No MSN Messenger, Hotmail, Microsoft, etc.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Morfeo, Nov 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morfeo

Morfeo Registered Member

During the last 5 days I haven't been able to access Real Player, MSN Messenger, Hotmail, Microsoft and probably 50% or more of the websites that I usually access.:(

When I try to sign in to Windows Live Messenger I get the following message:
    Sorry, we were unable to sign you into Windows Live Messenger at this time. Please, try again later.
    Let us try and troubleshoot the problem, click the Troubleshoot button.
    Error Code: 80072efd

When I go to the Troubleshooter, I get the following message:
    Failed to connect to the service. This could be due to improper proxy or firewall, settings, please review your proxy and firewall settings. Proxy setting can be accessed through Windows Live Messenger Options. For Firewall settings, please see the retailer's instructions.I have Windows Firewall but it is OFF.

If I try to open Hotmail, Microsoft (or related websites), etc., I get the following message:
    Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.
    Most likely causes:
    * You are not connected to the Internet
    * The website is encountering problems
    * There might be a typing error in the address

I called my ISP and they say my Internet connection is ok. I ran Trend Micro Online Spyware Scan, Ewido Antisypare and Antimalware Scan (online) & McAfee Freescan and everything was ok.

How can I fix ito_O?

I have the following programs:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    IE Version 7.0.5730.11
    Spywareblaster 3.5.1
    Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06r1
    Avast! 4.7 Home Edition

2. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

There are a lot of reasons why you cannot connect to your applications. I have experienced what you are seeing, but it was due to problems with connecting to my dialup service. On a few occassions, I would be able to log on to my internet server, but yet nothing responds (such as my browser and IM programs). I have a dialog box that shows incoming and outgoing byte counts, so if it just stays at the same values, I know that the ISP server is not responding. Many times my ISP service seems to not respond even though it accepted my signon. I call tech support and they only say they don't know what is going on and will report the problem. o_O

Check to make sure that you are actually transmitting and receiving data on your modem. In my case, browser "no finds" may mean a company website is down. If my IM programs (such as AOL IM, Yahoo chat, MSN chat, or ICQ) don't successfully load up, then I know my connection is not good (even if I successfully signed on). BTW, Live Messenger and the Troubleshooter probably needs to contact a server after you have logged on so if your ISP is not responding, nothing will work (other than the non-Internet applications).

Other members of this forum can probably offer some ways for you to test your connection.

3. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.