No Support from Acronis!!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by plockery, Aug 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plockery

plockery Registered Member

I put together a new PC just over a month ago and discovered that the media rescue disk no longer worked on my new computer. It has always worked without a hitch on my old PC. It came up with the familiar error "can't find any hard drives". It works on the safe version but not the full version and if you do a recovery from within windows that requires a reboot, it will not work either.
    I have the latest builds of TI9 and DD10. Both programs work from withing windows XP (except where TI needs to reboot to complete its operation).

I sent a support request to Acronis on 8th July with medium priority but have received nothing but an automated reply (#1580724).
    I tried sending an email to support quoting the job number to ask for a reply two weeks later. Nothing!!

It seems clear that Acronis is no longer interested in supporting registered users for what is an obvious fault in their program.

Up to this point I have thought TI and DD was some of the best software I had ever purchased.
    But now I find myself without a reliable recovery method and a company who can't be bothered helping me.

I have put this post up in the hope that someone from Acronis might happen to see it and actually do something!

Peter - a very disappointed user!

2. tuttle

tuttle Guest

ATI9 is what, over two years old? You said that you just got this new PC a month ago. How can you expect a two-year-old software package to automatically recognize all new drive types?

There are solutions to this, which you'll find in these forums.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

You should get an answer even if it isn't one you will like.

However, you are 2 versions out of date. If I were you, I would try the trial version of TI11 and see if that fixes the problem. Acronis is unlikely to provide a whole lot of updated support for TI9.

The other option is the Bart/Vista PE disk with the appropriate drivers for your new system.

4. plockery

In reply to tuttle:

My complaint was about the lack of any support reply, not that I expected TI9 should work on everything always. But since both programs worked perfectly well from within windows, I did not see, in my limited understanding, why the rescue disk TI9 created should not also work when booting up with the same hardware.

I did in fact, however, contemplate upgrading to TI11 which I thought would probably solve the problem and I was quite willing to do so. However, I have searched these forums and found many posts that complained about the same or a similar error I was getting with TI 11. So that did not fill me with confidence!!

If there is a solution in these forums then please point me in the right direction as I have not been able to find it.

I still maintain that I should have been given a reply before this - some 5 weeks later - even if the reply was simply tell me to upgrade to TI11 and everything should be ok.
    In terms of support it is simply very poor form not to reply at all!

To seekforever:

I have been trying to download the trial version of TI 11 tonight but the web site keeps telling me the service is unavailable. I will keep trying.
    However, again, one fo the reasons I had not done that to date is that people in these forums have complained that the trial version of TI11 did not solve the same or similar errors for them. Hopefully it will for me.

I am not aware of what the bart/vista PE disk is. Can you point me in the right direction here? I don't use Vista at all - only XP.

5. seekforever

See part way down in this thread the 3rd and 4th items under Wilders Security Threads on Common True Image Problems and Solutions

BartPE is written by a fellow named Bart and it mimics the Windows Preparation Environment which is provided by Microsoft to their commercial customers for setting up PCs. The virtue of it as far as TI goes is that it is a form of Windows and uses the Windows drivers which typically means far better device support than Linux - which is a weakness in TI and the cause of many restore problems.

Although it supports the typical PC without any modifications, if you have some newer hardware you can add its driver to the BartPE configuration. It looks a little intimidating at first to create a BartPE CD but the process is highly automated. VistaPE is a similar thing but based on Vista.

6. Al_C

Al_C Registered Member

I have to agree with this thread. I get nowhere myself when I try to get tech support. I could see if my problem were lack of knowledge or understanding on my part, but that is not the case. I am a professional network administrator. The problem I reported was an obvious bug in the program, specifically that it hangs the instant it connects to a remote computer.

Yet two messages in a row to tech support brought nothing but automated replies to the effect that I can be "assured" that they are working on it. Surely they can do better than this.

7. plockery

Thanks seekforever for the information.

I have downloaded an earlier trial version of TI11 (version 8053), ran off a media rescue disk and it appears to be working ok. Have ony just managed to be able to download the latest trial version from the Acronis web site.

I don't think I will upgrade to TI11 yet as there seems to be so much negative feedback going on that I thought I might wait. TI9 does all I need it to and now I seem to have a media rescue disk that works with my new hardware.

RE Bart PE one last question. The acronis plugin - is the plugin by mustang the only one available?
    Acronis web site says that a plugin supposed to be available from TI9.1 onwards, but I can't find it (we have TI9.1 server at work). Then there is this plugin for TI8 but I have trouble dowloading it again.
    Can you clear up what plugin I can use for TI9 and above (I know mustang has plugins for each version)?

Thanks again.

Peter

8. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Just one thing to note, which is, TI11 changed the algorithm used for image files. Whilst it will read TI9 images without a problem, make sure you don't make an image with the rescue CD using v11 and then try and restore or mount it with the Windows version of TI9, 'cos it won't work.

Colin

9. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

The BartPE plug-in for version 9 Home is included in the installation file, but is not installed by default. You have to choose Custom in order to install it. It should be the same for Version 8. It is only from Version 11 Home that the Plug-In was not in the installation file.

10. seekforever

AFAIK, the TI8 plugin was only available by download and this changed for TI9 as you point out. A minor point, the format change in TI9 was part way through the build sequence (I don't remember the build number). So the earlier TI9 versions used the same format as TI8.

11. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

i am licensed for 3 products
    - Ti echo workstation & universla restore
    - Ti Home 11
    - Disk Director

i sent a request for support on the 5th of august, it is now the 18th August and NO support yet..
    shockingly bad support, although they make fine (slightly buggy) software i wont purchase another product from them.

:thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

12. moorrbrt1

moorrbrt1 Registered Member

I have had the same problem. Acronis has a good product, at least in my estimation, but they do not seem to support it very well.

13. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

I cannot complain... Click

14. littleneil

littleneil Registered Member

I can! I respond to their requests for more information and never hear back! It's been weeks. I recently initiated a new request for the same problem and am getting :thumbd: the same response...zero!

15. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

plockery, as I can see, your case is being worked upon, and you will receive another reply as soon as possible.

Please notice that, as was explained, Acronis True Image 9 Home is an old version, and doesn't always support modern hardware. It would work within Windows since there it operates hardware through Windows drivers.

Al_C, moorrbrt1 and littleneil, could you please let us know your Acronis request number (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? We will find out how the investigation of your issue is going. If you have not received an autoreply then please send us a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

kC_, please check your Private Messages.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.