed Spy Sweeper, AdAware scans has not found a single thing on my PC. When I first installed Spy Sweeper, after an AdAware scan, Spy Sweeper found a half-dozed items. If I had to rely on only one - I would select Spy Sweeper

7. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi Dazed_and_Confused

Please keep your comments towards what the thread is about, SpyBot Updates.

No offense intended.

snowbound

8. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Snowbound - None taken. In an attempt to help MarvinW3, Detox justifiably raised the issue of alternatives. I was simply giving my own. :p

9. Nick

Nick Registered Member

Remember, Ad Aware had a long period when they did not update version 5.8, which included the pay version. I believe that Ad-Aware's lack of updates from that time was over 3 months. So, it is not just Spybot who has done this. Hopefully, Spybot will get something ready for the general public soon, or I may have to start rumbling again.

10. marvinw3

marvinw3 Registered Member

thanks to all for the info and advice. Will probably try an alternative in the mean time as an alternative.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.